Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is the Season 4 finale going to steal my ideas?

sampsoninc916

On Facebook, the Hub and the MLP Facebook page have been teasing about the Equestria Games, which will undoubted be in the Season 4 finale, which will very likely be a two parter. The problem is, I'm worried that it is going to steal some of my ideas that I have for the movie, which I want to make once I get my career going. Some folks have criticized me for wanting more gruesome violence on My Little Pony. Not true, I only worry about it getting so dark, distraught, and PG-13-ish, which I should know by know that it won't. My idea for the movie involves a male autistic unicorn pony named Emerald Wishes witnessing that fateful wedding where he thinks Queen Chrysalis killed Princess Celestia, which in real life she didn't, and spends 12 years of his life becoming more powerful in order to "avenge Celestia's death" yet learns that Celestia is doing fine and Queen Chrysalis never came back in 12 years and eventually helps the Mane 6 and the princesses in fighting the large evil approaching Equestria. I'm a little worried that if the Season 4 finale brings Queen Chrysalis back, or even worse, reforms her, my idea for the movie that I've been mapping in my head for the past 2 years goes directly in the dustbin and I have to start entirely from scratch again. I'm just a senior in college, and after college I want to establish myself as an animation studio guy and make the My Little Pony movie by the year 2023. I sometimes worry that Hasbro has placed secret cameras in my house to monitor what I'm thinking and then they're gonna steal some of my ideas before I get to make them. Of course I'm joking about the cameras part, but we all have that feeling that we are being watched by something else, even when we're alone. Only thing that could watch us all is the Lord God Almighty. 

Do you have any feelings that the show may steal your ideas about the whole Pony universe?

Say they did make this an episode - just because it was like your idea doesn't mean that they 'stole' it from you. There are only a handful of stories in the world - every story has already been told hundreds of times already, just with different details. Thats like saying that Disney stole the idea from Shakespeare when they wrote the The Lion King, or that James Cameron stole from Disney when he wrote Avatar.

A male, autistic pony introduced on the spur of the moment as a new main character, who joins up with the established cast to save the world against the already established villains, plus one thats 'bigger and badder' than the established ones? Not going to happen. Sorry, I really don't mean to be rude but this sounds like a generic wish fulfillment self-insert fic.  

Not only that, but it makes no sense from a business perspective: while Hasbro could easily justify introducing a new character, it wouldn't be financially sound to make him autistic - or handicapped in any way other than the established 'acceptable' handicaps. We all know what happened with Derpy - they aren't going to risk driving the franchise into the ground by trying that again.

Lastly, genuinely confused here: how did you get from 'Equestria Games' to ' New hero, reforming Chrysalis and saving the world'?

Edited by Cinderscribe
  • Brohoof 2

Say they did make this an episode - just because it was like your idea doesn't mean that they 'stole' it from you. There are only a handful of stories in the world - every story has already been told hundreds of times already, just with different details. Thats like saying that Disney stole the idea from Shakespeare when they wrote the The Lion King, or that James Cameron stole from Disney when he wrote Avatar.

A male, autistic pony introduced on the spur of the moment as a new main character, who joins up with the established cast to save the world against the already established villains, plus one thats 'bigger and badder' than the established ones? Not going to happen. Sorry, I really don't mean to be rude but this sounds like a generic wish fulfillment self-insert fic.

Not only that, but it makes no sense from a business perspective: while Hasbro could easily justify introducing a new character, it wouldn't be financially sound to make him autistic - or handicapped in any way other than the established 'acceptable' handicaps. We all know what happened with Derpy - they aren't going to risk driving the franchise into the ground by trying that again.

Lastly, genuinely confused here: how did you get from 'Equestria Games' to ' New hero, reforming Chrysalis and saving the world'?

^ This. It says it all.

Also, another thing I thought could be a problem is if it's a male pony. The show is still for 5 year old girls, you have to treat it that way. Little girls generally don't want to see some guys male OC on screen taking the place of Twilight as the main character. And, I'm confused on that 'Equestria Games definitely in season finale' to 'my OC seeking vengeance on Chrysalis in season finale' thing too. :wacko:

Also, the show can do whatever they like with Chrysalis.

I doubt they would go looking around for ideas with secret Hasbro spies. They're not Fox.

Hehe, Simpsons gag. Edited by ~Sunlight

A Canterlot Wedding was going to be mainly about the "pretty pink pony princess" wedding. Us fans saw it as a new epic story with a new beast villain. The reason why I want to have an autistic character in the My Little Pony movie is 1. There has never been before in the history of mankind an autistic character that was animated. There have already been autistic characters in cinema. Rain Man, anyone? 2. I want to be the real risk taker, the misfit, the crazy one. Walt Disney was a risk taker. Steve Jobs was a risk taker. John Lasseter was a risk taker. Albert Einstein was a risk taker. Thomas Edison was a risk taker. Martin Luther King Jr. was a risk taker. The ones who help change the world are the ones who take the big risks and are not afraid to stand up for what they believe is right. If I make this movie that I want to make, I'll probably be the first high functioning autistic person in the history of mankind to ever direct any movie ever in the history of Hollywood. I never saw Derpy as being autistic. Compared to Derpy, Emerald Wishes is really smart. I'm really smart, I don't have wall eyes, and I'm progressing farther than some of you can even imagine. Some folks thought I would never make it past high school. Well, I did. Some folks believe that I would never make it past college. Well, here I am, and I only have a small handful of college semesters left. Sure there is going to be an Equestria Games, but A Canterlot Wedding was based around an villain plot that took place in the midst of a big Equestria event. Not to mention I want to have reindeer in the movie. Not only is this because the writers established that hooved mammals can speak, but also it is because I am a huge fan of the stop motion Rankin Bass Christmas Specials, including their most famous one, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, which will turn 50 next year. The writing team probably has better ideas than I do, so proper collaboration with them on the movie will ensure that I have a good original movie based on a story universe based on a toy, which probably wouldn't count as being original. In order to get a quality product, I need a real crew plus an MPAA official to make sure the movie is rated G.

