Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Horse racing. Yay or Neigh?

Rarity Paige Belle

I think its a bit bull shity how they are killed when they could be healed, or they could use them to make more of that breed of horse, but instead they shoot them. So im gonna say neigh on this one.

I hate that horses have to be killed even when they lose the race, I know that the racer is very desperate and will do anything to win in any means necessary but you don't have to kill the horse.

Despite living in an area considered to be the headquarters of British horseracing, I never found it interesting. All it really does in my opinion is litter the town with Ladbrokes, Corals, Paddy Powers, and countless other betting shops.

I think its a bit bull shity how they are killed when they could be healed, or they could use them to make more of that breed of horse, but instead they shoot them. So im gonna say neigh on this one.

Is this true? I never realised. Oh my god...

Despite living in an area considered to be the headquarters of British horseracing, I never found it interesting. All it really does in my opinion is litter the town with Ladbrokes, Corals, Paddy Powers, and countless other betting shops.

Is this true? I never realised. Oh my god...

What's it like living in Newmarket? I Bet the amount of leavings you have to avoid must piss you off!

Horse racing is full of bad practices. I've had former racehorses at my barn, and every single one of them has had severe mental and physical issues. To put it simply, they're raced way too young. Horses tend to reach true maturity at 5-7 years, and racehorses are started at 2. By the time they're actually mature they've been damaged by extreme physical and mental stress.

However, there are racehorses who are not treated this way. They are few and far between, and I'm not aware of any that are in the winner circles.

Oh, and the horses that are killed because they are injured? Almost all of them are broken legs or heart failure. Horses have relatively fragile legs due to the way they are structured, and due to their size, weight, and temperament, we haven't developed the technology to be able to build casts that would allow them to heal. You have to actually suspend the horse from a sling for several months to keep them off the leg. It's hard enough to get a person to do that, doing it with a several thousand pound animal that you can't explain the problem to is close to impossible.

That and horse digestion needs the animal to actually move around, or they.... it's hard to explain without getting rather nasty. Since they can't move due to the broken leg... Yeah, that doesn't work.

Edited by Fhaolan
  • Brohoof 1

This is revolting, the grand national takes place near where I live but I didn't know they killed them. That is truly a disguisting and inhumane thing to do, isn't it illegal?

also being a brony has nothing to do with this, I am generally shocked.

At that note zoos and circuses are no better, they use an animal in its prime shape and once city/independent funds can afford healthier younger more visually exciting creatures, animals are put down before reaching the end of their natural life. Not to mention the horrifying conditions and circumstances these animals are forced to undergo during their miserable life in captivity. 

Edited by FlutterZ93

At that note zoos and circuses are no better, they use an animal in its prime shape and once city/independent funds can afford healthier younger more visually exciting creatures, animals are put down before reaching the end of their natural life. Not to mention the horrifying conditions and circumstances these animals are forced to undergo during their miserable life in captivity. 

I came here for hapiness, now I am just shocked, sad and revolted. *searches for happy topics*

What's it like living in Newmarket? I Bet the amount of leavings you have to avoid must piss you off!

I actually live in a village neighbouring Newmarket, although we always go there to do shopping, hang out with friends, etc.

There's actually barely any horses seen on places such as the high street, but since we have special horse paths running through the town, you're likely to see a mess or two along one.

I've never liked horse racing. We have ex-racehorses at our barn, and I thank Celestia every time I see that they're happy and safe. A lot of OTTBs (Off the Track Thoroughbreds) are sent to to slaughtered if they're injured or hurt, and there is a large risk of death for both horse and rider. I've never liked steeplechase, either-horse racing is dangerous enough as is, but with jumps horses are more likely to stumble. Jumps are not meant to be jumped at a gallop. 

They don't kill all the horses that lose, they kill the horses that are lame and can't be treated/used for other riding. Most horses that lose get put up for auction, and possibly they could be slaughtered from there. So if you ever consider buying a horse, OTTBs definitely need a good home. 

OTTBs are also not wanted as riding horses because they canter on only one of their leads (I think it's the right lead, but I'm not 100% positive) but honestly I love all the OTTBs we have at my stable. They're totally sweet, and even if they rush jumps, they're still trying to adjust, and they're totally adorable jumpers. They're all total sweethearts and I wouldn't be the rider I am today without them. 

Edited by Little Lizards

No, the way horse racing is conducted is extremely cruel and inhumane. These horses are raced to the breaking point and injuries are extremely likely and when they happen they are often killed just what kind of life is that?

I think horse racing is horrific.

It's disgusting.

People making animals run to the point of exhaustion just so the rider can get some fame.

The horses aren't treated fairly, either. If they even look the least bit sick, they will probably be put down or sold for slaughter.

Also, I know this has nothing to do with horse racing but it does have to do with horse shows.

For Tennessee Walking Horse shows, the goal is to make the horse raise his feet as high as possible.

To do this, people put chemicals that irritate the legs. So, every time a hoof hits the ground, the horse rises its leg out of excruciating pain.

People find this fun to watch.

Makes me sick.

post-14906-0-73084300-1395186939.jpg

Edited by Samurott77

Yes, horse racing is wrong, very wrong. Many horses are just not meant to work that hard, and their hearts give out as a result of sheer weakness. Honestly, I have not heard of people killing the horses if they lose, but that might very well be true.

I was never a fan of horse racing. Also, I dislike how the horses get physical/mental stress as they're ran at too early of an age. Then they end up being shot sometimes, which I don't like.

If I had a horse, I'd rather just ride It around casually and like be it's friend. I wouldn't want to competitive race and stuff. I've never ridden a horse before. I really should do that sometime.

I find racing shocking. From the fact that the horses are raced far too early, to the number of horses being shot. There was this one ex-racehorse at my stable named Kat. He was an absolute sweetheart and a pleasure to be around. Horse racing is just a waste of perfectly good horses and it makes me sick to think of that he was once on the racing track.