Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I Feel Like I'm In Middle School Again...

Commander Bubbles

Mind you, this is all coming from the eyes of a sufferer of severe clinical depression, so a lot of what I say could reflect such. I mean, I haven't seen this huge a popularity contest since sixth grade. I see it all over here, and it feels just like I'm back in 2007 again. For starters, it's pretty clear that only the most popular members here are taken seriously. Honestly. I see it in status updates, where popular members, no matter what they say, get all sorts of comments from members and admins alike, and their blogs get the same treatment too. The mods and admins seem to love chatting with the forum elites, and whenever I try to talk with them, it seems they don't care at all about what I have to say, no matter how constructive it may be. Responses are short, dismissive, and show no empathy whatsoever. It may sound silly being this upset over things like this, but I honestly feel that you have to be a member with thousands of brohoofs, and profile views in the 10,000+ range to actually be liked here. I feel as if the popularity contest has gone way to far, and it's those unjustly at the bottom of the pyramid who feel the pinch. I think being not well liked in real life is enough, and for it to spread onto a perceived safe haven like MLPForums just makes me sad.

• Brohoof 13

Actually, I've been here for two months longer than you have. i already have a small circle of friends, and I don't feel ostracized at all.

You've been a member since 22 June 2013, and I joined in August of 2012

But that's good that you managed to find yourself not ostracized, cherish your friends you made. I'm not trying to pick a fight with you, but it's based on my experience and observations, and I'm merely pointing something out.

• Brohoof 1

You've been a member since 22 June 2013, and I joined in August of 2012

Damn, I failed hard XD.

But that's good that you managed to find yourself not ostracized, cherish your friends you made. I'm not trying to pick a fight with you, but it's based on my experience and observations, and I'm merely pointing something out.

Alright, thanks!

Edited by Static Electricity
  • Brohoof 1

You know what?  I agree.  There's tons of little cliques on here.  I don't really care at this point, but to others, it could certainly be a major problem.   There's an established pecking order on here too;  I see it everyday.   

• Brohoof 4

I see what you mean, the fancy icon right under your profile pic, showing how many post's you have made, is a indicator to how much people agree to what you say.

It is to be expected though, as it's human nature. I personally don't make up my mind based on that icon, but I catch myself looking at peoples pages and age to verify weather or not it's worth replying, or talking to the person.

Well, this little write-up came from a cupcake, so don't worry too much about it ;)

• Brohoof 2

You can not imagine how many times I've heard a lot of members say that they're being ignored due to popularity, and I have to agree with them on that. But, I don't care at all and for others it is a problem for them.

• Brohoof 1

Hate to say this but I end up saying it a lot anyways.

What your seeing and comparing to school, is just normal social life all about the world.

This isn't new, its not exclusive, and its not just something from school.

You'll find it the same at jobs, out in public, and to some degree within your own family.

If I had a dollar for every person I've heard complain their job has as much drama as their old high school, I'd be able to pay my mortgage for at least 3 months over.

People will always carry that with them, no matter where you go.

Sorry you feel left out, but the most I can say is just get out there and if you have an opinion make it heard. Don't take others popularity to heart, nor concern yourself with it.

Concern yourself only with your views, your friends, and then see who does agree with you and get in touch with them some more.

Personally I went and dug around the gaming threads and joined the MLPForums STEAM group, found a few new gaming buddies this way.

Pick something you enjoy (be it a specific thing about the ponies, or a hobby) and talk about it, see who shares the interest, and make new friends from, and through them.

Edited by GrimCW
  • Brohoof 6

Yeah but when the staff starts to join in on ostracizing people...

Can't say I've seen that, and TBH though as long as its not connected to admin abuse, its really not of consequence either. But this will also be a VERY common thing in the work place, and if you haven't seen it yet your damned lucky. Managers/supervisors will take sides, often with the biggest ass kisser around. Despite the entire crew can know that that person is worthless.

I've been to a number of jobs that just because I wasn't alcoholic I wasn't welcome, and others where just because I didn't have a terrible attitude I wasn't wanted. Not by everyone, but rather just by a select few, and often those with the manager/supervisor on their side via buying the booze for them.

