Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Gaming Laptop?

Dark Fox

i7's don't advertise themselves as having 8 cores though. They advertise as having 4 cores w/ hyperthreading. AMD just flat out lied to people with their advertising.

AMD processors and motherboards also don't support PCIE 3.0 which is just shocking.

IMO; if you want to use integrated graphics, always go with AMD. If you're using a dedicated card, always go Intel. Just my two cents.

• Brohoof 1

More or less. But AMD didn't lie 100%, since they still are CORES, just different virtual ones. I also on occasion see Intel not advertising enough information to say it's hyperthreaded but people find out about them and go okay, guess it's more power then :3

And I agree with you on the Integrated graphics part. I've bought my own laptop just because of it, which is why I preferred it over Intel. Then over time, I started to have high hopes that AMD would surpass them in the dedicated card area as well~

It's why I like AMD Radeon HD Graphics. I never took much interest in the Nvidia cards, plus it just seemed like the Radeons were worth more for the price. That being said they came out with the FX-9590 and the Radeon HD 7990 which both are around $700-1000.

Edited by Baby Sirius
  • Brohoof 1

My Core i7-3630QM has four physical cores and four threads that act as logical cores. Even though it's a mobile processor, it's still not really that different than AMD claiming that 4 physical cores with 4 additional logical cores is the same thing as an octa-core processor.

taskmanager.png

On-topic, I'd suggest a MSI GE60 as the OP isn't looking for something ultra-fancy, but even MSI's lower-end GE40/60/70 laptops aren't below the $1000 mark >_> Maybe Lenovo? They're usually a budget-friendly option. Like look at the second Y510p listed on this page. FHD panel, Haswell Core i7, GT 750M 2GB, Windows 8 x64, 1TB 5400RPM hard drive, 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM for $969. Although they ship that stupid Pokki start menu with their laptops now, you should uninstall that as the first thing you do if you get a Lenovo, the Start screen is actually more functional than the old Start menu anyway (despite what the iPress wants you to think) and Pokki tries shoving its own app store down your throat. Although if you want a Start menu there's always Start8, although that's not free, or Classic Shell, which is free.

So then none of the processors really have 8 cores

I wouldn't state this as fact because intel has one 6-core processor which is the biggest LGA2011 i7-3980

Also i would check those xeons, knowing that some of them are 8+ cores and can be mounted on lga1155 and lga2011 sockets so technically being different from a server it can be used for residential services(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117272), which beat the AMD's 870$ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113347 by far 

even though it runs @5GHz, even an overclocked 3770k beats its (i know your an AMD fan but let's face it not all of their processors are up to intel's chips)

More or less. But AMD didn't lie 100%, since they still are CORES, just different virtual ones. I also on occasion see Intel not advertising enough information to say it's hyperthreaded but people find out about them and go okay, guess it's more power then :3

And I agree with you on the Integrated graphics part. I've bought my own laptop just because of it, which is why I preferred it over Intel. Then over time, I started to have high hopes that AMD would surpass them in the dedicated card area as well~

It's why I like AMD Radeon HD Graphics. I never took much interest in the Nvidia cards, plus it just seemed like the Radeons were worth more for the price. That being said they came out with the FX-9590 and the Radeon HD 7990 which both are around $700-1000.

AMD Radeon graphics have been picking up speed recently. Personally, I would never purchase anything lower than the 7970Ghz edition but recently, Nvidia's drivers have been pure horseshit lately.

Also, Nvidia's GPU Boost technology is a pile of trash. All it does is overclock your GPU a tiny bit which you can do yourself if you're not a moron and then it just throttles the shit out of your GPU.

To the OP, Radeon for graphics. Intel for processor.

I wouldn't state this as fact because intel has one 6-core processor which is the biggest LGA2011 i7-3980

Also i would check those xeons, knowing that some of them are 8+ cores and can be mounted on lga1155 and lga2011 sockets so technically being different from a server it can be used for residential services(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117272), which beat the AMD's 870$ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113347 by far 

even though it runs @5GHz, even an overclocked 3770k beats its (i know your an AMD fan but let's face it not all of their processors are up to intel's chips)

Ew, Sandy Bridge.

I know what you mean about the Xeon's and AMD Opteron's but it's not for server processing. It's for straight gaming whatsoever, so none of these are included.

