Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP holidays

Taviscratch

I find it hypocritical of me to celebrate Christmas as I am an atheist...but I just love that time of year when the family is reunited, a tree is decorated in the living room, lights are put on the house, presents are given and received and you eat so much it hurts. Even without religion it is a damn good holiday but it is still CHRISTmas, the celebration of the birth of Jesus. While I am aware that there was once a Jewish man named Jesus and he preached about God and forgiveness etc etc etc I do not believe in him being the son of God (or believe in God for that matter). However, I do love MLP. For these reasons, is it weird for me to celebrate Hearths Warming Eve instead? Is there anypony out there who feels the same way or, alternatively, feels that  this would be blasphemous and that belief has no bearing on one's ability to enjoy a religious holiday?

I'm an atheist and I still celebrate Christmas, but  I think it would be quite sweet to celebrate Hearths Warmig Eve! It's not like it's a bad story, it's well written plus it has a moral. So, in short, celebrate whatever the heck you like, just as long as you don't force the 'pony' on everyone else at Christmas!

Edited by Safari

At this point Christmas is mostly secular, so there isn't really a problem with celebrating it. As a matter of fact, every atheist I know (me included) celebrates Christmas. Celebrating a holiday from a TV isn't a good solution, since it was designed to celebrate something that never happened in the real world. The only people who would have a problem with you celebrating Christmas would be hardcore Christians like Michelle Bachman.

I know there's no problem with it but celebrating Christmas doesn't actually mean anything to me but the show does. I wouldn't actually do anything all that differently to be honest and I wouldn't force the ponies on anyone. To me though, it's a lot like me celebrating Thanksgiving; I'm English so it would be utterly meaningless.

At this point Christmas is mostly secular, so there isn't really a problem with celebrating it. As a matter of fact, every atheist I know (me included) celebrates Christmas. Celebrating a holiday from a TV isn't a good solution, since it was designed to celebrate something that never happened in the real world. The only people who would have a problem with you celebrating Christmas would be hardcore Christians like Michelle Bachman.

Quite agreed. We just celebrate it without biblical referencing and that is a good point really.

But about Equestrian holidays, IDC but I'm sticking to human holidays.