Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Forum Idea: International Forums

~*bacon princess*~

i'm pretty sure that not everybody on mlpf is fully english speaking, so why don't we have an international board? people from all over the world can make threads in the board so that people who are fluent in certain languages/have that languages' country as their background can talk with people fromthat same place.

what do you think?

• Brohoof 5

i'm pretty sure that not everybody on mlpf is fully english speaking, so why don't we have an international board? people from all over the world can make threads in the board so that people who are fluent in certain languages/have that languages' country as their background can talk with people fromthat same place. what do you think?

I think that'd be an interesting idea. I'd assume that the staff or whoever is in charge of this project would need to figure out the majority countries first, then perhaps make subforums for the most spoken languages (besides English)? 

Hey there @, the reason we don't already allow full posting in other languages is due to the fact that our moderators can't moderate what the can't read. So while allowing an international board to come into existence may be a cool idea, we'd have no way of enforcing site rules.

It could get real messy, real quick if we aren't able to read whats said.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Hey there @, the reason we don't already allow full posting in other languages is due to the fact that our moderators can't moderate what the can't read. So while allowing an international board to come into existence may be a cool idea, we'd have no way of enforcing site rules.

It could get real messy, real quick if we aren't able to read whats said.

Or you could, you know, hire moderators that speak both English and other common languages.

Edited by Harmonic Revelations
  • Brohoof 2

Or you could, you know, hire moderators that speak both English and other common languages.

Because we can...you know...find people who are able to be a moderator and speak many different languages at the flip of a coin :P

It's not as easy as you think. Should we have that happen then it would be more viable to have an international forum, but as of right now, its not.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Because we can...you know...find people who are able to be a moderator and speak many different languages at the flip of a coin :P

It's not as easy as you think. Should we have that happen then it would be more viable to have an international forum, but as of right now, its not.

But there are tons of people here on the forums who speak second languages. It's only as complicated as being willing to look for them. I could name quite a few off the top of my head.

Edited by Harmonic Revelations

But there are tons of people here on the forums who speak second languages. It's only as complicated as being willing to look for them. I could name quite a few off the top of my head.

Of course there are, thats not whats being questioned. Its just that at the moment we don't need any more moderators. In the future its definitely something to look at though. Im all for an international forum once we have some good international moderator candidates.

Of course there are, thats not whats being questioned. Its just that at the moment we don't need any more moderators. In the future its definitely something to look at though. Im all for an international forum once we have some good international moderator candidates.

But that's exactly the point. If you were going to make an international forum, you would start needing more moderators. Your argument is kind of strange, because you're saying "Your project would make us need more moderators, but we don't need more moderators at the moment so we can't do it.". That would introduce the need.

The only thing the staff needs to do is take the initiative. 

• Brohoof 1

The only thing the staff needs to do is take the initiative. 

Which we have been doing. This isn't something decided on the spot. It requires discussion, which is exactly what it will get. Im only saying whats been said before about all of this.

Thats all I have to say on the matter.

IE: I agree with the idea, I just dont see it happening any time soon.

• 2 months later...

The mods are volunteers, and i for one feel it would be silly to "hire" a mod who can speak different languages, if you think about it. 

OT: Personally, as much as its a cool idea, i don't even have that, b/c indeed mods would not understand the language.  Hell, i've had clients on forums, i've administrated, and posted in a foreign language (i speak up to 7), but its better to leave it as a standard forum written in the English language. 

I would love for something like this to be possible, but the unfortunate fact of the matter is that we cannot moderate what we cannot read. It's hard enough to find people who are suited to a moderation position without needing them to be bilingual as well. Not to mention the fact that we'd probably want 4-5 dedicated moderators for a section like that, since they'd pretty much be the only ones who could deal with it.

Finding 4-5 people who are sufficiently bilingual and who are also suited for a moderation position just isn't feasible, as we'd need all of them to be able to deal with everything in the section. Expecting one moderator to deal with all the Spanish posts and another moderator to deal with all the French posts would put far too much a burden on them, and would likely burn them out pretty quickly.

I will keep an open mind, though. I love this idea, and the only reason why I'm not supporting it is this moderation issue. If I or anyone else ever figures out a way to solve it reasonably, I'd be happy to put this idea in motion if all that which is needed to come to fruition beforehand does so.