Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My Little Pony Collectible Card Game Strategies

GamingTama

Honestly That Timber Wolf part sounds important, you can only confront the Trouble Maker During the Trouble Maker Phase...

Regarding  the problem that was confronted, No you don't do a face off, his RainbowDash left the proficiency  to solve the problem, so you score 1 point for confronting it. To do a face off both player as on the problem must both have the right amount of power and requirement to do a faceoff.

He most likely  wanted the Bonus point and left the problem to defeat the timberwolf later on.

I can't remember if he defeated the timberwolf before or after I confronted the problem all I knew was that rainbow dash wasn't there. Okay, though that's what we assumed so I waited until he moved another pony to the problem till we had a face off.

It was actually hilarious we each waited like 5 turns because this was the deciding point for the game and moved as many ponies to the single problem as we could. The final face off was like 35 to 28 and I won.

@@GamingTama Wait, a MLP:FiM TCG?  Why was I not informed of this?  Where do you get them?

Yes MLP:FiM has a CCG (Collectible Card Game) like Yugiho / Magic/ Pokemon etc.

MLP:FiM  also has a TC (Trading Cards) like Baseball cards and such.

You can get them at your Local Gaming store if they are fine with ponies... some places are actually anti-ponies but Target and Walmart would be another route, They are around $3.49 to $3.99 per booster and $10.99 for a starter kit.  

• Brohoof 1

Yes MLP:FiM has a CCG (Collectible Card Game) like Yugiho / Magic/ Pokemon etc.

MLP:FiM  also has a TC (Trading Cards) like Baseball cards and such.

You can get them at your Local Gaming store if they are fine with ponies... some places are actually anti-ponies but Target and Walmart would be another route, They are around $3.49 to $3.99 per booster and $10.99 for a starter kit.  

Cool, sounds like something I could definitely get into! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Alright guys, I have a question, has anyone else encountered this.  I got two of the starter decks, and I was playing as my mane, Twilight and my brother was Rarity…

Let me playout a game play so you can see if we are doing something wrong…

He goes first

On his turn, with his two action tokens he summons two different friends of different powers and complete his problem…. gaining 1 point for the confronting the problem and 1 point for bonus…. That means in a Single Score phase he gains 2 points because according to the rule book in Step 2 “If you are fulfilling the requirements, you successfully confront that Problem and score 1 point.” and Step 3 says “Check if you are the first player to successfully confront the Problem if you are, score that Problem’s bonus point.”

Because he scored 2 points in a single score phase he can flip over Rarity…  Rarity’s bonus is “Inspired”.  According to the rule book, “Inspired, at the start of your Main Phase, look at the number of cards on the top of an opponent’s deck equal to the number of cards you have in play with this keyword.  Put each of those cards on either the top or the bottom of that player’s deck in any order”... Which we gathered, if he has 2 inspired cards in play, then at the start of his main phase he can control my next 2 cards.  Because he can control the “Flipped” card, he controls the result of all Faceoffs… As well has the ability to remove big cards that could change the game.  In his starter deck he got 4 cards + Rarity that have inspired…. which after Rarity is flipped its a snowball effect because Rarity controls the game…. Having an Inspired herself.  

From this point on meaning (My second turn) I am being controlled by Inspired and will lose...

This played out over 25 games of losing every time...

I have played TCG before, both magic and wow... I have won tournaments so I feel I understand TCG/CCG at some level...  I cannot find a way to prevent, this from happening.... I mean it takes 2 of my turns to even get a trouble maker out there and by that time he has already no matter want, have completed his problem... and flipped over Rarity.

My question is this… Am I misunderstanding Inspired?  It feel that inspired is way too overpowered because that power can prevent their opponent from ever getting any cards to counter it.

Alright guys, I have a question, has anyone else encountered this. I got two of the starter decks, and I was playing as my mane, Twilight and my brother was Rarity…

Let me playout a game play so you can see if we are doing something wrong…

He goes first

On his turn, with his two action tokens he summons two different friends of different powers and complete his problem…. gaining 1 point for the confronting the problem and 1 point for bonus…. That means in a Single Score phase he gains 2 points because according to the rule book in Step 2 “If you are fulfilling the requirements, you successfully confront that Problem and score 1 point.” and Step 3 says “Check if you are the first player to successfully confront the Problem if you are, score that Problem’s bonus point.”

Because he scored 2 points in a single score phase he can flip over Rarity… Rarity’s bonus is “Inspired”. According to the rule book, “Inspired, at the start of your Main Phase, look at the number of cards on the top of an opponent’s deck equal to the number of cards you have in play with this keyword. Put each of those cards on either the top or the bottom of that player’s deck in any order”... Which we gathered, if he has 2 inspired cards in play, then at the start of his main phase he can control my next 2 cards. Because he can control the “Flipped” card, he controls the result of all Faceoffs… As well has the ability to remove big cards that could change the game. In his starter deck he got 4 cards + Rarity that have inspired…. which after Rarity is flipped its a snowball effect because Rarity controls the game…. Having an Inspired herself.

