Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

New theroy on the return of Nightmare Moon (Spoilers)

LordDiscord

As I'm sure many of you are aware, in the season 4 preview they revealed at comic-con a few months back, we were greeted with a animatic of what looked like Nightmare Moon return. Now I am aware that many have already talked about this and many believe it to be a flash back, and while those are still very strong possibilities, I would like to point out a possible reason for believing she is becoming NMM again. 

I have noticed a pattern with Luna whenever she has interacted with Twilight, though she acts nice and calm, the looks that she has given Twilight when no one is looking, hints at some form of jealousy about Twilight becoming a princess. I could easily see that she may be thinking that her sister does not trust her enough to make her be Celestia's successor, and has chosen Twilight who is only a student and does not have any royal birth-right. Also from the animatic (even though its unfinished) it looks as if the tower they are in is quiet old, indicating that if it was a flash back then the castle would look newer but it doesn't.

My theory is that Celestia says something to Twilight that hammers the final nail in the coffin and Luna decides to lure Twilight to the ruins of Castle of the Twin Sisters, in order to defeat her and prove that Twilight isn't fit to be ruler. But before she can do anything the anger and jealous she has mustered up attracts wait remains of Night mare Moon and the shadows once again engulfs Luna.

Now understand this is all a theory, and I could be wrong. However I find it rather odd how surprized Twilight looks, when she should know that it is a flash back.

As I'm sure many of you are aware, in the season 4 preview they revealed at comic-con a few months back, we were greeted with a animatic of what looked like Nightmare Moon return. Now I am aware that many have already talked about this and many believe it to be a flash back, and while those are still very strong possibilities, I would like to point out a possible reason for believing she is becoming NMM again. 

I have noticed a pattern with Luna whenever she has interacted with Twilight, though she acts nice and calm, the looks that she has given Twilight when no one is looking, hints at some form of jealousy about Twilight becoming a princess. I could easily see that she may be thinking that her sister does not trust her enough to make her be Celestia's successor, and has chosen Twilight who is only a student and does not have any royal birth-right. Also from the animatic (even though its unfinished) it looks as if the tower they are in is quiet old, indicating that if it was a flash back then the castle would look newer but it doesn't.

My theory is that Celestia says something to Twilight that hammers the final nail in the coffin and Luna decides to lure Twilight to the ruins of Castle of the Twin Sisters, in order to defeat her and prove that Twilight isn't fit to be ruler. But before she can do anything the anger and jealous she has mustered up attracts wait remains of Night mare Moon and the shadows once again engulfs Luna.

Now understand this is all a theory, and I could be wrong. However I find it rather odd how surprized Twilight looks, when she should know that it is a flash back.

I hate to derail your headcanon train here friend, but the Castle of the Royal Sisters that was depicted in the flashback was completely intact. And again, Luna mentions "precious light", and also "there can only be ONE princess in Equestria".......I'm sorry dude, but this is indeed a flashback. The only thing we can do from here is wait until Season 4 premieres and see if any of us guessed it right.

I hate to derail your headcanon train here friend, but the Castle of the Royal Sisters that was depicted in the flashback was completely intact. And again, Luna mentions "precious light", and also "there can only be ONE princess in Equestria".......I'm sorry dude, but this is indeed a flashback. The only thing we can do from here is wait until Season 4 premieres and see if any of us guessed it right.

I never said I was right, it was just a theory, that said I will point out this through out the series, notably on episodes like ''A Canterlot Wedding, and '' The Crystal Empire''. If you watch Luna either as she passes Twilight or is close to her where no one will notice, she will give Twilight this awkward look, kind of like she was either jealous or upset. Though no one else ever really catches on, also if it was a flash back then why is Twilight so frightened, surely she would know it is a flashback if it was.

I never said I was right, it was just a theory, that said I will point out this through out the series, notably on episodes like ''A Canterlot Wedding, and '' The Crystal Empire''. If you watch Luna either as she passes Twilight or is close to her where no one will notice, she will give Twilight this awkward look, kind of like she was either jealous or upset. Though no one else ever really catches on, also if it was a flash back then why is Twilight so frightened, surely she would know it is a flashback if it was.

I wasn't exactly saying you were wrong either, but sorry if it came out wrong. Its just that I tried running out my own theory, and it got mercilessly shot down. And like I said, all the signs in the scene point to a flashback.......although I suppose you could be onto something. We should discuss this further, namely why Luna would be upset when it was Twilight who freed her from Nightmare Moon.

I wasn't exactly saying you were wrong either, but sorry if it came out wrong. Its just that I tried running out my own theory, and it got mercilessly shot down. And like I said, all the signs in the scene point to a flashback.......although I suppose you could be onto something. We should discuss this further, namely why Luna would be upset when it was Twilight who freed her from Nightmare Moon.

I guess we will just have to wait and see. Honestly I could see it going either way, however before season 4 was even thought of, the Mane 6 has either destroyed, reformed or turn to stone all of their main adversaries except for Chrysalis, so either they will need to create new enemies or they will need to bring one back. 

I have no theories, but here are my take a ways, what I saw, in the clip.

1. Something happens to Luna and Celestia

2. Twilight has no idea where she is.

3. Twilight is happy to see Luna and looks to her for guidance.

4. Luna does not recognize Twilight and seems to be talking to Celestia

5. Luna changes into NMM but seems scared by what's happening as if her true self, the good Luna, realizes too late what she did.

Beyond those things I have no idea.

