Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

private Whisper II: Kingdom of Darkness

BlackShardNixium

OOC: http://mlpforums.com/topic/64694-whisper-ii-kingdom-of-darkness/

~~~Thank you, all of you, for participating in the Whisper roleplay series. It means so much to me! I give a special thanks to Thunder Knight for Co-DMing with me and coming up with a good portion of the elements used in the RP. You are all an inspiration. Enjoy the final part of our story, a story each an every one of you helped to create.

-Blackshard~~~

~~~~~~Begin Act Two~~~~~~~

At the same moment in time, in another place far off, yet just as dark, the final extent of the fault line in an obsidian stone appears, severing the object in two. The Crystal Heart encasing the gem had withered and blackened long ago, corrupted and evil. He is completely free at last, no longer bound. He is thirsty, oh so hungry.

Souls, He decides. He needs more souls, powerful souls.

The apparition slowly leaking from the severed gem is thick and tar-like, and the air surrounding it bends and shrieks, the fabric of existence shuttering at His arrival. It is a metallic groaning, like twisting metal and nails on a chalkboard. The Presence stands tall and proud, his malicious, fanged grin shining bright in the misty darkness surrounding him. His eyes are the crimson reflection of the blood of the many He’d slaughtered, and that of those He’d yet to kill. He existed in each plane: Past, Present, and Future. His flickering form and steady gaze haunted each moment in history, his deformed, clawed hooves serving as malevolent guides to the events that created him. None could hide from his gaze. Lightning, black and hungry like the soul that no longer existed within him, like the scaly, tar-like mist that was his being, impaled the already forlorn misty backdrop. He threw back his head with a screaming, screeching laugh of retribution as the spears of black, magical electricity struck the remnants of the Crystal Empire. The gems acted as conductors, connecting each dully glittering spire with dark energy. The ground shook, the earth heaving underneath Him, yet He stood absolutely still, a manic grin plastered on his face. With an almighty crack, the surface of the world shattered, a large, uneven fault line dividing the city in two. Reaching his omnipotent grasp down, down, down into the world he grinned in triumph as he easily grasped his query. The unfortunate demons that had been within His reach in the section of Tartarus He’d just split wide open were consumed quickly. All his glorious strength was finally beginning to return after the twenty long years he’d spent in the accursed stone. He grinned viciously at the remembered moment of His victory against the Royal Sisters. Their deaths had assured His return. Up from the crack also rose the thousands of vengeful spirits existing merely to torture, kill, and maim. Ghoulish, disfigured, and malevolent, they turned towards their new Lord and Master, mouths gaping in moaning wails of hunger and hatred. They would feast upon the souls of the living.

He spread his scaly, sparsely feathered wings, misty tar dripping from the tips of the ragged plumage, a dark beacon to his new army. As He took to the air, He gazed down in satisfaction at the split Crystal Empire, the depth of the crack reaching all the way to Tartarus itself. Surely some of the demons would be curious; they’d surface from their hellish prisons and only add to the delicious chaos. He smirked at the thought. With a roar, He summoned the Black Lightning, the tendrils of energy tangling within each other, crackling with friction and power. A noise, louder than that of thunder, rings out across the realm, and the sky splits open, much like the earth did. A large, gaping hole hangs in the sky above the Crystal Empire, a mouth leading to despairing nothingness. No time, no space, no existence. Any who entered would be virtually deleted from reality. Yes, He had big plans for Equestria. He turned around, in the direction he knew Canterlot would be. It was time he had a chat with the King.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

The King gazed with tired eyes from the balcony of the castle. His twenty years of reprieve were long over, and he knew that soon the very thing that had haunted his dreams since that fateful expedition would soon come for him. He was; however, already resigned to his destiny. He’d accepted long after the deaths of Princesses Celestia and Luna that he, too, would perish at the hooves of the Presence. It was only befitting that he die as his comrades did.

He was terribly conflicted. As anypony would be, he was wary of death, yet at the same time, he yearned for peace. He had never been meant to shoulder the burden of an entire kingdom, and he knew perfectly well he’d done a less than perfect job. However, he also knew that all his careful planning for this moment had not been for nothing. The Headmaster of the Academy had done his part wonderfully. It was now up to the students. He could only hope that by the end of things they’d understand. His eyes closed as his final memory of the Princesses haunted his mind.

