Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

(Request Feature) Playback Randomization

Solar☼Flare

This is a feature I would like to request if possible. A playback randomization option where you select a genre and then select something along the lines of a "Play Random," and it will play random songs without you having to click on them. I hate to use this as an example, but like what Pandora uses. I don't know if this is a possibility, this is just a request after all.

Sincerely,

~Solar

I think Feld0's planning on something like this, as it seems to be an oft-requested feature (and one that I personally would use quite a bit myself as well).

Pony.fm has a "random" list available which gives you 20 random tracks, letting you play them back in order. The idea here, however, is to essentially create a "random" sorting option that can be applied to any search query. Is that right?

• Brohoof 1

Pony.fm has a "random" list available which gives you 20 random tracks, letting you play them back in order. The idea here, however, is to essentially create a "random" sorting option that can be applied to any search query. Is that right?

That is correct.

• 1 month later...

Bump time!

The way that selecting a random result set from the database works, it has to be done a very specific way to avoid performance issues. I'd love to have this added in myself, but some tricky query magic will need to be done to make it work in a fast and efficient manner.

It's on the list now, but consider it a lower-priority item. We're currently working on a huge update to Pony.fm that's going to overhaul a lot of things, and various sorting options for tracks (not just random, but other ones like popularity and release date) are something that might be best added with that.

• Brohoof 1