Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ways to improve my Analysis Reviews

GoldenCal

So I've been making videos for about 4 months now. I'm happy about it and will keep making them regardless of the amount of views. Its just that in all that time aside from one video I've had no comments on them. and from the Analytics people are watching a decent amount sometimes all of the video and I really want to know if i'm doing something wrong is my voice I kinda joke about it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3B8qwO0W84

I'm kinda looking for constructive criticism here if you couldn't watch all of this why? and is my video quality not a turn off

I just want to know what I'm doing wrong  

:unsure: Nobody got anything to say on it.

After watching through your video, I could think of a few points for improvement. What I've noticed first is that you titled your video as an "analysis review". This title could potentially be confusing to your audience and dissuade them from watching your video. Something else I noticed, is that your video seems to be much more of a review than an analysis. I would suggest you sticking to one of the two predominantly. If it's a review, explain to your audience why they should or shouldn't watch it, and try to justify your opinions on the episode. If it's an analysis, usually, an easy way to capture people's attention is to choose a certain topic to analyze (eg. A particular character's development, the theme, use of certain lines/sounds/visuals etc.). Something else worth considering for an analysis is whether you plan on doing it from an in-universe or real-world perspective. The difference here is that an in-universe perspective would have you analyzing everything in regards to show canon, character traits, backstory (etc.) whereas a real-world perspective would explain things (especially plot holes and bad storytelling mechanics) from, well, a more realistic point of view. You would be considering things like Hasbro's business strategy and plans in regards to the story, the mindset of the production team when they created this scene (etc.). Of course, you can include both, but it's a good idea to focus more on one of them.

Here's something you may or may not be willing to do: Getting a new microphone. The mic quality right now is pretty low; you have a lot of noise coming through and sound fidelity is overall pretty low. Of course, this has to do with the hardware you're working with and it may not be something you can immediately solve. Something you can work on, however, is scripting and sound editing. I noticed that you liked pausing between sentences to gather your thoughts and find your words. This really breaks up the flow of the video, and can be the reason why some may find it boring. Sound editing can help cut out the unnecessary silence, and scripting can help you deliver your words more quickly and effectively, since previous planning has been applied. Scripting can also benefit you because it allows you to remove a lot of unnecessary info that you may otherwise wind up adding in. Finally, it is important to sound more energetic through the microphone. If you listen to your voice, you may find that you sounded kind of half-asleep. To keep your audience interested, it is important to not only be quick and concise, but to be energetic and to sound genuinely interested in you topic as well. As far as mic quality goes, depending on the situation, the effect on your video can vary. However, it shouldn't be too big a problem in your case, but if you have access to an EQ and noise gate, they may help work out some of the (somewhat) distracting static that you're getting, and to a lesser extent, improve your fidelity a tad bit.

One last thing, it was a good idea to have your OC's expression change to match the implied emotions of your speech. However, for much of the video, that was the only thing going on. You could perhaps make better use of your screen real estate by adding relevant screenshots or videos to the side, and (thought not all that necessary) providing a more varied range of looks/postures for your OC's various emotions (such as a hoof on his chin when looking thoughtful or confused).

Good luck!

Edited by Commander Fresh
  • Brohoof 1

After watching through your video, I could think of a few points for improvement. What I've noticed first is that you titled your video as an "analysis review". This title could potentially be confusing to your audience and dissuade them from watching your video. Something else I noticed, is that your video seems to be much more of a review than an analysis. I would suggest you sticking to one of the two predominantly. If it's a review, explain to your audience why they should or shouldn't watch it, and try to justify your opinions on the episode. If it's an analysis, usually, an easy way to capture people's attention is to choose a certain topic to analyze (eg. A particular character's development, the theme, use of certain lines/sounds/visuals etc.). Something else worth considering for an analysis is whether you plan on doing it from an in-universe or real-world perspective. The difference here is that an in-universe perspective would have you analyzing everything in regards to show canon, character traits, backstory (etc.) whereas a real-world perspective would explain things (especially plot holes and bad storytelling mechanics) from, well, a more realistic point of view. You would be considering things like Hasbro's business strategy and plans in regards to the story, the mindset of the production team when they created this scene (etc.). Of course, you can include both, but it's a good idea to focus more on one of them.

Here's something you may or may not be willing to do: Getting a new microphone. The mic quality right now is pretty low; you have a lot of noise coming through and sound fidelity is overall pretty low. Of course, this has to do with the hardware you're working with and it may not be something you can immediately solve. Something you can work on, however, is scripting and sound editing. I noticed that you liked pausing between sentences to gather your thoughts and find your words. This really breaks up the flow of the video, and can be the reason why some may find it boring. Sound editing can help cut out the unnecessary silence, and scripting can help you deliver your words more quickly and effectively, since previous planning has been applied. Scripting can also benefit you because it allows you to remove a lot of unnecessary info that you may otherwise wind up adding in. Finally, it is important to sound more energetic through the microphone. If you listen to your voice, you may find that you sounded kind of half-asleep. To keep your audience interested, it is important to not only be quick and concise, but to be energetic and to sound genuinely interested in you topic as well. As far as mic quality goes, depending on the situation, the effect on your video can vary. However, it shouldn't be too big a problem in your case, but if you have access to an EQ and noise gate, they may help work out some of the (somewhat) distracting static that you're getting, and to a lesser extent, improve your fidelity a tad bit.

One last thing, it was a good idea to have your OC's expression change to match the implied emotions of your speech. However, for much of the video, that was the only thing going on. You could perhaps make better use of your screen real estate by adding relevant screenshots or videos to the side, and (thought not all that necessary) providing a more varied range of looks/postures for your OC's various emotions (such as a hoof on his chin when looking thoughtful or confused).

Good luck!

Thanks I'll keep that in mind when making my videos I've just ordered a new mic so my voice clarity issue should be solved and am looking at focusing more on sounding more energetic and scripting thanks for your opinions I really appreciate them

No worries. I'd like to add one last thing, try doing multiple takes of the same part. Even if you nail it the first time, those extra takes may sound better to you, or may give you more material to work with for whatever reason in the future. Or you may just like the way you said a word in one take, and the way you said a different word in another take, and you wanted to combine those two bits in post production for the best sentence in the world.

Either way, glad I could help!

Broad recommendation: decide upon a niche in your overall approach to analysis. That is, make your presentations unique, compared to other more-famous reviewers like Tommy Oliver. This will help you stand out. Just don't be too gimmicky about it.

Edited by NLR Information Minister

Watch the episode at least twice.

Make a script.

Practice the script before you make the video.

Relax, keep calm, and don't forget to show emotion!

Give your thoughts, but don't be biase