Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do so many of you dislike gens 3 and 3.5 of MLP?

Rarity Paige Belle

I never liked my little pony until this gen, because the designs were creepy as heck.  I remember when i was little and commercials would come on, their faces would scare me.

• Brohoof 2

The character designs make them look like extra terrestrials, for starters :D

rarity_g4_meets_rarity_of_g3_by_waterspr

Rarity is NOT pleased.

Also, the show itself is the epitome of a toy commercial - whilst FiM could be called the same thing, the writers do a lot to maintain quality. The previous gens, however, were there solely for the toys, which is NOT fabulous.

• Brohoof 8

I never liked my little pony until this gen, because the designs were creepy as heck.  I remember when i was little and commercials would come on, their faces would scare me.

First time I saw G1 as a little girl (probably 6 or 7) I literally had nightmares

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Alright, here are my problems with gen 3/3.5 :

There is no conflict, even if there are "antagonist" they aren't really even evil, nonetheless bad! It's like telling your kids "Nothing bad ever happens, everything is just sugar coated sunshine, and happiness!" Mario Sunshine has Sunshine in the title, and it isn't nearly as innocent!

The lessons aren't even necessary to teach children. There aren't really any good lessons, and all of the things they do "teach" you can just learn from Friendship is Magic. Infact FIM teaches lessons even adults can find helpful!

The dialogue and music is dreadful! It seems the writers just gave up! You know, the best kid shows, are written for the WRITERS enjoyment, not what they THINK what small children like. And the music, isn't even catchy, have you heard Pinkie Pie's singing in gen 3?

And don't even get me started on the designs. "Who needs color pallets? Just give them rainbow hair! Even though that should be RAINBOW DASH exclusive."

Point, made.

Edited by Rupee Rarity
  • Brohoof 1

I've just started watching G3.5 with my daughter, and I just don't get the 'hate' in the fandom! Sure it's not on the level of FiM but for kids my daughters age its perfect viewing. In fact I prefer her to watch G3 to FiM!

I will answer that question with this series of questions and following answer.

Q: How many books can a human read in his/her lifetime?

Q: How many movies can a human read in his/her lifetime?

Q: How many games can a human play in his/her lifetime?

Q: How many places can a human visit in his/her lifetime?

Q: How many hours can a human spend with his/her family?

Q: How many conversations can be had in a lifetime?

Q. How many hours can a human sit and contemplate his/her world?

I have a little over 40 years, God willing, to enjoy what I can in this world. I will pick and choose as I decide. Things will not make the list.

Enough people have said G3/G3.5 wasn't worth it. I'm not wasting a walk for that.

I will answer that question with this series of questions and following answer.

Q: How many books can a human read in his/her lifetime?

Q: How many movies can a human read in his/her lifetime?

Q: How many games can a human play in his/her lifetime?

Q: How many places can a human visit in his/her lifetime?

Q: How many hours can a human spend with his/her family?

Q: How many conversations can be had in a lifetime?

Q. How many hours can a human sit and contemplate his/her world?

I have a little over 40 years, God willing, to enjoy what I can in this world. I will pick and choose as I decide. Things will not make the list.

Enough people have said G3/G3.5 wasn't worth it. I'm not wasting a walk for that.

It's worth it just to hear G3 Rainbow dash speak like Rarity! She does Rarity better than Rarity!

• Brohoof 2

Honestly, I see nothing wrong with G3, but you don't mind G3.5? It's freakin evil, man! Yes, I did give it a chance. And yes, it should be burned in dæmon-fire. There is no story whatsoever, and rainbow dash was... what was she?!

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I don’t think G3 is all that bad: I don’t think it has anything in there for adults so I don't watch it, I think some bronys forget. It was supposed to be made for little girls and not adults so obviously they aren't going to like it (not that I mean that nasty btw), if the intended age group like G3 and all then I don’t see a problem :)

Edited by Asherdangerdash
  • Brohoof 2

Hmm... I think that the other Generations of MLP are just too... well... unappealing for most of the fans of MLP: FiM. I don't know, it just lacks the charm and some of the elements that makes FiM a great show. 

It is not my cup of tea, and I'd rather forget about it to be honest. In all seriousness though, MLP was targeted at little girls and before this current generation, older fans were most unheard of. I already struggled with great confusion when I first started watching FiM as it is.

• Brohoof 1

Characters are flat and poorly written and they all assume that the viewer is an idiot. That's about it.

It being for young kids doesn't excuse the fact that it's not very good. Disney films, Miyazaki movies, most Pixar movies, FIM- just because a shows core audience is kids doesn't mean it shouldn't be made with great care.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

i find people who hate it funny most don't give it a chance others just hate it after 5 minuites

I must admit, this thread piqued my curiosity... I just checked out a little bit of G3... Didn't think it was that bad. As an adult I can't say I enjoyed it nearly as much as G4; but then again; it wasn't targeted at me. In fact I may check out more of it as we wait for season 5; call it "History Lessons."

It's worth it just to hear G3 Rainbow dash speak like Rarity! She does Rarity better than Rarity!