“General Dire, you must leave us now!” the commanding cry of Princess Luna rang above the sounds of desperate battle.

“No! You need me, and this fight is far from over!” came the retort of a younger, battered stallion.

Another explosion rings out, another wave of nauseating darkness settles over them, clouding their already obstructed and limited vision.

“General! It is obvious now that there is only one option left to defeat the Presence and free our home.” Princess Celestia has landed beside the pair, blood dripping from the many lacerations on her body.

“You must clear the area. The backlash will be extensive.” Luna chimes in.

Unable to protest and running out of ideas, General Dire nods his head, not at all predicting what would happen next. He is a safe distance away when the final wave hits him. He falls to ground, choking in the smoke and magic. When he lifts his head, everywhere there is mist. Grey and dull. The Sun winks out from existence and, with a sinking feeling; he knows the moon has done the same. He had not even considered the possibility of the Princesses giving their lives to destroy the evil homunculus. He has no strength, not even to cry. He can do nothing more than return to the site of their battle. As he’d predicted, there is nothing left. Nothing but a single obsidian stone that he grasps numbly; he returns to Canterlot. Princess Cadence and Shining Armor are quick to his aid, and he is just as quick to explain what happened.

A bargain is made. The obsidian stone is hidden inside the Crystal Heart.

Five years later… the Crystal Empire disappears.

The King opened his eyes to see a dark cloud in the distance. It is his approaching doom, a death sentence silently flying towards him, and he is sure that His horde will not be far behind. With a despairing glance downward, towards the citizens he’d done a rubbish job ruling over for twenty years, and prayed with every fiber of his being that those students would succeed where he failed….

• Brohoof 2

Nexus kept a brisk pace as he followed behind the changeling lord known as Moon Crypt. He was apart of the Inquisitors, a elite band of Royal Guards that served as the personal protectors and agents of the Royal Sisters. The hunter was told that his own father, Axel Tersona, was an Inquisitor, serving as the personal Guard for Princess Luna, and had been in the battle against the Presence. The only survivors were the current King, Moon Crypt, and Axel. The latter two were sent away by the Princesses, returned to their homes. while the King played a much bigger role. It wasn't until a few years later that Axel would perish in a changeling invasion, protecting his only son; Nexus. Now his sole heir bore his Inquisitor armor, the emblem for the groups revealed on the chest piece. And he would wear it proud.

Nexus was brought here with 10 others under the guise of a contract to the Crystal Empire. Instead they were dumped in the hellish Delvia. Ground Zero for the incident for the Presence. It was filled with soulless zombies and mutated squid ponies. He managed to find their base of operations under Town Hall, along with Arianna and White Rose, and it was here that he met Resh, the demon summoned by the Presence to work towards his release. He tried to take them prisoner, to capture the Tarot holders, as he called him. It was because of Moon Crypt that they were able to escape, but not before Nexus defeated the demons robot companion in a fierce battle. 

They now had a handbook for the slimys, and a log from the research project that caused this chaos, along with a little mutated filly that was named Fen. They were told that they wielded Tarot cards, a power that they could use in the fight to come. They also learned that the ones behind the incident were none other the the bearers of the Element of Harmony. Nexus didn't know how they were going to stop Resh, the Presence, or where the Elements are now, let alone how the slimys played into it, but he would do all he could to stop this evil, because if they didn't, Equestria would fall.

Soon they found themselves at the base of operations for the last of the Inquisitors, where they would convene and come up with a strategy, a plan of action. The hunter looked down at his armor, specifically the emblem for the long dead group. The group that disbanded after the King struck down the Grand Inquisitor in a fit of rage. His mind filled with different thoughts, some on his dad, the mission, the Presence, some even on his companions. The thoughts were shaken off as they entered their new base of operations.

Red lowered the binoculars, turned away from the glassless window and sighed. Morale was at a low. There'd been losses to the team, and some of the group were taking it harder than others. They had found one more. Well, she'd been there when they'd got there, but still. New meat was always good.

Standoff was in the basement. He wished that there was something to do. The cooldown still wasn't allowing for a major shift, and he was going stir-crazy.