I don't mean for a male character to take the place of Twilight! I just want to add some male characters in order to help balance out the male and female characters, still keeping the focus on the female characters. There has never been a boys club in Equestria, so having male characters to balance out the male and female characters can add some substance.

A Canterlot Wedding was going to be mainly about the "pretty pink pony princess" wedding. Us fans saw it as a new epic story with a new beast villain. The reason why I want to have an autistic character in the My Little Pony movie is 1. There has never been before in the history of mankind an autistic character that was animated. There have already been autistic characters in cinema. Rain Man, anyone? 2. I want to be the real risk taker, the misfit, the crazy one. Walt Disney was a risk taker. Steve Jobs was a risk taker. John Lasseter was a risk taker. Albert Einstein was a risk taker. Thomas Edison was a risk taker. Martin Luther King Jr. was a risk taker. The ones who help change the world are the ones who take the big risks and are not afraid to stand up for what they believe is right. If I make this movie that I want to make, I'll probably be the first high functioning autistic person in the history of mankind to ever direct any movie ever in the history of Hollywood. I never saw Derpy as being autistic. Compared to Derpy, Emerald Wishes is really smart. I'm really smart, I don't have wall eyes, and I'm progressing farther than some of you can even imagine. Some folks thought I would never make it past high school. Well, I did. Some folks believe that I would never make it past college. Well, here I am, and I only have a small handful of college semesters left. Sure there is going to be an Equestria Games, but A Canterlot Wedding was based around an villain plot that took place in the midst of a big Equestria event. Not to mention I want to have reindeer in the movie. Not only is this because the writers established that hooved mammals can speak, but also it is because I am a huge fan of the stop motion Rankin Bass Christmas Specials, including their most famous one, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, which will turn 50 next year. The writing team probably has better ideas than I do, so proper collaboration with them on the movie will ensure that I have a good original movie based on a story universe based on a toy, which probably wouldn't count as being original. In order to get a quality product, I need a real crew plus an MPAA official to make sure the movie is rated G.

It's good to want to take risks, but... They won't let you. You'll still be a newbie to the writing team at that point, they aren't going to let you plummet Hasbro into a sea of hate mail. The movie may speak to some people, but the majority of five year old girls and soccer mums won't like watching something about a male autistic pony. You're trying to change MLP? Lauren Faust beat you to it. She changed it into something great, and it won the hearts of hundreds of thousands of fans outside the age group. Everyone loves it the way it is, it doesn't need to be changed. Additionally, we still don't want to see some random, out of nowhere OC just there for the sake of being autistic. We want to see a movie based around the characters we know and love.

Sorry, if I sounded harsh, but that's my opinion.

• Brohoof 2

It's good to want to take risks, but... They won't let you. You'll still be a newbie to the writing team at that point, they aren't going to let you plummet Hasbro into a sea of hate mail. The movie may speak to some people, but the majority of five year old girls and soccer mums won't like watching something about a male autistic pony. You're trying to change MLP? Lauren Faust beat you to it. She changed it into something great, and it won the hearts of hundreds of thousands of fans outside the age group. Everyone loves it the way it is, it doesn't need to be changed. Additionally, we still don't want to see some random, out of nowhere OC just there for the sake of being autistic. We want to see a movie based around the characters we know and love.

Sorry, if I sounded harsh, but that's my opinion.

Okay, I see where you're going. Maybe I should rewrite my movie idea, centered around the main 6, and taking place 12 years after A Canterlot Wedding. Maybe I should save the autistic character for an original animated production of my own writing. Sorry if I caused much trouble. Either way, I still want to make a movie in 2023 that is dedicated to Walt Disney, because 2023 is the 100 year anniversary he founded the Disney company. It probably should be something different other than MLP.

Well, I really like the show the way it is, but what I would like to see is the mane 6 and the princesses really kick some honey buns, not to get their honey buns kicked. By which I mean, have a little Popeye the Sailor Man style fight.

• Brohoof 1

heres an idea.  go write a book, use your theme with orginal character and copy right it.

bam your covered.

any who a few months before the anime murder princess came out i was talking with a friend "wouldn't it be cool if they did a anime where two of the main characters did a mind swap."

and he like "freaky friday?"  "yeah that."

they did that in murder princess and honestly, i was happy i got to see someone did the work so i didn't have to LOL.

Objectivly it was an OKAy anime,

but it used something i wanted to see so i was happy about it

I'm not sure that it's even legal for them to use your ideas, and even if there's a slight possibility that they're allowed... Would they risk it? I get that they've used fan names before for background characters, but it's kind of risky to steal an entire plot line. 

They didn't steal your ideas, their ideas might sound like they are stealing them but if they did they would have to get the rights to use your ideas in the show. Your movie idea sounds good, just make it original. Since originality is better than plagiarism, like I always say.

I'm sorry, but your idea sounds completely out of hand for a show such as this one. There's probably a slim to none chance of your idea getting "stolen" whether intentionally or accidentally since it's so against what the show's really about.