Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Aspergers isn't a thing anymore

Harmonic Revelations

I would just like to point out that 1 in 88 children do not have Autism.

You are correct that just because people have some traits in common with Autistic people dosen't make them Autistic but it is clear from you statement that you don't know very much about it. I am not badmouthing you for it as it is a pretty complicated subject, but you have to keep in mind that is a spectrum disorder meaning that there are cases ranging from severe to mild. There are a lot of people who once had more severe cases but thanks to advances and increasing availability of treatment were able to overcome some aspects of Autism. I for example had severe behavioral problems which included violent temper tantrums and some scary meltdowns much of them motivated by severe sensitivities to certain sensations and language difficulties. Learning to talk for me was quite a challenge but I did it and while I still have sensitivities to certain sensations and can sometimes get over stimulated it is for the most part under control. To put it simply I went from the stereotypical kid screaming his head off all day every day to a relatively well adjusted and productive adult.

One problem though that I must bring up is that while many of them get help while they are kids and teens alot of Autism adults still need help and end up falling though the cracks. For a while I was one of them, but with some help I am getting things back on track and will soon be able to realize my full potential and do what I have always wanted to do. I have said once and I will say again that I don't if these changes are bad or good because I don't know the motivation for the changes or how it will affect services for people on the Autism spectrum. I am sure there are some people gaming the system, but there are plenty of people who have to struggle and fight to get any help at all. My parents had to fight tooth and nail for everything I got and I am saying this as someone who is not a fan of the government and is critical of government programs. Ideally I think that state and local governments should handle programs as per the 9th and 10th amendments but until that is able to change we have to work though the system we have now even if it is incredibly flawed.