Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general The Pagan Community Discussion Lounge

Altastrofae

WELCOME TO THE PCDL!

Or the Pagan Community Discussion Lounge

This is where the Pagan community can chitchat about their practices, or just chill. The coice is yours really.

Talk about your spiritual happening, experiences, the upcoming sabbat/festival/other, ritual you put together, etc.

• • •

RULES

1. Please respect others' beliefs, I understand that there's alot of hat both on and within the Pagan community, and I don't

want any of that

2. I'd rather not see anypony spamming here, so none of that, thank you

3. No "fluff" as in, "no coming here saying you're a god and lying poorly about it", or "treating this as RP" (last Pagan community

I was a part of had that problem alot so I thought I'd mention it) 

4. And of course, all normal site rules apply

Norse pagan reporting in. Good to see someone make another one of these threads. There was one before way back when in the long, long ago, but I have no idea where it is lol.

1 hour ago, CrystalBloodMoon said:

3. No "fluff" as in, "no coming here saying you're a god and lying poorly about it", or "treating this as RP" (last Pagan community

I was a part of had that problem alot so I thought I'd mention it) 

Thank you. Biggest problem I have is finding people who at the very least try to take it seriously. Went to a heathen convention once, and it was comprised almost exclusively of Tumblr LARPing. I at least enjoyed talking to some Native Americans about their beliefs and customs. I get that reviving a centuries old belief system will inevitably involve some LARPing, but if you claim to be a heathen and tell me you learned Norse mythology from the fucking Thor movies (true story), then you need to take a step back and wonder if maybe you're being a bit disrespectful.

/rant

• Brohoof 1

15 hours ago, Twiggy said:

Norse pagan reporting in. Good to see someone make another one of these threads. There was one before way back when in the long, long ago, but I have no idea where it is lol.

Thank you. Biggest problem I have is finding people who at the very least try to take it seriously. Went to a heathen convention once, and it was comprised almost exclusively of Tumblr LARPing. I at least enjoyed talking to some Native Americans about their beliefs and customs. I get that reviving a centuries old belief system will inevitably involve some LARPing, but if you claim to be a heathen and tell me you learned Norse mythology from the fucking Thor movies (true story), then you need to take a step back and wonder if maybe you're being a bit disrespectful.

/rant

Indeed, they bother me too. Heathenry is something I haven't looked into, tho I've heard of it, and understand your meaning.

14 hours ago, Momento Mori said:

Follower of Death here. Nice to see this on the forums. We just don't get enough love. <3

No we do not, we do not. This was a good idea

19 hours ago, Twiggy said:

>Norse Pagan

>In California 

You are a long way from traditional Norse Pagan grounds, that I can tell you. 

So is this a thread for all paganistic discussions? 
I don't really actively "practice" paganism. I think I would be more involved with it though if it was not looked down upon here in Iceland. Don't get me wrong, the Norse Pagan Community is probably among the stronger faiths that are practiced here, but they are more generally viewed as a cult. 
But they usually have open house on Saturdays and hold up traditional festivals. https://asatru.is/

Twiggy, do you have Gothis (Goðar)? Do you have good ways of learning Norse mythology? Have you read Hávamál ? I ask as I find it a bit bizarre that Norse Paganism stretches further than traditional Norse Pagan grounds (from Iceland all the way over to Estonia, from Northern Norway down to Northern Germany).  

• Brohoof 1

6 minutes ago, JonasDarkmane said:

>Norse Pagan

>In California 

So is this a thread for all paganistic discussions? 
I don't really actively "practice" paganism. I think I would be more involved with it though if it was not looked down upon here in Iceland. Don't get me wrong, the Norse Pagan Community is probably among the stronger faiths that are practiced here, but they are more generally viewed as a cult. 
But they usually have open house on Saturdays and hold up traditional festivals. https://asatru.is/

Twiggy, do you have Gothis (Goðar)? Do you have good ways of learning Norse mythology? Have you read Hávamál ? I ask as I find it a bit bizarre that Norse Paganism stretches further than traditional Norse Pagan grounds (from Iceland all the way over to Estonia, from Northern Norway down to Northern Germany).  

Yes, all Pagans are welcome. I'm surprised I've never studied Norse mythology. I try to know a little about all ancient cultures

ATTENTION!!!

Anypony interested in Covenwork may request to join the PMCoven currently in development

~ WE NEEDS PEOPLEZ ~

6 minutes ago, JonasDarkmane said:

Indeed. Long story short, the Desert Trilogy never really spoke to me, made some friends who were into Heathenry/Ásatrú/Odinism/Whatever one of the other 100 names they have for it in the states pick your poison, and they got me into it.

Being far away, there are a few different variants on it, but it's all more or less the same. It's been in the US for almost 60 years now.

7 minutes ago, JonasDarkmane said:

Twiggy, do you have Gothis (Goðar)?

