Why do so many of you dislike gens 3 and 3.5 of MLP?

Rarity Paige Belle

Only gen 1 and gen 4 are good. g3 and g3.5 are ugly. BECAUSE ITS UGLY.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zIpSLKRCWs this is what you like

Didn't expect to see the UKIP logo on MLP forums, that's AEWSOME!! :) 

(sorry for going off topic)

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Yes, I highly recommend G1, it is not perfect but for what it was and the time it was damn good. Tirek threatened to decapitate Spike twice, Grogar nearly sent Ponyland (that universes equivalent of Equestria) to their equivalent of hell and the Smooze was an abomination created by witches using dark magic that consumed everything in its path.

Is there a good starting point for G1 you'd recommend?

Edit: Sorry about not quoting right... Was trying to quote only the last bit and deleted too much. On my phone at lunch break for work. Sorry.

Edited by JLmle

Didn't expect to see the UKIP logo on MLP forums, that's AEWSOME!! :) 

(sorry for going off topic)

are you actually being serious.

For me, I just don't prefer the older style more "girly" art style used in the old gens, also the ponies in the older gens seem just a bit TO girly for my taste, not hating on it for people that do like it, but the older gens are just not my thing.

(edited)

I felt like you were sort of kinda making fun of me.

Nope

Please don't tell me you're a UKIPper!

Ok then I wont :) (not really wanting to discuss my political views on MLP forums)

Edited by Asherdangerdash

(edited)

For those like me, who has seen some of all generations, G3 and 3.5 get so much hate for the following reasons:

• The plot lines are terrible; granted, they are for little girls, but they feel like the episodes were written BY little girls.
  • Spike got more annoying as the generations went on; he's more tolerable in G4.
  • The animation is so bad that it makes me weep.
  • There are a lot of jokes in the new series that have a wide range of style, subject matter, and maturity level; much of the G3 and 3.5 stuff has a little humor, but it's all weak humor.
  • The new show is far more gender neutral and age neutral; the previous stuff was clearly meant for young girls, wanting to shove princess pride and "Oh, so pretty" mentalities.
Edited by Washougal_Otaku
  • Brohoof 2

The biggest reason is due to its sexist nature, whereas the G4 MLP is gender-neutral. Some bronies are fond of G1 MLP due to it having some kind of creativity (eg: Seaponies) and pretty cool villains (TIREK!!!). G2 to 3.5 was where it ALL went wrong, such as the lack of individuality of characters, the negligence of storylines, and Gen 3.5 Rainbow Dash being the worst character in the MLP franchise ever.

• Brohoof 2

I remember having to watch gen 3 and 3.5 when i baby sat my cousin back in like 2009 and she wanted to watch them and I mean im not going to say no. So we watched a few of them and honestly it was the most brain numbing stereotypical dribble that leads little girls down the path of everyone is a princess and it all works out in the end. There were no lessons to be learned no conflict to overcome just a load of Be cute and it will work itself out. I actually talked to my aunt about it later and she agreed. It was the same non sense that a lot of the learning shows are going threw now. Instead of asking the kids a question and letting them think about it and try to figure it out they just repetitively grind it into their heads and teaches them repetition at best. 

Same goes for a lot of cartoons focused towards little boys like that rescue squad show, manliness manliness manliness someone is caught in a burning building nothing a bit of manliness cant fix. I dont know maybe im jaded because the cartoons and shows i grew up with tho sometimes could lead a story of absolute non sense they did have shows that taught a kid to overcome fears and trials to strengthen themselves. Thats why I like gen 4 so much because it teaches these things and feels more like a show i would watch as a kid myself. 

• Brohoof 1

• 7 years later...
On 2014-05-19 at 1:05 PM, Scootaloodle said:

I don’t think G3 is all that bad: I don’t think it has anything in there for adults so I don't watch it, I think some bronys forget. It was supposed to be made for little girls and not adults so obviously they aren't going to like it (not that I mean that nasty btw), if the intended age group like G3 and all then I don’t see a problem :)

Exactly.

I have a soft spot for Generation 3. The designs leave a lot to be desired, but there's nothing inherently wrong with the content itself.

• 2 years later...

I found the MLP G3 and G3.5 cartoons to be pretty boring in my opinion, I remember watching them out of curiosity to see if I would like them and it just wasn't satisfying to me. I guess I was too old to appreciate G3 by the time I gained an interest in MLP.

• 2 months later...
(edited)

I do not dislike G3. I understand why many fans of G4 do dislike it. Some people have good reasons to dislike G3. I would like G3 fans to take some of these fair criticisms on board, and I would like more G4 fans to understand how much G4 owes to G3.

Ethan Toavs is a G3 fan who is inspired by the toys and feel of G3 to make great music.

Edited by Octavian Melody
  • Brohoof 2

it's not G3 or G3.5 per se. The bit I disliked was the weird webcast that took place right before G4 called 'Newborn Cuties'. It usually gets lumped in with G3.5, but really isn't part of that continuity.

Not that G3.x had a great deal of continuity, as that was a generation when they were constantly revising the characters, the setting, the art-style as they went along. That was just the nature of that particular generation of animations as it was more heavily tied to the product line than the others.

• Brohoof 3

• 3 weeks later...

I have never watched it. By the time G3 was popular I thought it was way too girly to watch. To be honest I never gave it a try. I know many people hate it but isn't it this situation when you hate something because everybody hates it? (take poor spider for instance :c). Mainstream :zipp-wut:

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

(dont come after me this is just my opinion)i love all gens. my favorites are 1 and 4.(esp gen 1 the designs are super cute) funny enough, i think the gen 4 designs can look ugly at times(especially when theyre facing forward lol- it looks like they have human faces at times!)

honestly some modern mlp fans cant be satisfied with certain things and hate ANYTHING mlp related that isnt gen 4(although if theyres one thing i can agree with *those* fan is that gen 5 is a hot mess. but  its a beautiful hot mess.) i personally like gen 3 as it has a more realistic look to the ponies and i find that interesting.

it may have not been as impactful as gen 4 but my little pony is supposed to be a little girl's show anyways to sell toys. a consistent plot and deep storyline with developing characters wasnt on the front of their mind. even with gen 4, its all to sell toys & merch(and we all fell for it lmao). so i couldnt give a care less if it has a plot or just a cute pony show. i enjoy it and wouldnt have it any other way

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...
(edited)

I actually really like G3 alongside all the older generations (both toys and show), it's really nostalgic for me and is more of a peaceful show. Obviously there's not as much adventure as other generations, but honestly when I just want something simple and relaxed to put on in the background, it's perfect. I know a lot of people think G3 is ugly but...I actually think the ponies are still adorable. As for G3.5, I don't enjoy it as much just because it seems to skew towards a lot younger audience. There's nothing wrong with that, and I'm sure I would have enjoyed watching it as a little kid, but as a teen I just don't find the same enjoyment for it (although I do still think some of the designs are cute).

I think G3 and G3.5 might be really hated because people go into it with similar expectations to G4, and that's just not what those generations are. That's not to say that those people are wrong though, everybody has their own preferences when it comes to shows and art styles.

Starcatcher.webp.5b4984a1a3c088c1bf1d245d09e781b0.webp

but i dunno...how could anyone hate that face??:fluttershy:

Edited by OverTheStars
  • Brohoof 3
  • Delighted Giggle 1