The faint fire of a lantern illuminated the earth mare as she inspected the, recently patched up, wounds. If it wasn’t for the kindness offered by Inquisitor Moon Crypt, Lume would have most likely died out in the open of the mysterious city of Delvia. With coldblooded, tentacle monsters of all kinds roaming around, it would be impossible to survive without help – much less without a weapon. Now, luckily she only needed the latter.

How did she get there anyway? All she remembered was being on her way to investigate the Crystal Empire, being oddly summoned by the King itself. She then most likely fainted and woke up at the gates of that city. Not only that, was Moon Crypt really somepony to trust in, and were all of his explanations true? More than scared, Lume was doubtful. She just wanted to go back to the “real world” as soon as possible. But then again, how? She didn’t know what exactly was going on in that place, so she could just pray for it all to become clear soon enough. If she was a little more unrealistic, she would close her eyes and hope to wake up from a nightmare. But that wasn’t an option.

Moon Crypt was taking fairly long to return, Lume was almost about to start getting worried. In those kinds situation, she would do what she always does when she seeks some peace: Read a good book. However, as soon as she reached her saddlebag (that was next to the door of the room), she was able to hear Inquisitor’s voice from afar. Her expression became more serious as she started to reason out the possibilities. Was the Inquisitor talking to somepony? Would it be more enemies, or – less likely – friends? If there were, in fact, friendly beings, would they know how to get back? Putting down her saddlebag in the exact same spot, Lume exited the room and followed the voices while frequently taking breaths of courage.

Before making the last turn towards the room where the Inquisitor was, she slowed down, being as careful as she could and preparing herself for the worst. In an impulse, Lume exclaimed: “Lord Moon Crypt?... “ As she entered the room. “Is everything alright? I heard voic--“

There was, indeed, a group of ponies – for her surprise, just like her: messy, covered in dust, some of them with confused expressions – speaking to Inquisitor Moon Crypt. Lume was frozen. A mixture of feelings, such as happiness and fear, took over her body. The mare slowly walked towards Moon Crypt – who was luckily the closest to her – and stood by his side. “Lord Moon Crypt…” She began. “Who are these ponies?”

((OOC: There's that~ ...Please, do warn me if I did anything wrong. :s))

• Brohoof 1

@,

(Might as well get some character interaction going.)

Nexus looked over to the new arrival-an earth pony mare with a dark orange coat and two tone green mane-and decided to make some introductions.

"Hi there, welcome to uhh...well let's just call this place Base until a better name presents itself. My name is Nexus Tersona." He said with a smile, extending a hoof to the earth pony. They all knew the feeling of confusion-hell, the bat pony still dealt with it-but he found that some simple companionship always helped.

@@ActFast231,@, (Shall I assume that the two went ahead?)

Standoff emerged from the door and cleared his throat. "Right, we need to get a reinforced door. That thing isn't going to hold off zombies. Do we have sheet metal to get over the windows? How much food is stocked up?"

Red sighed, hearing Standoff's 'taking charge' voice downstairs. Looking to the rifle leaning against the wall beside the wall, he noticed a Squiddy on a roof, looking back. Not thinking twice, Red took the rifle and dropped the mutant, muttering to himself. "Don't care how agile you are, nopony outruns a .50."

"Hi there, welcome to uhh...well let's just call this place Base until a better name presents itself. My name is Nexus Tersona." He said with a smile, extending a hoof to the earth pony.

At that moment, Lume almost fully regretted her decision of walking into the room. That group of "ponies" had the most odd members she'd probably ever seen. That Nexus one, for instance... were those... bat wings?

@@ActFast231,

Nonetheless, she responded to him. "Yeah, yeah... I do believe I arrived this place fairly before than you ponies, so..." She kept inspecting all of the other ponies, mane to hoof, and completely ignored the extended hoof the bat pony had offered. "But nice to meet you too, I guess."

With that, her attention was caught by some other pony standing by the door. Did she hear something about holding off zombies?... Instead of clearing her doubts, that situation was making her even more worried. And then, a gun shot.

"WHAT THE!!..." Lume dropped to the ground, startled, but almost immediately got back up on her hooves and tried to play it cool. She trotted over to the gunner.

