Emoticon Suggestions, Thoughts, and Feedback

MyLittleNeckbeard

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Who decided that every emoji need to be bold?

So many suggestions here require so much more to "work".

Also, G5 ponies bold just don't work at all.

On 2022-10-08 at 2:42 PM, Splashee said:

Who decided that every emoji need to be bold?

I’m not sure what you mean by ‘bold’. Can you clarify that for me? 

2 minutes ago, Splashee said:

:eager: <- They don't have any hair

Oh bald! 

It was a decision made when the forum started over 11 years ago using the stock emoji as a template, and it’s one that was kept over the years to preserve a cohesive look across the design. I use the reactions to show a more complete image. I’ll be constantly rotating reactions from here on themed for events. 

I’m not going to change emoji already in place because that opens up a change for emoji breaking, and some staff in the past did that which is why you occasionally see

:emoji: 

More importantly to me is that many of the past emoji have an emotional connection to them from users who had ‘won’ them, or had a staff member create them for a user as a surprise. 

• Brohoof 2

4 hours ago, Props ValRoa said:

@Jeric

I am glad that the "laugh" reaction was removed due to it's misusage in the debate pit. 

But now posting memes is sad. :P 

4 hours ago, Splashee said:

:eager: <- They don't have any hair

Oooh I've been also wondering what bold meant. :P 

Well, to add to what Jeric said, in my opinion, design-wise, these bald emojis are more expressive in such small dimensions. A perfect example are reactions, that often confuse members, because it's sometimes hard to "see" what they actually mean.

For example, take this Starlight emoji with mane:

image.png.48c4371ff8ca2537e72fd854f92ceb0b.png

In 32x32 pixels it's kinda... 

1vidur.jpg

By editing out the mane and focusing on the face itself, the emojis are much clearer.

Or another scenario, seeing emojis like this:

image.png.40e6548ee6d90cd653216ceb7534f793.png

It's not bad per se, but the square-y look feels a little bit... cheap perhaps? And different emojis can have such sharp edges on different sides making a set of these look a bit random and messy.

All emojis being bald and formatted equally create a unique, very characteristic set of emojis, that nicely work with each other. And since there are so many emojis in that particular style already in place, adding some "different" ones would ruin the effect and the very first impression would be that these are out of place, so to speak.

If you'd see these round emojis somewhere, you'd probably instantly think about MLP Forums, because that's how unique and characteristic these emojis are, and that's the nice thing worth keeping. :darling:

• Brohoof 1

• 3 months later...

On 2022-10-18 at 5:32 PM, Splashee said:

We are currently really missing a hug reaction.

hugs.png.1013279d2c1f181389287ef0e59fcb88.pngR7.png.97ce7dfcaef53428827f953e743731b6.png

image.png

"I have found a flaw in the model that I perceive is the critical functioning structure of the forum that defines how the world works.... so to speak." ~ Alan Greenspan

On 2023-01-26 at 2:53 AM, abrony-mouse said:

image.png

"I have found a flaw in the model that I perceive is the critical functioning structure of the forum that defines how the world works.... so to speak." ~ Alan Greenspan

Nah. It’s working. ;)

We don’t have a hug emoji. Emojis are usually emotions expressed on face. Reactions are their own system. 

@Rikifive has an appropriate image for Twilight’s face hugging itself. 

• Brohoof 1

On 2023-01-26 at 8:53 AM, abrony-mouse said:

image.png

I have been looking all over the place for those hug reaction images. You see, when they aren't in the reaction list, you can still use the images if you remember the URL for them. And hugging is often needed. I'm going to go and hug @Tropical Melody right now :fluttershy:, though he often need the pondering reaction (which I didn't save the URL for :unamused:).

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

one seasonal reaction emoticon.

these leaves should become a snowball in winter :3

large.jpg

then a spring flower

Posey.webp.832d6b9086f94d3f02c20dce8a17b26c.webp

then a blazing sun

Sunny_daze_tess.thumb.webp.2f28995d51bfc07c63c611d45ff66077.webp

then back to leaves

large.jpg

ponies for pony purposes only (emoticons do not need to be ponies)

• 3 months later...