Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Did we truly take the show's lessons to heart?

Raiko

And yet it seems everyone forgets them, and as I said earlier it's strange that a fandom of a show based around friendship can be so radically different lol.

I'm by no means saying we should all join hands or some load of bull like that (seriously that would make me sick), and by no means everyone should just 'tolerate' everyone else, but I think there's a lot of head butting over slight different personalities or quirks that shouldn't be going on and yet happens constantly lol.

As already seen, there are people who skip the lessons because they don't take them seriously because "they are for little girls". A funny thing you mentioned actually because this fandom is supposed to spread this so-called "love and tolerate" stuff so it is rather contradictionary that people don't take these morals to heart at all.

Maybe I'm being rude or defensive(I sometimes have trouble telling if I'm over-stepping lines) but isn't leaving because of a few assholes and holding people's mistakes and misspoken words against them the same kind of hypocrisy?

If i had left for that reason, and that reason only, yes, it would be. But amongst that, I also lost a large amount of interest in the show, and also quit working on any fan-made animation projects and artworks.

• Brohoof 1

But you also have to remember that we are all human and no one is perfect, we all make mistakes and say things we regret when things get heated. 

Yeah but you can't use that as an excuse to forgive fucks up, you use it as a way to help come to terms with them. No one's perfect but you don't just let everything slide because of that lol.

Truth be told. I watch the show for the story, music, and because the personalitys... but and the colors...

No I also think that... Yes. It saddens me that some morals that "I" take to heart in this show I actually seen thrown aside by many people today. And that brings me to the conclusion that if people took the time they could fricken learn something from a show that was engineered for girls 7 and under >_>

Edited by Techite Sparkle

All the lessons are aimed at younger children, and most of us here aren't young children (<7).

img-2151099-1-ahuizotl_objection_by_very

There are a lot of lessons that apply more to adult audiences than children. An example is "It's About Time", in which Twilight was so worried about the future that she didn't have time to enjoy the present. College scholarships and taxes, anyone?

In "Suited For Success", Rarity learns that trying to please everypony leads to pleasing nopony. I've found this concept to be repeated over and over in my business and marketing lessons for entrepreneurs trying to find a niche that can work for both them and their audience.

One lesson that I think most of the population doesn't understand yet needs to understand is from "One Bad Apple": if you are being mean to someone, you are being a bully. A lot of people think that if someone "deserves it", it's fine to insult, slander, and push them around. Justin Bieber as an example - if you step back a bit, you'll realize that millions of people hate and wish ill to a mere child they've never even met. Really, world?

Edited by Blique
  • Brohoof 4

If i had left for that reason, and that reason only, yes, it would be. But amongst that, I also lost a large amount of interest in the show, and also quit working on any fan-made animation projects and artworks.

I still don't agree with the concept "leaving a fandom" because I'm the kind of person that doesn't really stop liking things or likes to burn bridges, but that's a bit more understandable.

Yeah but you can't use that as an excuse to forgive fucks up, you use it as a way to help come to terms with them. No one's perfect but you don't just let everything slide because of that lol.

I didn't say you did, but refusing someone forgiveness just for some occasional cross words when they could legitimately  be a good person with a big mouth and lack of tact underneath it is silly.

I've met quite a few people that are good at heart, but can come off rough and may not pick the best choices of words. Shit, I have a habit of coming off a little crass when things get heated(not nearly as bad as some, but still) 

This fandom is like any other. The only reason people think it's more special is because it revolves around an unusual subject matter that many used to revile as being crap spewed towards little girls and there happen to be a lot of men involved in it. 

Well, that was unusually blunt of me. Let's get to the point!

I think that as a whole, no, the fandom has not taken the show's lessons to heart. As I said, we're all human, and we all act with the imperfections of humans. The lessons the show teaches are sometimes a bit too basic and impractical to practice all the time, but that's due to the target audience. In my mind, if MLP wasn't limited by its status as a show for very young children, the ponies would behave a little less idealistically. I think they're basically just equine versions of humans anyway. 