@

"Would you please, cut that off?? We're safe in here! Just relax for a minute!... Gosh... What a bunch of freaks..." Lume was nervous. She didn't get a shut eye since she arrived to that ruined city.

@, Red chuckled and turned, regarding Lume with a mixture of annoyance and amusement. "Zis is me beink relaxed. Und bored. Und needink practice. Besides, who's to say zat zat sing vasn't goink to run home to Mommy und give us avay? I'm Red Alert." Red stuck out a hoof. "Mind your own verdammt business."

@,

@

Nexus chuckled lightly at her reaction to the gunshot and her yelling. He trotted over to the the mare in question. 

"Yep, freaks, killers and psychopaths, every single pony. But as long as we're here, we're the only friends you have." He turned his attention to Red Alert.

"And to be fair, if the squiddy doesn't give us away, that loud ass gun will. Plus I thought I said to keep squid pony casualties to a minimum. We can't save them if they're all dead." He rolled his eyes before a thought a occurred.

"By the way, ma'am, I don't think I quite got your name."

"Zis is me beink relaxed. Und bored. Und needink practice. Besides, who's to say zat zat sing vasn't goink to run home to Mommy und give us avay? I'm Red Alert." Red stuck out a hoof. "Mind your own verdammt business."

Lume's deepest desire right then was to smack that pony's muzzle with all of her strength. Reasoning for a few seconds, though, she let out a deep sigh and turned away. After all, she wasn't going to be the one to cause fracas and end up having ponies killed unnecessarily.

"Yep, freaks, killers and psychopaths, every single pony. But as long as we're here, we're the only friends you have." 

As much as Lume agreed with the first statement, the fact that they were considering her her friends already made her slightly mad inside. Though they were, in fact, the first fellows she met until then, and apparently very well prepared ones. So if friendship, in that case, meant survival, she would have to deal with it, one way or another.

"And to be fair, if the squiddy doesn't give us away, that loud ass gun will.

Thank you... She thought.

"By the way, ma'am, I don't think I quite got your name."

"I'm Lume." The mare briefly answered. The first impressions were obviously far from pleasant -  probably for both sides -, but in the worst case scenario, she would have to stick with them until everything was solved. After all, they at least had weapons and means of survival... She didn't.

((OOC: Probably my last post for tonight~))

@,

Nexus smiled pleasantly. He decided a while ago that he would be civil and friendly to those around him. Usually he wouldn't care less, but some changes to his disposition have occurred since his arrival to Delvia. 

"Well it's a pleasure to meet you, Miss Lume. I look forward to working together." He said, his smile ever present. 

midnight followed behind the entire group, he was tired and he looked it as he looked down at fen then smiled and nuzzled her, and she chirped happily, and midnight, not entirely noticing where he was going, split off onto another path, and when he looked up, he frowned.

"they....were here just a moment ago....." 

fen chirped and made a gurgleing noise,

"i know...i swear i was behind that crazy germane one..."

black fog surrounded him, and he frowned deeper, "its too thick here...i can barely see...." he looked down, noticing fear in fen's expression, midnight picked her up and set her on his back, wrapping two of her tentacles around his lower neck, "there, now.....lets find a way through this fog."

@, Moon Crypt smiled. "These, my friend, are nine ponies that have a special power... and I believe you have the same powers. There is one way to be sure, and we will do that after we give them something to eat, some showers, perhaps, and a chance to deal with their wounds." He then stood back, listening to the conversations, and then stepping foward whn they were done."

Moon Crypt smiled. "Excellent. Now that introductions are out of the way, I'll get making some food. Go ahead and wash up- bathrooms are the first right. Nexus, put your magical- or slightly less so- equipment in that lead chamber- down the hall, second door to the left. And, by the way, there are other Inquisitors here- the remnants of Luna's branch- so you may meet them and talk to them if you wish. And..." he turned to a staircase. "Hey, My'kola! How many bed spaces are left up there?" There was a short silence, and then another changeling stuck his head down the stairs. "I don't know... about ten, elev..." He then notices everyone. "Ah..." Poking his head back up, he yells, "Hey, you! Yes, you, I never fully got your name. Help me, we gotta put eight beds together."