Like I said, get yourself out there, ignore those that are against you, or argue your point vehemently and get others to join. Find a few friends and don't be afraid to send a few friend requests yourself.

If ya game on STEAM at all look me up, and for that matter the forums group. Always up for another gaming buddy!

• Brohoof 3

Yea, it's true, and sadly, it's the same in real life...

We've got a lot of members here, like hundreds of active members. So it's quite difficult to be popular. Try to get some friends around here and here and talk to them often, you will be appreciated by your friends at least. ^_^ It's easier to be popular on small communities. I remember when I joined; I felt the community to be a bit cold. But well, try to be active as much as you can and some people will get to know you. :)

I'm not very popular on here either lol.

That's probably because people get popular on websites by becoming well known and foruming(you can all feel free to throw things at me now) relationships with the other users. Of course most of us are going to trust the people we've developed real respect for over some random new guy with only a dozen posts that hasn't proved himself trustworthy yet.  

You can't just whine "I'm not popular and no-one listens to me" you have to get out there and be a part of the community and make it happen. You don't find a place in a community of any kind by sitting around waiting. You have to be active enough for everyone to get to know you.  

I'm pretty sure as hell I'm not "one of the popular guys" but I get along fine because I've stood up for my opinions and not backed down during a debate with someone I thought was wrong, and I've had multiple people tell me they respect me for that. 

Edited by Shoboni
  • Brohoof 6

In a way, I partly agree.

Popularity in this day and decade is all about who can make the biggest laughs and stupidity for recognition.

But gaining a lot of brohoofs and views is just part of what is done around here, I personally don't care if anyone is popular or not.

The main point is too make friends and get to know others who share the same interests like MLP for example.

While most call me cool and popular, I don't take it to the point where I act like a showoff, I take it to a point where I'm glad my friends think of me that way for the good reasons like helping, comforting, and more.

Overall, never let that stuff get to ya, be who you are, it's better to be recognized as a great friend than that cool guy who will be remembered only for the time being.

You can count on me pal, I acknowledge everyone here possible.

Edited by ~Silver Essence~
  • Brohoof 2

Well I have t say this. I d agree with the fact that you need to have lots of posts and stuff, cause like someone I know is always like "oh I have more brohoofs than you, you only have 8 and I have way more!" I think its annoying. I'm fine if the respect levels change, but bragging is just going too far. I mean yah, you had a good post, good for you. You don't need to rub it into other people's faces. I just say we should just keep to what our title says and not take it any further. Ok that last line maybe didn't really make sense, but it kinda says what I'm trying to say.

The thing is, there are cliques everywhere. People will act like this no matter where you go, it's inescapable. Fortunately for us, this forum is friendly enough that the people at the "bottom" as you call it make friends together. Who cares who the moderators favor? When I joined, I had multiple very friendly, long, heartfelt PM's from some high up people here, and it is what helped me to become comfortable enough to check the forum every day. A lot of the discussions are strange, excluding, etc. but it's the same in every "society" so to speak. I've made friends here, and so can everyone else, despite who the moderators and admins want to favor.

• Brohoof 3

I'm in the camp of not needing internet popularity on a forum website as validation. I do and say what I want here and if people like it, so be it but I'm not going to extract my self-worth from it. Makes things way more easy-going and less drama-y that way.

Then again I'm 24 so I'm past the stage of peer acceptance.

• Brohoof 4

Well to be honest mate, that is how the entire world works. And as long as they do not directly assault those who are less "internet" popular than them, then it is not a real issue, and there is nothing worth while to be done. While you may feel that no one is looking at your blog, or that no one seems to reply to you, people do, and worrying about pusdo-fame is a fairly worthless pursuit.  

Tl;DR if you waen moar interbutts friends b edgy and troll stuffs and raep pone. 

Just be yourself. I'm loudmouthed and random, and even though I've not been here for a month I get noticed. I get responses. Just do what you enjoy. Talk about things you like. 

You'll find friends.