Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

fan fiction Deus Ex: Pony Revolution (looking for suggestions and comments)

Firestorm

So I'm not the best writer but I've longed to write a Deus Ex fanfic for a while now since I'm a fan of it since the first game came out. I welcome ideas and comments because I plan to post this EqD and I'm gonna make this fic a success. Cookies for whoever gives the best plot idea (because I sill have no idea on the plot). This fic is not complete yet and there are mistakes in it.

Opening

The year is 3027.

It’s a time of great innovation and technological advancement. It’s also a time of chaos and conspiracy. What began as a breakthrough in implants and advanced prosthetic limbs has turned into one of the biggest economical sources in the world. Anypony and everypony, as long they have the money, can have their bodies surgically augmented to gain the upper hoof in almost every aspect in life. In a time of great change, almost everypony has a neural implant or a bionic leg to help them in their everyday life. Corporations that make business out of manufacturing and distributing these augmentations are taking political power from traditional governments, matching, if not better than them.

With great change to the social order comes great danger too. Equestria, for example, has experienced great chaos in the wake of the waves of change. The augmentations made even the weakest pony a powerful force to reckon with. Emboldened by the power given unto them, the ponies seek a change in governance too. Equestria has long been under the rule and guidance of Princess Celestia and Princess Luna. They advocated augmentations and saw it as a way to promote peace and harmony. However, none saw what came next. What started as a simple request to make a change in governance turned into a bloody civil war that saw Princess Celestia’s abdication of the throne. In just three years, the Principality of Equestria became the Federal Republic of Equestria. However, the new government was nothing more than a marionette and façade. True political power was within megacorporations the likes of Sparkle Industries and Neighpon MediCorp.

Ponykind has strived to raise itself, to be more than what they are, to take control of their own future.

The corporations delivered them into a future that seemed too good to be true and only a few realized that such a dream of transcendence only led to decline and the possible loss of what defined ponykind: Friendship and Harmony.

Deus Ex: Pony Revolution

“What defines us is a stepping stone to what we can become”

Ambrosia Vale

Introduction

It’s utter madness.

We shouldn’t be afraid of change but we’re afraid of it. Why? Because of bad decision-making by those who hold power. The winds of change blow all the time, switching directions that may lead to a path that is better or for worse. I must’ve hopped in at the wrong time because the way I see it, things have gone south in Equestria. Decades ago, my parents lived in a country known for two benevolent princesses and a way of life guided by two simple principles. Everything was great until ponykind made a breakthrough in augmentation technology.

Some call it a blessing, some call it curse. It depends on how one sees it. In reality though, it’s a double-edged sword that cuts both ways. Can we dull one side of the blade and leave the other sharp? I doubt it. Augmentations are not good or evil by nature. It’s lifeless, incapable of doing things until attached to somepony. If in good hooves, augmentations can do wonders but in the hooves of knaves, thieves and unscrupulous politicians, they can make life living hell.

I’m not really the right pony to be answering your questions regarding your purviews of the evils of augmentation. To be frank, all this time, I’ve been rather neutral about that subject. Why am I augmented then? I never asked for this. My body was augmented only because it was necessary in preserving my life. Even after experiencing them, I must admit that I’m still ambiguous in my stance. A long time ago, our Cutie Marks determined what we’re really good at. I don’t really call it destiny but a guide. With the advent of augmentations, some ponies became good at almost everything that their marks meant nothing to them anymore. They sacrifice who they are to become what they’re not meant to be. Like a light bulb exposed to too much electricity, they burned like a star before being snuffed out from existence. A meaningless death resulted from meaningless pursues of ascendance and perfection. Many who pursued such futures usually end up dead.

I’m at it again, aren’t I? Lecturing others about subjects I don’t really give a flying buck. Perhaps my “misadventures” with conspiracies and the whole “controlling the world” business has gotten into my head more than I’ve anticipated. I’ve been involved in uncovering some rather sinister plots by some powerful individuals and organizations. There’s nothing really to be proud of and I don’t think I’ve done the world much of a favor. The news you see on TV…not all are the truth. I’m sure you know that too but how much of that is true and how much of that is false? At the end of the day, it’s there to keep the balance of public opinions.

I’m not some detective, at least career-wise. Used to be chief of security at Sparkle Industries. Go figure huh. How’d a pegasus with no initial knowledge of using a weapon end up being chief of security in one of Equestria’s top biotech corporations? Luck I suppose. Oh, before I forget, lemme introduce myself. I’m Velvet Wings…though my wings aren’t exactly velvet in color. Wings is my family name and Velvet is a rather common name for mares. Funny that I shared the same name with the owner of The Crop and the crush of some bunker-born unicorn…

Anyway, seeing that you’re still interested in a story from me, let me tell you what happened.