From this point on meaning (My second turn) I am being controlled by Inspired and will lose...

This played out over 25 games of losing every time...

I have played TCG before, both magic and wow... I have won tournaments so I feel I understand TCG/CCG at some level... I cannot find a way to prevent, this from happening.... I mean it takes 2 of my turns to even get a trouble maker out there and by that time he has already no matter want, have completed his problem... and flipped over Rarity.

My question is this… Am I misunderstanding Inspired? It feel that inspired is way too overpowered because that power can prevent their opponent from ever getting any cards to counter it.

I am not certain if each Inspired card adds up to looking at more cards.

But you need to find ways to counter Rarity. The first thing you want to try to do is make sure that he does not flip immediately. That might be hard to do but I don't think that he can flip Rarity on turn 1 because it costs 2 action tokens to move Rarity to a problem plus he has to pay action tokens to place a non-white character to a problem. Because Twilight needs to flip for a faceoff anyways, you should play her at your brother's problem first, not your own.

The longer you can keep Rarity from flipping, the better. Also, the sooner you flip Twilight, the more powerful you will be.

If you can play a Troublemaker on your first turn to your brother's problem, that will also help. If you go first, that will help a lot.

If you can make your side of the problem overpowered, then your chances are better for winning a faceoff, even if your flip is not that great.

I do hope this helps. This all comes from someone whose mane is Rarity. :)

But you need to find ways to counter Rarity. The first thing you want to try to do is make sure that he does not flip immediately. That might be hard to do but I don't think that he can flip Rarity on turn 1 because it costs 2 action tokens to move Rarity to a problem plus he has to pay action tokens to place a non-white character to a problem. Because Twilight needs to flip for a faceoff anyways, you should play her at your brother's problem first, not your own.

But if you compare the reading of the Rarity card, "When you score at least 2 points at this card's Problem during one Score Phase, turn this card over" and Twilight's Card "When you win a faceoff involving this card, turn this card over".  The way I understand this, is that Rarity doesn't have to be present at the resolution of the conflict, she just has to score 2 points from her problem, else the writer of the card would have used the word "involved"

But if you compare the reading of the Rarity card, "When you score at least 2 points at this card's Problem during one Score Phase, turn this card over" and Twilight's Card "When you win a faceoff involving this card, turn this card over". The way I understand this, is that Rarity doesn't have to be present at the resolution of the conflict, she just has to score 2 points from her problem, else the writer of the card would have used the word "involved"

A couple of things.

I don't think that it would fit to have the card say "involved" for Rarity. "When you score at least 2 points involving this card's problem, flip" is essentially saying the same thing... I am pretty positive that Rarity - and all the other mane cards for that matter - need to be confronting their problems in the way the description says. Someone more well-versed in the game can correct me if I am wrong, but it seems REALLY unfair to have the rest of the mane 5 be able to flip with the help of friends but Twilight herself needs to be involved in the faceoff.

BUT EVEN IF RARITY DIDN'T HAVE TO BE AT THE PROBLEM TO FLIP, it is still possible to prevent her from flipping by confronting Rarity's problem first. As a rarity player, last time I played, I couldn't flip for the longest time because my husband confronted my first problem first. And being unable to flip held me back considerably.

But yeah could someone when knows the rules super well clarify if mane characters can only flip if they themselves are at a particular problem?

RockinRarity, on 11 Jan 2014 - 11:36 PM, said:

A couple of things.

I don't think that it would fit to have the card say "involved" for Rarity. "When you score at least 2 points involving this card's problem, flip" is essentially saying the same thing... I am pretty positive that Rarity - and all the other mane cards for that matter - need to be confronting their problems in the way the description says. Someone more well-versed in the game can correct me if I am wrong, but it seems REALLY unfair to have the rest of the mane 5 be able to flip with the help of friends but Twilight herself needs to be involved in the faceoff.

BUT EVEN IF RARITY DIDN'T HAVE TO BE AT THE PROBLEM TO FLIP, it is still possible to prevent her from flipping by confronting Rarity's problem first. As a rarity player, last time I played, I couldn't flip for the longest time because my husband confronted my first problem first. And being unable to flip held me back considerably.

