Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Mic Recommendations

Black Licorice

(edited)

Yeah, so I've got a few pony/non-pony songs that I'm hoping to record. There's only ONE small problem: I don't have a decent mic for recording. The reason I say that is because I've got a built-in mic on my Hipstreet mp3 player that's utter s--- (pardon my language). Anyway, I'm hoping you guys have any recommendations for a decent mic at a low price because I'm itching to get them recorded. Thanks!

Edited by Emerald Shadows
  • Brohoof 1

I'm also interested in this. I record on my turtle beach x12's and most of my recordings have some kind of vocal fade for some reason and it makes it really hard to get a decent take.

I highly recommend the Shure SM58 as a nice microphone for vocals, and a Tascam US-122 USB as the midi controller. If you find a good deal on ebay, the whole setup will cost you around $150. Also, pick up a decent desk microphone stand. They run like $15.00. If you want a sample, I can send you one.

what's a midi controller do? and I'd like to see your setup so I can get a feel of how much space I'd need to set aside for recording

(edited)

Something was here. Something was here. Something was here. Something was here. Something was here. 

Edited by NONAME
  • Brohoof 1

I shure can! <-- See what I did there?

You sir are very humorous. Thanks for the help I'm thinking about spending my first paycheck on getting a quality mic setup so this helps a lot.  Why do I need a printer cable?

(edited)

I use a Shure SM-57 myself, and it fits all my needs quite nicely. It's pretty much the all-round "do everything" mic, so you can record anything from vocals to acoustic guitar to electric guitar/bass amps with it...I even used it to record my little sis playing flute once, and it worked great for that, too. I don't know what your budget is like, but at a mere $99 this thing is quite a steal!

Edited by Lowline

I hear that allot about the SM-57, that being said, the US-122 has guitar ins. So that has never been a determining factor for me.

In that case it would be up to a matter of taste, as I would personally never even dream of going D/I for (distorted) guitars. There's always been something about miking guitar amps that has struck me as distinctly more "organic" sounding, but that could just be the audio snob in me talking. tongue.png

(edited)

Something was here. Something was here. Something was here. Something was here. Something was here. 

Edited by NONAME
  • Brohoof 1

I have a wicked Vox, I never tried recording the output from it though. That sounds like a neat idea. I usually just plug the Hohner straight into my US122. Want to see my old guitar by the way. Custom Strat USA.

[image]

That, my friend, is a very sexy guitar, I must admit. ohmy.png

What styles of music do you play, by the way? I mic my amps because it seems to produce the most "classic" sounding tones for metal and hard rock, but D/I can have its own advantages depending what kind of sound you're going for...

(edited)

Something was here. Something was here. Something was here. Something was here. Something was here. Something was here. Something was here. Something was here.

Edited by NONAME

I make noise mainly. However, I enjoy playing spanish, classical, country, and soft rock.

I like to play the mandolin, banjo, guitar, harmonica, saxophone  dobro  dulcimer, harp, bass, violin. Basically if it has strings I play it. However, all I have left is an amp and a harmonica at the moment. I had to sell my instruments, including that beauty up there, when my life went to hell. However, I hope to get another classical guitar soon. I miss my Alvarez.

Ouch, sorry to hear you had to let all of that go...I wish you the best in regaining your stock of instruments over time.

Still, it's pretty awesome that you know how to play such a wide variety of instruments, it certainly would open up a whole lot of creative opportunities for recording various types of folk music.

For normal talking I would recommend just a headset like the Turtle beach x12

However for music I recommend the Audio Technica AT2020

Hope this helps