Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Godzilla 2014

Bright Honor

Finally got around to see Godzilla tonight. THIS is how a Godzilla movie is done! The music echoed back to the original Gojira theme perfectly, the effects were spectacular, and the writing was beautiful. The topper, though, was when everybody in the theater cheered everytime Big G used his atomic breath. Parents weren't so impressed, unfortunately. Didnt understand the metaphor behind the film, I guess. Aw well. Only complaint was the rude people in the theater. One dude flashed his phone camera twice and the chick next to me kept checking her phone, texting, and talking. I woulda told her to shut up if it wasnt so much fun to be an ass back (ie, looking over her shoulder when she was on her phone and making nerdy remarks back to her comments).

Fuckin loved that movie! I'm hoping for a sequel in the future

I heard Del Toro is gonna make several sequels and there was also an Easter Egg in the movie.  That was Mothra's name popping up 5 times which gives me the suspicion that Mothra may be in the sequel.  Yet, there was another rumor that Rodan, Angurius, and King Ghidorah may appear which would be so awesome, :)

• Brohoof 1

I saw this about a couple of weeks back, and I enjoyed the hell out of it! It's essentially been the Godzilla movie I have been craving since Toho stopped.

Can't wait for the sequel!

(edited)

It should be renamed "Human Soldiers-illa 2014". Godzilla (and it's enemies) needed WAY more screentime, imho. Otherwise, it was pretty good.

Edited by Guest

I watched the movie with my big brother and it was awesome! I was cheering for Godzilla when he's on the scene. And that roar...Oh man that roar! It's one of the best things I've ever heard. I may not be a hardcore Godzilla fan but I thought the movie and the King of Monsters himself was great! The new monsters were also impressive too.

It was so nice to see him back in his 60th year anniversary. He's like a force of nature, coming back to sort things out now and again.   

• Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just watched the movie with some friends... It was alright...This film truly does justice to Goji himself!!! The human subplot felt a little tasteless though... but overall it's a truly successfull reboot for the kaiju king

ONLY problem I had with it, which didn't bug me too much, but still it seems like most every monster movie has to have a prego kaiju in it...this was no exception with the MUTO, but it did give them purpose for being there. The 98 movie had prego zilla, Pacific Rim had the prego kaiju, ect.

Still was an amazing movie!!

I loved the movie, way better than what we tried to do before with Matthew Broderick. The only issue I have is that Godzilla and his enemies needed more screentime, it's fine to focus on the citizens and soldiers, but at least keep the switching from each point of view consistent.

• 2 months later...

Obviously, it had to be better than the 90s movie, this one follows the original japanese movies, and the 98 movie was an insult to the Godzilla franchise, it didn't even deserve to be called Godzilla.

Finally something that doesn't insult the name of the King of the Monsters, like the 98 movie.

Don't you remember Final Wars? Toho bought out that... Thing the US tried to pass of as Godzilla, renamed it to Zilla, & had Godzilla fry him to bits <3

Oh and, great movie, saw it ages ago, not my favorite but definitely in the upper areas of Godzilla movies. Just didn't feel as engaging as its Japanese counterparts, but the action was nice & flowing & they didn't completely screw up the CGI like I expected them too. I'd recommend Final Wars over it but for what it is I would definitely recommend it to someone who doesn't want to deal with reading subs or watching an awkward dub  :)

Don't you remember Final Wars? Toho bought out that... Thing the US tried to pass of as Godzilla, renamed it to Zilla, & had Godzilla fry him to bits <3

Oh and, great movie, saw it ages ago, not my favorite but definitely in the upper areas of Godzilla movies. Just didn't feel as engaging as its Japanese counterparts, but the action was nice & flowing & they didn't completely screw up the CGI like I expected them too. I'd recommend Final Wars over it but for what it is I would definitely recommend it to someone who doesn't want to deal with reading subs or watching an awkward dub  :)

Oh... Yessss... :D

My favourite scene was seeing that asexual salamander explode into a bajillion pieces. Thank God(zilla) for that, that abomination was suffering too much with that horrible CGI.

Since the 98 was such an insult to the japanese movies, I'd recommend any of the jap movies instead, even Godzilla's Revenge, Gojira's worst movie. That movie is awful, but the 98 movie is disrespectful. I onyl can rescue three things from it:

Jean Reno, the actor that plays the french soldier. He's awesome, as always.

Roger Ebert and SIskel's cameo. A cameo honoring two critics that still said the movie was horrendous.

Zilla, the design was cool, but it didn't deserve to be called Godzilla.

Well, let me add a fourth thing:

Godzilla: The Series. The show was thousands of times better than the movie. Zilla Jr deserved to be called Godzilla much more than his parent.

• Brohoof 1

29 if you include the 1998 failure so this would be the 30th one. And that thread if it exists was dead lol.

Apparently Akira Takarada, legendary Godzilla actor, has seen the design. He supposedly claims it's "tall, thin, upright, spiked arms, millennium style plates, small head" and it is "respectful to the Japanese Godzilla.

31 with the upcoming sequel. I'm sure it's gonna be equally as awesome.

Roger Ebert and SIskel's cameo. A cameo honoring two critics that still said the movie was horrendous.

I don't think "honoring" entails making them look like incompetent politicians lol... Whatever, that wasn't a Godzilla movie, that was a Zilla movie. Whoever wants to argue that point can go see the movie this thread is about, that is a real Godzilla

I don't think "honoring" entails making them look like incompetent politicians lol... Whatever, that wasn't a Godzilla movie, that was a Zilla movie. Whoever wants to argue that point can go see the movie this thread is about, that is a real Godzilla

Well, this one is also not a Godzilla movie. If it's not made by Toho, it's not Godzilla for me. But since the last one was called Zilla because it didn't deserve the "God" i'd said this one should be called "Godzi".

Well, this one is also not a Godzilla movie. If it's not made by Toho, it's not Godzilla for me. But since the last one was called Zilla because it didn't deserve the "God" i'd said this one should be called "Godzi".

Eh I feel this would be better left as a debate for people who are more awake, besides considering how the big lizard has been treated this is not nearly his worst interpretation

• Brohoof 1

Eh I feel this would be better left as a debate for people who are more awake, besides considering how the big lizard has been treated this is not nearly his worst interpretation

True.

Godzilla is far from being badly represented. Even Hanna-Barbera portrayed him well. With friggin' laser eyes.  :P

But why Godzuki... :umad:

• Brohoof 1