But yeah could someone when knows the rules super well clarify if mane characters can only flip if they themselves are at a particular problem?

rarity has to be at a problem in order to flip because her effect says "when you score at least 2 point at this cards problem one score phase,turn this card over"which means you score a bonus or play "creme de la creme" when you solve a problem with rarity there but that's for rarity but i do believe rainbow dash has to be at a problem face off involving a trouble maker to flip

Edited by Vinyl_3
  • Brohoof 1

rarity has to be at a problem in order to flip because her effect says "when you score at least 2 point at this cards problem one score phase,turn this card over"which means you score a bonus or play "creme de la creme" when you solve a problem with rarity there but that's for rarity but i do believe rainbow dash has to be at a problem face off involving a trouble maker to flip

This is what I thought. You are right about Rainbow Dash. And Applejack needs to confront her problem with more power than required to flip.

It just doesn't make sense for the character to power up if the character herself did nothing to gain that power up, you know?

Bashscript, if you do not believe us, then my suggestion would be to look at the Enterplay Facebook page to see what they are saying. You can also contact them directly for rule clarification.

My guess, though, is that you have been playing the game incorrectly and in your brother's favor. Try playing with this rule in mind, and remember what I told you about preventing Rarity from flipping.

This is what I thought. You are right about Rainbow Dash. And Applejack needs to confront her problem with more power than required to flip.

It just doesn't make sense for the character to power up if the character herself did nothing to gain that power up, you know?

Bashscript, if you do not believe us, then my suggestion would be to look at the Enterplay Facebook page to see what they are saying. You can also contact them directly for rule clarification.

My guess, though, is that you have been playing the game incorrectly and in your brother's favor. Try playing with this rule in mind, and remember what I told you about preventing Rarity from flipping.

Oh, its not a huge deal, I was just wondering,  I was just throwing my two cents at the issue.... I did some research and learned that Inspired DOES stack however, each effect happens one at a time.  So you don't look at 3 cards if you have 3 inspired, you can loop at the top card 3 times and choose what to do with it.... The Card text overrides the rules inside the rule book.

Oh, its not a huge deal, I was just wondering, I was just throwing my two cents at the issue.... I did some research and learned that Inspired DOES stack however, each effect happens one at a time. So you don't look at 3 cards if you have 3 inspired, you can loop at the top card 3 times and choose what to do with it.... The Card text overrides the rules inside the rule book.

OK, good to know. That makes sense.

Still worth trying some of those strategies to beat your brother. Winning all the time gets boring~

• 1 month later...

Ok to whoever is alive on this page ,not so long ago i tried out my blue/white deck and i basically it failed miserably because my deck basically depended on me drawing another blue that doesn't require me to draw other blues that allow me to play it so after playing the game i decided  to change to a white/purple so what i wanted to ask is if anyone else playing white/purple can recommend me what cards i can use.(Forest owls should be like in every deck)

• 2 weeks later...

A strategy I recommend with a loyalty/generosity deck is defend 1 problem with overpowered cards in face offs and do troublemaker chains on the other while both problems are solved. This works best with rarity, royal guard, forest owl, and any other cards with plus points in faceoffs.

I like to just have a constant stream of trouble makers at both problems and I play rainbow as my mane.

Also I have assault cake a promo card and I always win faceoffs because of it unless they have like 10 cards there.

( I just realized I have over $100 on MLP CCG)

this is the best website i found for helping you build and find what deck for example i run a applejack deck and i can add a fluttershy deck or a twilight deck with applejack depending on the problem deck i have here the website check it out 

http://mlpforums.com/topic/81521-my-little-pony-collectible-card-game-strategies/ <----- the deck builder website 

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...

Anybody go to a pre-release event? Or at least get any cards from the Canterlot Nights expansion?

I went and there weren't that many people, but at least I got a white/yellow deck and a bunch of boosters. So excited to have white/yellow problem cards now, as well as cards that are meant to work with white and yellow decks. Plus there are some really neat cards in there and I'm excited to play the game with my husband again and see if I fare any better against him. He beats me every time, although it usually is a pretty close game.

Anybody go to a pre-release event? Or at least get any cards from the Canterlot Nights expansion?

I went and there weren't that many people, but at least I got a white/yellow deck and a bunch of boosters. So excited to have white/yellow problem cards now, as well as cards that are meant to work with white and yellow decks. Plus there are some really neat cards in there and I'm excited to play the game with my husband again and see if I fare any better against him. He beats me every time, although it usually is a pretty close game.

I didn't have a pre-release, and we won't be getting Canterlot Nights expansion till Monday.  It sucks to live in a small town. >_>

I didn't have a pre-release, and we won't be getting Canterlot Nights expansion till Monday. It sucks to live in a small town. >_>

I was surprised that we had one 5 minutes from my house. It wasn't very well advertised though. It was just me and two other guys so I watched them play but I didn't get a chance to play at all. Ah well.

I can't wait to get the new Princess Celestia theme deck, its gonna be awesome.

Im also gonna buy like 10 booster pks haha.

I already have like 9 pks from the last set plus the Twilight Sparkle theme deck, its really cool(probably gonna boost up the deck once I get newer cards from Canterlot Nights)