Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Steam Community links in profiles

Katana
Go to solution Solved by King,

Hi, folks. Hopefully, this is a relatively easy bug to fix; I had tried adding a few members on here on Steam by going to their profiles and clicking the Steam Community link listed. Unfortunately, that brought me to an error page on Steam Community. Upon second examination, I noticed that the link looked like this:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/http://steamcommunity.com/id/thisisnotarealpersonsid

I'm thinking this could be because some people see a field for their community ID, and instead paste in a full link to their profile. It may not be too hard to detect the long-winded version of that pattern (ie, if it contains "steamcommunity.com" then trim down to the last forward slash) so that people's links are clickable.

I tried to search around for similar topic listings, so I hope this isn't repeat information. Thank you for reading!

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, I'd agree some sort of safeguard should be applied for this.
I've also noticed people pasting full links not only in their Steam field - but their YouTube and DeviantArt fields too.

Even if a little notification is placed above the fields where you edit them saying something along the lines of, "Make sure to put full links.".

I will notify the technical administration. Hopefully they can do something about this.

Thanks for pointing it out! :)

• Brohoof 2

• 3 months later...
(edited)

Hi there @@Katana, this is actually due to the fact that people tend to enter the wrong information in the steam section of their profiles. People input their steam name instead of the ID which is used to form the profile URL.

For instance, if you go onto my profile and click on my steam ID, it will take you to my profile. My steam username is dawn_rider , but my ID is DawnRiderTheBrony which is used to form my personalised URL.

I had Arty edit the profile field to say "Steam ID" instead of just "Steam" , hopefully this prevents some peopel from inputting their steam name.

Edited by Rainbow Dash
  • Brohoof 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, @Katana! ^^

It seems you've been inactive for a little while, so I'm going to lock this thread.

If you ever become active again, and are still having trouble with this, please feel free to contact a Staff Member to open this thread back up, and we'll continue working on your issue, if Dawn's suggestion did not fix it already.

Thanks, and have a good one! ^^ (\

• Brohoof 1