Darling, concerning Rainbow Dash's Rarity impression; I'm going to have to disagree. G4 Rarity is a wonderful character with style and poise, but G3 Rainbow Dash was my biggest complaint in what I saw... Seriously darling, how many times can you say "darling",in one sentence darling? Edited by JLmle
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

Only gen 1 and gen 4 are good. g3 and g3.5 are ugly. BECAUSE ITS UGLY.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zIpSLKRCWs this is what you like

Edited by Shanghai
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

The characters look creepy, are so ridiculously saccharine and stereotypically dumbed down that I can't take anymore than 5 seconds of it if that. There is a big difference between a "childrens show" and something that just flat out scrapes the bottom of the barrel, why do people accept it as okay to dumb something down just because it is "for kids"? It seems like with IQ's plummeting and all round idiocy becoming the norm that bringing standards up should become all the more important.

On 2014-05-20 at 5:52 AM, Rarity Paige Belle said:

If by bastardized Rarity than yes she does a good Rarity and she even has a face even a crow bar can love.

On 2014-05-21 at 12:44 AM, JLmle said:

Ooh. I'll have to check that out too then!

Yes, I highly recommend G1, it is not perfect but for what it was and the time it was damn good. Tirek threatened to decapitate Spike twice, Grogar nearly sent Ponyland (that universes equivalent of Equestria) to their equivalent of hell and the Smooze was an abomination created by witches using dark magic that consumed everything in its path.

Edited by Cash In
Removed image.
  • Brohoof 3

Well I admit that I'm not the biggest fan of it. My eyes really notice details, so the fact that it's so over exposed in colors really did bother me. And it just didn't seem to be a show I would want to watch much anyways. Of course I'm judging bassed off of only watching 1 episode from G3, and one episode from G3.5, so perhaps I've been mislead.

But I think a big problem as to why so many hate it, is the exact same principle as to why racism exists. Because so many people say it's a bad thing, and you should hate it that when you see it, even if you originally would not think of it as being bad, you have the mind set now that it is bad, and therefore you will say it's bad rather you think so or not, because you no longer do think. You just have been conditioned into believing something that is completely rediculous in the first place.

The reason why Gens 3 and 3.5 got so much hate was due to the fact of how shallow everything was. There wasn't really any conflicts in the plots and almost all of the ponies had that same fail of an English accent voice. Also, take a look at the society. It was completely utopian and unrealistic. I give credit to Gen 2 for not making this mistake. Gen. 3 on the other hand...giphy.gif

Take a good look at the Gen 3 movie: Princess Promenade. One of the ponies finds a flower that turns her into a princess. She's happy with this for the first part of the movie but soon finds out that she's above all of her friends. Distraught and a little sad that she rules her friends.......she decides to turn all of them into Princesses as well... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k35aKeaKco  After one whole freaking hour...it all comes to that? 

This is why I don't like Gen 3. It simply fails to adress the real things that girls need to learn. Oh sure at a young age, girls dream of being a princess, but it isn't every girl's dream.

So in summary Gen 3 hardly offers any substantial stuff that we can apply to real life.   

• Brohoof 4

(edited)
I give credit to Gen 2 for not making this mistake.

Although Tales has a completely different art style compared to the original generation, Tales is officially G1. Agree with pretty much everything else, however.

G3 and G3.5 get widely hated because they DESERVE to be hated. Both G3 and G3.5 are factually bad for several reasons:

1. The conflicts are very shallow.
  2. The characters are flat notes.
  3. Writing? There's a difference between writing and plastering stuff on screen. Hell, G3 doesn't even respect its own continuity and wants you to like it.
  4. Some of the morals are hammered in at the last minute or create unfortunate implications.
  5. As far as G3.5 is concerned, the animation is horrid.
  6. The effort altogether is LAZY and treats the demographics they're talking to (five-year-old girls and their guardians) like shit. Those on here who think FIM should be watched with their brains turned off should watch an episode from G3 or G3.5, because that sorry excuse is used in practice here.

FIM may be a moving commercial at times, but for the most part, they at least put a certain amount of effort (EQG notwithstanding). G3 and G3.5 are blatant toy commercials, and their writers don't care beyond their paycheck.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 5

Although Tales has a completely different art style compared to the original generation, Tales is officially G1. Agree with pretty much everything else, however.

G3 and G3.5 get widely hated because they DESERVE to be hated. Both G3 and G3.5 are factually bad for several reasons:

1. The conflicts are very shallow.
  2. The characters are flat notes.
  3. Writing? There's a difference between writing and plastering stuff on screen. Hell, G3 doesn't even respect its own continuity and wants you to like it.
  4. Some of the morals are hammered in at the last minute or create unfortunate implications.
  5. As far as G3.5 is concerned, the animation is horrid.
  6. The effort altogether is LAZY and treats the demographics they're talking to (five-year-old girls and their guardians) like shit. Those on here who thinks FIM should be watched with their brains turned off should watch an episode from G3 or G3.5, because that sorry excuse is used in practice here.

FIM may be a moving commercial at times, but for the most part, they at least put a certain amount of effort (EQG notwithstanding). G3 and G3.5 are blatant toy commercials, and their writers don't care beyond their paycheck.

You pretty much nailed it all here. 

• Brohoof 1