Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Was King Sombra always evil?

Rarity Paige Belle

See, A REALLY LONG TIME AGO, he wanted to get together with a cute Unicorn. Then he discovered that he had a really bad incurable case of "Dying painfully everytime the crystal faire happens." Additionally, he learned that Celestia and luna were going to take this hot filly away from him forever to make her a princess.
So the combination of being cock blocked and getting cranky once every year drove him to try and release his ugly, deformed looking family members from prison.

1012363__suggestive_comic_edit_idw_king+

• Brohoof 1

Depends on whether you consider the comics canon or not. I liked the direction they were taking the character in the comics, despite the shitty ending to the Siege of the Crystal Empire leaving a bad taste in my mouth

Depends on whether you consider the comics canon or not. I liked the direction they were taking the character in the comics, despite the shitty ending to the Siege of the Crystal Empire leaving a bad taste in my mouth

Really would have been so much better if they'd had sombra complete that heroic sacrifice and ACTUALLY have bought it :/

Kind of ruined the moment with it being so sappy and deus ex machina happy. (Actually would have kind of liked BOTH sombra and hoped to have died activating the heart for a nice end to the two of them's arc.)

• Brohoof 1

There is no indication that Celestia and Sombra had a thing for each other the comics aren't canon. So far King Sombra having pony slaves and then being imprisoned in an icy tomb is as far as his back story goes.

The problem with determining best pony as such is that when it comes to A-canon, then we only have so much to go off of. "A unicorn whose heart was black as night" is really all we're given as far as a backstory is concerned. However, I do believe that the show hints towards the B-canon comics in one specific instance where we see in Cutie Remark Sombra does not have a cutie mark. In FIENDship is Magic #1 we see that he has no cutie-mark at all; possibly a sign of umbrum heritage.

Of course it could be anything, but as changelings don't have cutie marks and nether do the umbrum in the comics; then it is possible that the umbrum lineage could be seen as canon.

In any case the comics don't have to be seen as canon so it's up in the air. My official head canon accepts FIENDship #1 as his actual backstory, even though I don't count Siege of the Crystal Empire due to an element or two that conflicts with the show. In any case before FIENDship my head canon was that he was essentially similar to Twilight, but was mentored by Grogar and became his top lieutenant; similar to Morgoth and Sauron from LotR.