@, Inquisitor Moon Crypt then did a head count. "Make that nine beds, Kola!" He then trotted over to the door and then saw the backside of Midnight and Fen. "Hey! Midnight! You walked past the base! That's what it's supposed to do, lead you astray, but..."

((If you do, go ahead and control them, except for My'kola. Roll up their personality, Inquisitors come from anywhere and there are about forty of them.))

Arianna was among the other ponies but wasn't saying anything.  She listened intently instead, learning all she could about the other ponies.  She was puzzled, confused about everything that had gone on in the past few hours.  Her life had been anything but normal since she was ten, but this was a little extreme.

Standoff looked to see if anyone was going to listen to him, shrugged, and went back to the basement. He was just sitting down when he heard the series of rapid-fire beeps. The cooldown was done, which meant that they could get out of here any time they pleased, now.

Red was gearing up to go check out the roof when his bag erupted in a series of insistent beeps, and he cursed loudly.

midnight looked back, "well that was easy." he looked back at fen then went inside the doors, he turned to crypt, "does fen need a bed? since youve been around them longer i figure you should know." he looked back at her and smiled, her eyes were closed and she was making small gutteral snoring noises.

• Brohoof 1

Klarix was too distracted to do anything less than sit down on the floor near the wall to flip through Twilight's diary. Her eyes frantically skimmed through page after page of information. Apparently, the Guardians of Harmony had been planning there experiment years before they'd accidentally created the Presence. It had taken them a long time to come up with the first part of the Resurrection Formula, and many months after that to "successfully" add in the alchemy.

The more she read, the sicker she began to feel. For a while, the homunuculus had been stable enough to observe. However, it'd been steadily feeding on the souls of Delvia's citizens and became strong enough to break free of his bonds and escape into the city. After that, according to Twilight, it was all over.

Shakily, she closed the diary and set it beside her.

• Brohoof 1

@, Inquisitor Moon Crypt watched Klarix for a while before turning to kitchen. In passing, he said to @ Midnight, "I don't know. I haven't studied them extremely closely, but I do know that they seek places of moisture to sleep and relax.

((I'll be back around three.))

(edited)

"These, my friend, are nine ponies that have a special power... and I believe you have the same powers. There is one way to be sure, and we will do that after we give them something to eat, some showers, perhaps, and a chance to deal with their wounds."

Lume was intrigued. Moon Crypt did mention something earlier about special powers, and that those powers were one of the main reasons The King had sent her to explore the Crystal Empire. However, there was still something about that story that somehow was very difficult to believe. Lume would have to see it with her own eyes before coming to any kind of conclusion.

Besides, the possibility that those new ponies would become her companions whether she liked it or not was slowly turning into an assurance.

"Well it's a pleasure to meet you, Miss Lume. I look forward to working together." He said, his smile ever present. 

Lume rapidly turned around to meet the bat pony once again, her expression clearly evidencing annoyance towards the situation. "You can stop calling me "miss" or "ma'am" now, if you please. You have no idea how stupid you sound when you address me like that." She stared at Nexus for a few more seconds, just to make sure he had understood the "request". She didn't want to be rude, but she just couldn't help it: being forced onto a group like that was something she could hardly tolerate, not to mention how scared she was beforehand. But her fear was going to remain hidden, at least for the time being.

Lume listened to Moon Crypt as he ordered Kola to organize the bed upstairs, who then asked for help. Not saying a word, Lume started walking towards the staircase, just to have her attention caught by yet another very odd pony, focused on a book. The orange earth mare ceased walking at the foot of the staircase and observed as the pegasus - with a quite interesting pair of wings - continued reading, and put it down beside her when she finished.

Perhaps I could learn something from these ponies after all... Lume thought to herself, her sight firmly fixed on the book.

Edited by Lume~WMJ
  • Brohoof 1

@

Klarix lifted her head to find the earth pony, Lume, standing at the foot of the stairwell and gazing at the tattered book at her side.

"It's the diary of Twlight Sparkle," she told her, "and the answer to most of the questions I had."

She turned her head to stare at the small journal, frowning before glancing at Lume again.

"Read, if you want. However, I don't think you'll like what it has to say. I didn't."

• Brohoof 1

"It's the diary of Twlight Sparkle," she told her, "and the answer to most of the questions I had."

