Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

This is my first attempt at carving a pumpkin. (I've made simple jack-o-lanterns before but they don't count) I decided to use the technique of only shaving off the outer layer instead of cutting holes.

So what do you think about it so far? I'm still working on it but I wanted some input before I finish incase you guys think I should do something different. If it turns out good enough I'm going to enter it in the 8K Brony Pumpkin Carving Contest on Reddit.

Lit | Unlit

post-37-0-69299700-1319768125_thumb.jpgpost-37-0-87431900-1319768155_thumb.jpg

(sorry for the large image size)

Finished!

Lit | Unlit (with reddit username)

post-37-0-46656800-1319836567_thumb.jpgpost-37-0-25479800-1319836637_thumb.jpg

At first I cut the white part of the eyes out completely but it was too bright so I put the pieces back in. (derp)

There doesn't seem to be a "craft" prefix anymore so I used "visual art" instead.

Edited by Apple Bloom
  • Brohoof 5

That looks fantastic! The design's perfect in my opinion. Kinda makes me wish we celebrated Halloween in Australia.

That's sweet! I never even thought about just shaving the outsides off until I started spending more time on the internet. I may just do something like this...

okay, probably not. I don't have an idea yet, and I'd only do it if I could enter it into a pony pumpkin contest somewhere.

Still, very nice. It actually looks like her too! There are a lot of them that don't look show-accurate at all...

Also I like its mane.

That's sweet! I never even thought about just shaving the outsides off until I started spending more time on the internet. I may just do something like this...

okay, probably not. I don't have an idea yet, and I'd only do it if I could enter it into a pony pumpkin contest somewhere.

Still, very nice. It actually looks like her too! There are a lot of them that don't look show-accurate at all...

Also I like its mane.

I'm not finished though. I've still got to finish the eyes, mane, and left hoof, and I'm going to carve the mane a little deeper to make it brighter. The only thing I'm not sure about is if I want to cut the white part of the eyes out. Since they're supposed to be white I think cutting them out completely will make them brighter and help the iris's show up better.

The only thing I'm not sure about is if I want to cut the white part of the eyes out. Since they're supposed to be white I think cutting them out completely will make them brighter and help the iris's show up better.

That's what I figured you'd do... They look better what there are different shades to them, not just the one layer of shaved of skin.

Awesome carving! I never thought of just shaving off the outer skin before. I used to carve pumpkins, but cutting holes was always too much of a pain for me, so I just haven't bothered to in a while. Who knows, I might carve up a few next year using this technique.

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

They are voting on the winner of the contest now. Something somepony made with my carving. :D

post-37-0-44472800-1320536010_thumb.png

Yay! Spiderman approves! :P

Edited by Apple Bloom
  • Brohoof 1

They are voting on the winner of the contest now. Something somepony made with my carving. :D

post-37-0-44472800-1320536010_thumb.png

Yay! Spiderman approves! :P

Hope you'll win. Or at least in the top 10 list :)

-Good luck.

• Brohoof 1

Thanks guys but as much as I want to win, I would rather you vote on the ones you think are the best, not just mine. :)

Any time. But i believe you have to make three votes anyways,

so i didn't only vote for you :P