Though, I love my Xeons and Opterons :3

AMD Radeon graphics have been picking up speed recently. Personally, I would never purchase anything lower than the 7970Ghz edition but recently, Nvidia's drivers have been pure horseshit lately.

Also, Nvidia's GPU Boost technology is a pile of trash. All it does is overclock your GPU a tiny bit which you can do yourself if you're not a moron and then it just throttles the shit out of your GPU.

To the OP, Radeon for graphics. Intel for processor.

This is where both Intel and AMD work best with eachother most of the time. To be honest i'd buy nothing lower then the Radeon HD 7770 since it can run BF3 at around 40 Fps or so? That's just on one card and not two, so keep in mind that~

My favourite is the HIS AMD Radeon HD 7870 iceQ which takes the GPU temp down a little. But even so I love it because it's a $200 card that is a decent bit above average on almost everything.

Also love the 7990 6GB since it's up against the GeForce GTX Titan, which is both the top of the line cards.

http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Gamer_Mage_D295

Save up $17 bucks over $900 and this could run faster then the other desktop you saw.

There's only a few things you got to do when scrolling down. Here's what i'll give you:

First things first, go down to the Case and choose the AZZA Armour Gaming Case. When you find it, you can choose between red or blue.

Keep scrolling down slowly until you find Processor Cooling, and choose the Corsair Hydro Series H55 Liquid CPU Cooling System. It's a lot better then the standard one that comes with it.

Scroll down one more until you find the DDR3-1600 Memory Module. It's already selected for 8GB but there's an option on what manufacturer you can get it from. Look down until you find Corsair Vengeance and click on it.

After it, keep scrolling down a ways until you find the power supply. This one is a little hard, but look until you find the AZZA Dynamo 850W Power supply. You really need a lot of watts for this computer to perform really well.

--

Then you're pretty much done from there ^.^ $917 gaming desktop which runs like a boss. Also, it already had selected the Nvidia GeForce Gtx 650ti as your graphics card so don't worry about it.

There is one more thing though, and that's if you want Windows 8 or Windows 7. If you want 7 then scroll down to the bottom and find Software & Accessories. When you click on it, you should be automatically be redirected to the Operating system. Then you can choose between either one from there.

Hope this didn't confuse you much, since the website is a little hard to use :3

Thanks bro, Are you sure the Graphics card will cover it though? Also, would I be better off buying a monitor elsewhere? Also, I have a really old dell, would that monitor work until I get more money saved up?

Thanks bro, Are you sure the Graphics card will cover it though? Also, would I be better off buying a monitor elsewhere? Also, I have a really old dell, would that monitor work until I get more money saved up?

Yes, i'm sure the graphics card will cover it. Though looking at it, the AMD Radeon HD 7790 has a slightly higher clock speed and shows a better benchmark rating then the Nvidia GeForce Gtx 650ti. You know, for 3 dollars more you should choose that over it, plus what we've been talking about shows that AMD would be a better pick over Nvidia.

It's in the list among Graphics Cards, so go look for it and select it if you want :3

The old monitor would work as long as it has a DVI port in the back that you can hook up to the screen. It'll be slow as many people say, but it works so go ahead and use it till you get a new monitor.

I'd suggest you to go to the nearest retail store, buy the parts yourself and build it at home. It's not that hard at all and you'll get more for cheaper compared to buying a desktop from a company that builds them for you.

If you want me to give you a list of computer parts within a $800 dollar budget then just quote me. If you don't plan on building one yourself, then go ahead and buy one instead. :)

Ok here's my rig guys, My friend said I didnt need an 8 core processor so I swapped that out, got a kickass graphics card instead.

I was thinking about getting case lighting, Im assuming it doesn't come shipped with the fancy blue lights in the picture.

http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Gamer_Mage_D295/w/185858

Should I get a more expensive sound card?

Sounds about right. It's up to you if you don't want the 8 cores, and the 6 work just as fine :3 Also, nice graphics you got. It's the newest of Nvidia's cards so it's probably got a decent bit more power.

Lights you don't need unless you really want to show off your case, and depending on how much you listen to music then a sound card would be nice.

The integrated one works well, but for people who love to tune the crap out of the equalizer it's more suited for them.

And about what Azura's saying, that way works the best for saving money but i'd advise you to get a friend to help you on a build since it would be your first. It really does save you money so you could build a better rig, but ^ and the fact that your friend would also have to help you on getting stuff that's compatible with eachother.

Edited by Baby Sirius