I do like your theory, and it could be a flash back as well. But my personal favorite is the silmarillion theory of nightmare moon's return. Just a whole lot more drama like the writers have been planning it from the beginning. And gives an explaination to the "where was luna during the invasion" thing.

I do like your theory, and it could be a flash back as well. But my personal favorite is the silmarillion theory of nightmare moon's return. Just a whole lot more drama like the writers have been planning it from the beginning. And gives an explaination to the "where was luna during the invasion" thing.

Ikr? That alone has made me super excited for Season 4. I can't wait to see if the Silmarillon theory actually does come true, some other idea that involves Nightmare Moon returning. The best part of it all though, is that if NMM is indeed returning, but not by exposing Luna's jealousy and using it as a catalyst to take her over, we have no idea why. It may or may not be connected to Twilight becoming an alicorn princess, and that is what's making this community so confused. Why would NMM return, when she was defeated once?

Ikr? That alone has made me super excited for Season 4. I can't wait to see if the Silmarillon theory actually does come true, some other idea that involves Nightmare Moon returning. The best part of it all though, is that if NMM is indeed returning, but not by exposing Luna's jealousy and using it as a catalyst to take her over, we have no idea why. It may or may not be connected to Twilight becoming an alicorn princess, and that is what's making this community so confused. Why would NMM return, when she was defeated once?

My theory is this: Maybe she wasn't defeated but instead pretended to be. Think about it, she has been locked away for a 1000 years, angry and ready for revenge, not even the Elements of Harmony could make her forget that. Discords motives were far less severe than that of NMM's but he was a lot harder to reform, despite the fact that other than making it rain chocolate milk, Discord was not really evil, annoying maybe but not evil. So it is possible that Luna has been playing the good guy only to learn weaknesses in the Elements of Harmony so she could defeat them. 

My theory is this: Maybe she wasn't defeated but instead pretended to be. Think about it, she has been locked away for a 1000 years, angry and ready for revenge, not even the Elements of Harmony could make her forget that. Discords motives were far less severe than that of NMM's but he was a lot harder to reform, despite the fact that other than making it rain chocolate milk, Discord was not really evil, annoying maybe but not evil. So it is possible that Luna has been playing the good guy only to learn weaknesses in the Elements of Harmony so she could defeat them. 

Yeah, and this is where the Luna=Chrysalis idea comes in. Nightmare Moon can shapeshift like Luna and Chrys, so therefore it is possible that she infiltrated Canterlot disguised as firstly Chrysalis, then Cadance, in order to feed love to herself and her changeling army/Children of the Night, thereby making them stronger (think about it; don't the changelings look like horrible creatures that could only exist in nightmares?). She also managed to defeat her sister in a fair magic fight, despite being powered by Shining Armor's love for Cadance, and quickly subdued the Mane 6 before they could reach the Elements of Harmony. And she managed to do it all without exposing her true cover! And by allowing herself to be defeated, she managed to escape from Canterlot with all the intel she needed, giving her a critical upper-hoof in the run up to her next confrontation against the Mane 6 and Celestia. 

It all makes enough sense to point to the fact that Luna has been planning this ever since she was defeated the first time as NMM. This wouldn't wreck her character development at all. If anything, it would demolish her development as a good guy, and build on her development as a villain. But, to be completely honest, as of late I don't care how it turns out. Flashback, or actual return, we'd be dipping into Equestrian history for only the second time in the show! (If you count Hearth's Warming Eve as the first dip) 

It's a nice theory but I don't think Luna really expressed jealousy towards Twilight during those moments but rather doubt.

For an example in The Crystal Empire; I think Luna just was discussing about how difficult it would be to restore peace there she even offers her assistance but Celestia had full confidence in Twilight whie Luna had her doubts.

I'm still pretty sure it was a, flashback where Luna became NMM.

Yeah, and this is where the Luna=Chrysalis idea comes in. Nightmare Moon can shapeshift like Luna and Chrys, so therefore it is possible that she infiltrated Canterlot disguised as firstly Chrysalis, then Cadance, in order to feed love to herself and her changeling army/Children of the Night, thereby making them stronger (think about it; don't the changelings look like horrible creatures that could only exist in nightmares?). She also managed to defeat her sister in a fair magic fight, despite being powered by Shining Armor's love for Cadance, and quickly subdued the Mane 6 before they could reach the Elements of Harmony. And she managed to do it all without exposing her true cover! And by allowing herself to be defeated, she managed to escape from Canterlot with all the intel she needed, giving her a critical upper-hoof in the run up to her next confrontation against the Mane 6 and Celestia. 

It all makes enough sense to point to the fact that Luna has been planning this ever since she was defeated the first time as NMM. This wouldn't wreck her character development at all. If anything, it would demolish her development as a good guy, and build on her development as a villain. But, to be completely honest, as of late I don't care how it turns out. Flashback, or actual return, we'd be dipping into Equestrian history for only the second time in the show! (If you count Hearth's Warming Eve as the first dip) 

This is exactly my thoughts, though at this point, I don't want to get my hopes up for a return. As much as I liked NightMare Moon as a villain, Luna as a character has kinda grown on me more, so even if it does turn out that she returned to her evil way, I still hope for the possibility of a proper reformation and not just end it with her turned to stone or sent to the moon.

Luna won't become Nightmare moon again unless some evil force makes her do it. Besides, Luna's original reason for being banished was likely because she was going against Celestia, perhaps because their elements of harmony were mixed up. This particular headcanon author has a lot of videos that make sense in that regard: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWwpP4zPHFU