"Twilight Sparkle... Wasn't that the bearer of the Element of Magic, from the Elements of Harmony?" Lume quietly questioned herself, thrilled for the most part. But that was thousands of years ago... She thought. Chills took over her body as the pegasus then mentioned that the book had answered most of the questions she had.

The pegasus, though, looked somehow worried - most likely about what she had just read. That small diary could contain the arduous history of that place, and the reason why it was all ruins. Lume deviated from her path and walked towards the pegasus mare this time, hoping to get a chance of knowing everything she could about that book.

"Read, if you want. However, I don't think you'll like what it has to say. I didn't."

Even more chills attacked the earth mare that time. Almost immediately after the pegasus had offered Lume the book, she snatched it from the ground with her mouth and, right there, she sat down to open it. Before she did, though, she looked back up, with sparkling eyes, at the pegasus mare. "T-thank you..." Lume stuttered, immediately getting her attention back to the diary afterwards.

midnight frowned, "alright." he looked around and found a nice moist spot and set the sleeping fen in it, then turned, "do you have any books or spells that i could read or practice respectively? if were gonna be here for awhile i want to learn." he tilts his head.

Nexus sigh lightly. This was going to be tough if everypony was hostile, rude, or suspicious of everypony else. But he would remain polite and respectful. Somepony should. He trotted down to the lead chamber, and noticed a few Inquisitors in here. A few glanced over at the hunter, and he guessed that because his armor bore the emblem of the group, that they were trying to recognize him. He found a table, and removed his armor and weapons, revealing his scarred and deformed body. He had tried to help the defense in the attack on his clan as a teen. This was the result. About a quarter of the scars vanished due to the influence of his Tarot power, which activated when he acted morally and kept a positive attitude.

Even so, his chest was still near naked, and looked lumpy. This caught a lot of attention in the room from the other Inquisitors. Some looks were that of sympathy, others were of dread, and a few were of respect. He sheepishly slipped out of the room and back into the main corridor. He headed upstairs upon hearing the call for help-which was ignored by the mare in question-he headed upstairs to assist. He approached the Inquisitor-Kola was it?-and decided to see about being useful. Never thought he would offer help to a changeling but if he was an Inquisitor, he would show respect.

"Need any help up here sir?" He said with less confidence. Nexus always wore armor, always had his warped body covered. Without it, he felt very...exposed. He would never admit it, but he was self conscious about his injuries.

@,

@@ActFast231, "Yes, please. Could you help me set up some beds for the other nine ponies that have come? I would do it alone, but it seems that some of them look quite tired and they need to get some re-" My'kola paused and took a good look at you. "Axel Tersona? What are you doing here?" He then sighed. "Ah. You must be one of the new arrivals. No, I'm fine. If you want to help, that's alright. Just take a cot and a mattress, and then some sheets ad blankets. But if you don't want to help, you don't need to. And please don't call me sir. I found out that it just drives me up a wall." He shrugged.

@, one of the other nearby inquisitors nodded. "What type of spell does the young lady specialize in?"

Moon Crypt entered the kitchen, checking that everything was okay. Small kitchen appliances, check. Oven and stove, check. Food? He walked over and looked at the pantry, before selecting a bag of red apples, some hay, and some salad. He debated for a while before adding to that a few carrots and a large red pepper that he didn't recognize of the top of his head, and then retreated to cabinet, selecting a large kitchen knife.

@,

"I can help you set up the beds. Might as well make myself useful." Nexus paused for a moment, and thought about what was said earlier. He never would of thought that he resembled his father in appearance, but then again, everypony he knew was dead, so he couldn't get a decent comparison.

"And Axel was my father. He was killed 16 years ago in a full scale changeling invasion on the Terra Nova clan. He died securing my escape." He said with even less energy, looking down slightly. The memory was not a pleasant one. The clan was wiped out. He was the only reported survivor.

"Come to think of it, I'm not even sure if their are any more bat ponies besides me. I read reports that the changelings mounted several invasions on the Bat clans. And the closest thing I have gotten to another bat pony is the hybrid downstairs." He never thought about it, but unless some of the bat ponies in the Inquisitors survived and were here, he may be the last of his kind.

• Brohoof 1