Not to say that humanity sucks. I don't think it does. I think humans are capable of very ugly and very beautiful things. Neutral, and in the middle. Just like the fandom. Which is why I can't say that the entire fandom as a whole has taken the show's lessons to heart. There's probably some people who have, some people who already knew the lessons because to me, they're kind of common sense and basic (as Klopp said, I'm in that group with him), some people who don't take the show that seriously, and some people who just plain haven't and are kind of dickheads (these tend to be the loudest in any group and easiest to notice). We're just a sample group in the overall greater picture of humanity, and as such, we can represent every bit of humanity, bad and good. Just like any other fandom.

• Brohoof 1

This fandom is like any other. The only reason people think it's more special is because it revolves around an unusual subject matter that many used to revile as being crap spewed towards little girls and there happen to be a lot of men involved in it. 

Well, that was unusually blunt of me. Let's get to the point!

I think that as a whole, no, the fandom has not taken the show's lessons to heart. As I said, we're all human, and we all act with the imperfections of humans. The lessons the show teaches are sometimes a bit too basic and impractical to practice all the time, but that's due to the target audience. In my mind, if MLP wasn't limited by its status as a show for very young children, the ponies would behave a little less idealistically. I think they're basically just equine versions of humans anyway. 

Not to say that humanity sucks. I don't think it does. I think humans are capable of very ugly and very beautiful things. Neutral, and in the middle. Just like the fandom. Which is why I can't say that the entire fandom as a whole has taken the show's lessons to heart. There's probably some people who have, some people who already knew the lessons because to me, they're kind of common sense and basic (as Klopp said, I'm in that group with him), some people who don't take the show that seriously, and some people who just plain haven't and are kind of dickheads (these tend to be the loudest in any group and easiest to notice). We're just a sample group in the overall greater picture of humanity, and as such, we can represent every bit of humanity, bad and good. Just like any other fandom.

Well put my friend, though I think it's better to have both the good and bad of everything rather than just one or the other. A human's capability to do whatever the hell it wants makes their choice all the more pugnant. Still, it sometimes seems even the most basic lessons or common sense blows right by people, especially with the dawn of the modern era. Less values seem to being around these days. Still, I find it hilarious when people call themselves a part of a fandom and yet contradict what they're a fan of to an extreme degree. I think if Rainbow Dash existed in real life, she would probably be called an arrogant bragger, and Applejack would get made fun of for her roots and accent (while being called ignorant), Twilight would get called a dork, Pinkie Pie would get labelled as annoying and even psycho, Rarity would be called a bitch, and Fluttershy....yeah I'm sure you can imagine how bad that would go.

The show puts out the obvious lessons for each episode that they learned and what not, but I think lessons can be learned from subtext, which is what I'm getting at.

What about you guys? Do you think if people existed that acted like the characters in the show, would you judge them or befriend them?

• Brohoof 2

By heart, most of the times, depends.

Some lessons are kind of common or something we already know naturally, but the ones that stick well like in certain episodes are the ones that I take into account of how well made they were.

So yeah, depends, but yes.

Yes and no. Sometimes whats taught won't work in reality as well as it ever does in the show.

HOWEVER.

As things go I keep seeing the "Love and Tolerate" thing brought up.. WHERE IS THIS FROM?!!?!

All I see is how having friends can help you overcome your troubles in many ways. And how supporting a friend is just as important. At best it mentions that you shouldn't judge others without getting to know them first (Bridle Gossip)

Never once does the show give a nod to the concept of "love and tolerate", and in fact it often shows that you may need to take a stand against certain others and push them away (Gilda, Chrysalis, the Dragon etc...).

Hardly a message of "Love and Tolerate" when your villains aren't accepted in the end and instead end up banished or worse.
Even Discord is given gruff in "Princess Twilight"  because of what he had done before the episode, to the point that they immediately jumped to conclusions about his connections with no evidence. Fluttershy even threatened to denounce him as a friend if he didn't help them clean up the mess BEFORE knowing he really was at fault.

Not very nice...

Edited by GrimCW

The lessons were a short reminder as to what it meant to be a good person. At first I watched the show just to watch it. I still do, but I've grown to appreciate the letters more, and take them a bit more meaningfully. So in a way, yes.

As things go I keep seeing the "Love and Tolerate" thing brought up.. WHERE IS THIS FROM?!!?!

