Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Flim Flam Character Design Compared to Other Ponies.

Harmony And Rarity

I kept watching the super speedy cider squeezy 6000 and I wondered, why Flim and Flam have totally different designs than the other stallions. I thought it would be that they came from another country. But the ponies look the same in canterlot and Appleloosa. What do you guys think? /) 

there more animated than other stallions. so they're given longer limbs so that the animators could make them express emotion both with their bodies and talking.

Edited by Malinter
  • Brohoof 2

Fleur de Lis has a similar 'lanky' build but in a mare version. Snails may also have that build, but as he's not fully grown it's hard to tell. Of the normal adult pony breeds, we've only seen these three unicorns with that body type. And the alicorns, who I'm going to ignore for now.

To speculate, it seems there's a breed or blood-line of unicorns with this tall, thin build. Given how infrequently this blood line seems to show up, I would assume that Flim, Flam, Fleur (Heh, just noticed that alliteration), and possibly Snails (*pout* lost the alliteration) are 'exotics'. They personally don't come from another land, but somewhere in their ancestry was a Saddle Arabian, or something similar.

Or perhaps all unicorns used to look like this, back when the three pony tribes kept separate, and have since crossbred with earth ponies and pegasi so much that they've lost this trait in the most part. The four we've seen are throwbacks to the older genotype.

• Brohoof 2

I kept watching the super speedy cider squeezy 6000 and I wondered, why Flim and Flam have totally different designs than the other stallions. I thought it would be that they came from another country. But the ponies look the same in canterlot and Appleloosa. What do you guys think? /) 

Personally, I believe that their designs were inspired by Snake Oil salesmen/scam artists from the Old West and the fact that they came to Sweet Apple Acres was supposed to be a part of the joke.

• Brohoof 2

Probably just an uncommon gene. A recessive trait. If we're talking biologically.

As far as design goes... Well, they're designed to match the old "Scam Salesman" archetype. Which usually means really animated. Which means really charismatic. Which means really energetic. And the taller, slimmer body type is better for relaying those qualities into action than the other stallion body types we've seen.

• Brohoof 1

*(\

Brohoof reciprocated.

I believe that a mixup in the character design is healthy. Makes for some body shape differentiation.

My character is made more interesting by the radial slope of his nose and his angular mouth shape!

Isn't he?

I think that Mr. Cake has the same design as the Flim Flam characters. It may just be a design used to differentiate male characters that might have a speaking role against all the others that do not. But there are exceptions like Blueblood so I don't think it is a rule if it's true at all. So I guess there are two major male designs and one lesser used for every other background male character. The Big Mac design and the Flim Flam design.

• Brohoof 1

I think that Mr. Cake has the same design as the Flim Flam characters. It may just be a design used to differentiate male characters that might have a speaking role against all the others that do not. But there are exceptions like Blueblood so I don't think it is a rule if it's true at all. So I guess there are two major male designs and one lesser used for every other background male character. The Big Mac design and the Flim Flam design.

Hadn't noticed that. Give me a second...

Yep, he's also got that same lanky build. And he isn't a unicorn.

However, Mr. Cake states his great-great-great-great grandfather was a unicorn. (Yes, I counted the greats to make sure I got that right). So if this lanky build *is* a buried unicorn trait, he got it from that. But it's starting to get a bit tenuous.

Their character designs look like their design is to signify their animation, and how it is very fluid especially when they talk. At least we had a new change on how stallions appear when it comes to their build, since they had a slim and tall build.

Edited by ~Harmonic Scoots~
  • Brohoof 1

Hadn't noticed that. Give me a second...

Yep, he's also got that same lanky build. And he isn't a unicorn.

However, Mr. Cake states his great-great-great-great grandfather was a unicorn. (Yes, I counted the greats to make sure I got that right). So if this lanky build *is* a buried unicorn trait, he got it from that. But it's starting to get a bit tenuous.

It would have been amusing if it was true that unicorn males had a better chance of having that trait but Prince Blueblood doesn't look like that. He is an exception and would also likely to possess a more purified form of bloodline than other unicorns so I think that idea of a lost genotype is mostly dismissed. The model is likely used at random.

It would have been amusing if it was true that unicorn males had a better chance of having that trait but Prince Blueblood doesn't look like that. He is an exception and would also likely to possess a more purified form of bloodline than other unicorns so I think that idea of a lost genotype is mostly dismissed. The model is likely used at random.

Pity, I was growing fond of that one. I could convolute a way of having Blueblood being a big fake, and actually being mostly earth pony, but it's not worth it. wink.png

Flim and Flam had really bold personalities and they are very enthusiastic ''con-ponies''. I believe their design is meant to highlight how different and strange they really are. Plus, the fact that they are lanky and non-threatening in a physical sense may put some subconscious emphasis on their con-man role (brains vs brawn sort of thing).