None in my area that I know of. It's a small town with mostly old Christians. I live in the southern mountains, but there is a fairly decent number of pagans of all types in the northern mountains of California. Plan on going to check it out at some point. I had to move away from my aforementioned friends a couple years ago, so I'm pretty much flying solo where I am. Still keep in contact with them and see em every now and again though.

27 minutes ago, JonasDarkmane said:

Do you have good ways of learning Norse mythology? Have you read Hávamál ?

Basically I just googled Norse mythology and started reading. I read some of the same stories from different sources, so I feel like I have a decent idea about the actual mythology. Not the best way, I know, but I gotta work with what I got. If you have any recommended reading in English, then I will happily take a look at it.

And yes, I've read the Hávamál.

39 minutes ago, JonasDarkmane said:

I ask as I find it a bit bizarre that Norse Paganism stretches further than traditional Norse Pagan grounds (from Iceland all the way over to Estonia, from Northern Norway down to Northern Germany).

Back in the 60s there was a demand for something other than Semitic religions in the United States. Norse pagan beliefs, along with many others, made a resurgence. Being that many pagan faiths promote respect for nature and life, they were really popular with the Hippie movement and spread from there. Don't get me wrong, it's a very small minority of people, but we exist.

I may not have the soil, but I do have the blood.

43 minutes ago, JonasDarkmane said:

but they are more generally viewed as a cult. 

Is this because of Christians or because of Fedora Tippers? Or do they actually have some cult-like aspects in Iceland?

• Brohoof 1

I cannot be regarded as a true pagan. I once dabbled in Galdr and all sorts of things. I suppose I can still be of some assistance. Though, I am more interested in results than actual symbols and rituals. Nine times out of ten, witchcraft comes across like those ghost hunting shows. Rituals and symbols are invented by man. They are tools that help interpret and guide man's own thoughts. Rely on them alone and you would do more by just writing a diary.

8 hours ago, Twiggy said:

None in my area that I know of. It's a small town with mostly old Christians. I live in the southern mountains, but there is a fairly decent number of pagans of all types in the northern mountains of California. Plan on going to check it out at some point. I had to move away from my aforementioned friends a couple years ago, so I'm pretty much flying solo where I am. Still keep in contact with them and see em every now and again though.

Well, do your friends have any Gothis? What I am trying to get at is whether your organizing is structured in the same way as it is here in Iceland and even in Scandinavia :P

Basically I just googled Norse mythology and started reading. I read some of the same stories from different sources, so I feel like I have a decent idea about the actual mythology. Not the best way, I know, but I gotta work with what I got. If you have any recommended reading in English, then I will happily take a look at it.

And yes, I've read the Hávamál.

I would gladly go through the mythology with you at any time. I have given many reads and studied the mythology, though it has mostly been Icelandic centered, considering we mostly saved most of the knowledge about the mythology (praise be Snorri). Finding them in English will take a bit of online searching for me to do though since I have most everything in physical form and in my own language :adorkable:

I may not have the soil, but I do have the blood.

Of Nordic descent eh? I always suspected it from the name, though it could have also been an old Germanic name :grin:

Is this because of Christians or because of Fedora Tippers? Or do they actually have some cult-like aspects in Iceland?

Both. The Church bends to the Fedora Tippers. So because the Fedora Tippers sneer at both Christians and Pagans, the Christian Church is kinda active in dismissing the Pagans as a minority cult (in an effort to take some heat off of their own backs I guess). Otherwise, I would really say that they are mostly just treated like mud by any non-religious people or people who literally hate the old, the past. 
Other major political parties are also largely to blame for the view on Pagans. They have regularly bashed it.

• Brohoof 2

22 minutes ago, JonasDarkmane said:

Well, do your friends have any Gothis? What I am trying to get at is whether your organizing is structured in the same way as it is here in Iceland and even in Scandinavia :P

I don't think so, but I know that they exist here. There are a few non-profit groups that generally organize things, like lists of different groups in your area, and that fight for religious rights for heathens. Right for prisoners to wear the hammer like Christians get a cross and a Mjölnir symbol for veterans headstones. That sort of thing. Not sure how much regulation there is, like if they have to take classes or something, in order for these groups to recognize someone as a Gothi, but from what I've experienced so far, it seems kinda decentralized. Though I could be wrong on that.

32 minutes ago, JonasDarkmane said:

I would gladly go through the mythology with you at any time.

Sounds fun. DM me your discord or skype info or something and I'll add you in a bit.

34 minutes ago, JonasDarkmane said:

Of Nordic descent eh? I always suspected it from the name, though it could have also been an old Germanic name :grin:

Dad is a pure blood Norwegian. Mom is half German from her dad. The other half is anyone's guess lol.

• Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, Goat-kun said:

I cannot be regarded as a true pagan. I once dabbled in Galdr and all sorts of things. I suppose I can still be of some assistance. Though, I am more interested in results than actual symbols and rituals. Nine times out of ten, witchcraft comes across like those ghost hunting shows. Rituals and symbols are invented by man. They are tools that help interpret and guide man's own thoughts. Rely on them alone and you would do more by just writing a diary.

While this is true, symbols and rituals don't always work. It takes alot of trial and error.

Secondly, in Wicca (and possibly a few others) a journal is kept. In Wicca you have a general one for a little of everything, commonly called a Book of Shadows, but some may keep an assortment of other Grimoires. Most of my first Grimoire is comprised of useless spells, or those to work with very little effect.

Thirdly, why would I rely on that alone? I know what works and what doesn't. Mostly, symbols are used only to do just that, act as a symbol for a god, an element, etc. during a ritual. It keeps things organized and pays respect to the god, element, etc.

And yeah, those ghost shows don't know what they're doing. Half aren't real, and the ones that are, the investigators are complete idiots. One came on that was doing everything right, they were being smart about their approach, AND THEY DIDNT GET RESULTS EVERY TIME!!! Then it got canceled. After 1 season. I hated that.

3 hours ago, CrystalBloodMoon said:

While this is true, symbols and rituals don't always work. It takes alot of trial and error.

Secondly, in Wicca (and possibly a few others) a journal is kept. In Wicca you have a general one for a little of everything, commonly called a Book of Shadows, but some may keep an assortment of other Grimoires. Most of my first Grimoire is comprised of useless spells, or those to work with very little effect.

Thirdly, why would I rely on that alone? I know what works and what doesn't. Mostly, symbols are used only to do just that, act as a symbol for a god, an element, etc. during a ritual. It keeps things organized and pays respect to the god, element, etc.

And yeah, those ghost shows don't know what they're doing. Half aren't real, and the ones that are, the investigators are complete idiots. One came on that was doing everything right, they were being smart about their approach, AND THEY DIDNT GET RESULTS EVERY TIME!!! Then it got canceled. After 1 season. I hated that.

What is your fondest experience?

I identify as a Pagan but I don't really fall into any particular pantheon.  I'm trying to relearn my Indigenous roots, if that counts?  I feel like I'm grasping around in the dark trying to do so though.

1 minute ago, Goat-kun said:

What convinced you that your spirituality works?

Oh. Well, for one, after deep meditation, I now see the non-physical. That's the biggest clue anyways.

Also, spells I cast, y'know, work. Pretty dead on givaway if you ask me

46 minutes ago, CrystalBloodMoon said:

Oh. Well, for one, after deep meditation, I now see the non-physical. That's the biggest clue anyways.

Also, spells I cast, y'know, work. Pretty dead on givaway if you ask me

You mean the aura? Which layer?

2 hours ago, Goat-kun said:

You mean the aura? Which layer?

Layer? I'm sorry, what?

I meditate and base everything off of my own experiences. If I don't know certain things, I apologize. Please explain what you're asking

1 hour ago, CrystalBloodMoon said:

Layer? I'm sorry, what?

I meditate and base everything off of my own experiences. If I don't know certain things, I apologize. Please explain what you're asking

Astral bodies are like ogres. They have layers. I mean which colors are the predominant ones you can see within the aura? But since we're dealing with meditation it's probably best that you describe your experience with your own words.

1 hour ago, Goat-kun said:

Astral bodies are like ogres. They have layers. I mean which colors are the predominant ones you can see within the aura? But since we're dealing with meditation it's probably best that you describe your experience with your own words.

It's different for everyone, but I find it easier to see blues, indigos, and reds I guess. I don't know about layers, but auric fields always seem to change. It changes the feel of the room almost immediately upon any drastic change to the auric flow

I don't quite get the ogre simile, but I'ma just go with it

• 4 years later...

Atheistic pagan here! While I consider myself a follower of Greek + Norse paganism, I'm currently focusing on the latter, especially as I start to really hunker down on my practice. With that being said I worship Odin, Thor, Bragi, Loki, Fenrir and Freyja. In terms of my actual practice I'm an eclectic revvalist, drawing from multiple sources to find new ways to honor the gods in the modern day.

• 9 months later...

I have quite a unique belief system in that I would consider myself both Pagan and Christian. 

This might sound impossible given that if you look at standard bible it disagrees with much of the pagan belief systems.

However, to put it in the most polite way possible I don't agree that said bible is accurate. 

The short version is you could look at it as I am a pagan who holds God and Christ as the highest levels.

To me God is both an external and internal force of energy. 

Life does not exist as something separate from it instead it exists AS God.

Think of God as human being and us all as cells, gods and goddesses are like the fingers, nervous system etc.

Each must work in unison and Harmony.

If not it will create disaster, pain etc.

Whether I am working with Michael or communicating with my guides in the form of an animal they have chosen, the voice of nature etc.

I learn and grow from whoever ,wherever there is a lesson to be had.