All I see is how having friends can help you overcome your troubles in many ways. And how supporting a friend is just as important. At best it mentions that you shouldn't judge others without getting to know them first (Bridle Gossip)

Yeah, I've actually been wondering that myself. Who the hell started that whole thing anyways? (and where is the guy who started the term 'brony' right now? Do you think he's doing well?)

Yeah, I've actually been wondering that myself. Who the hell started that whole thing anyways? (and where is the guy who started the term 'brony' right now? Do you think he's doing well?)

as i stated before, i believe the whole 'love and tolerate' thing was nothing more than just a hollow mantra, that some guy (or girl - you never know) made up and if I'm not mistaken it actually came from 4chan as a joke or something..

@,

Then those within the fandom need to stop repeating this. Its a blatant lie, and makes everyone look worse for believing it.

that is pretty much true, I mean there are some that actually DO 'practice what they preach' but the vast majority spew it out as a joke (or at least that is what I've found anyway), how many people here can honestly say that they've stuck to the mantra? I can't. (well in the past anyway)

I think a few of us do, but the majority of us just say we do without really using the lessons in real life situations. We can say that we love the moral all we want, but that doesn't mean that we actually take it to heart. Also, because most of us feel like we've outgrown morals like that from a kids show, we kinda ignore them. Even though I believe you're never too old to learn a new moral, and I try to use them as much as I can.

Maybe the intentions were there in the beginning but if you ask me now... I see it all the time on the forums now. You will get attacked for having your own opinions a lot if you had not noticed by now. The whole love and tolerate thing was a nice idea but do you really expect a whole fandom to go by that it just won't happen. 

The lessons from the show I believe are great for any age. Does not matter who you are I believe you can take something positive from the show as I did. I have become a much more open minded person than I once was. Patience was another thing I have learned a bit as well for sure.

• Brohoof 2

some of the lessons just seem like common sense stuff... but there are a few that i have applied that have helped since getting into the show. 2 come to mind at the moment... i have a friend who believes, and claims that she can see Aura, and ghosts. the episode that was focused around twilightsparkle and pinky called " pinky sense " or someting helped with that, and i opened up to her ideas, and tried to believe her. ( before the show/lesson, i would have dismissed it as BS ) . then theres the episode with zecora the zebra... i work at walmart, and we get/have some weird and different customers, and employees. that lesson aided in that, especially when i had to work with a guy from africa with a weird accent that everyone said was " weird " and " awkward " . he ended up being funny, and an easy guy to work with once i got past the bad accent.

point goes to show, there are a few lessons us older folks/ponies ( pegasuses :D !!! ) could learn from the show.

... and as for the empty " love and tolerate " stuff, that was what attracted me to the show. before i was on xbox live everynight cussing randoms out, now im either working hard, or with my GF , or hangin with friends. ( funny how my life got better after a few all nighters with the show :P )

@,

Don't have to stick to a mantra that isn't representative of what your supposedly following. This bogus mantra needs to be stopped. It is in no way part of the show. 

That is my point exactly. It does need to be stopped, seeing as people spew it out left, right and center without actually using it themselves. It is just another pointless and idiotic meme (i think all meme's are pointless and idiotic)

that is pretty much true, I mean there are some that actually DO 'practice what they preach' but the vast majority spew it out as a joke (or at least that is what I've found anyway), how many people here can honestly say that they've stuck to the mantra? I can't. (well in the past anyway)

I don't care much for the 'tolerate' part. In my experience, tolerance has always been a bunch of bull.  Love your enemy, but that's it. People claim 'tolerance', but all it really ever amounts to is calling anyone who disagrees or conflicts hate-mongers or ignorant.

• Brohoof 1

I watch the show for the storyline, but the lessons and underlying themes in each episode serve as reminders to be a decent person.

Honestly, I think I am a good person. My behavior/attitude/decisions aren't always the best, but I don't quite look to pony for guidance. MLP is more like a beacon of everything I stand for rather than my ''How-to Guidebook'' of daily life.

A lot of the show's lessons aren't new to me, and I think one of the reasons that I like the show is because I can relate to the scenarios they go through and the lessons they've learned. So it's not like I am ignoring that aspect of the show. It's just been already applied to my conscience.

I think it depends on what kind of viewer you are. The lessons can be taken to heart, but I know quite a few bronies who don't follow them in the slightest. But, there are also people who remember them and use them later on.