Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP For Young Adults

Kings&Hooves14

(edited)

Obviously this will never happen, but how would you feel if Hasbro produced a version of MLP (starring the current generation of ponies) targeted towards a more mature audience (16-20 years old)? Just curious.

As long as the characters were still just as lovable, I would love it! It could still focus on friendship, covering the challenges young adults face that children do not.

Edit: Oops...I just realized there is a similar topic started by Digit in the Show Discussion section. Sorry.

Edited by Kings&Hooves14
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I guess you mean about the toys, cause in the show there are ponies of all age groups doing all kinds of things, working in almost everything, acting even with the least-thought behaviours and saying what ponies in previous generations would have never ever said.

I don't deny seeing MLP toys that could be more than just four-legged Barbies would be cool, you know, something like an RC Rainbow Dash that you could fly inside home or outside, or a Nerf-styled Twilight that shoots foam ammo like this:

mlfw3865-tumblr_m1d1twmdvK1r6syygo1_500.

Edited by RainbowMau
  • Brohoof 1

I'm perfectly happy with the show as it is, tbh, and I would fear that targeting that particular age group would turn it into some exceedingly lame relationship drama, with gossiping and melodrama galore.  OR they'd turn it into My Little Pony Ball Z. xD

"Toys," though??  I want want want want want a really high quality, almost statue-esque Rainbow Dash.  Something awesome, something with a justifiable price, something smexy.  WANT.

(edited)

I think if Hasbro created something *intentionally* aimed at the young adult demographic, there's a good chance it would be terrible like PegaMister said.  And hell, their last attempt at creating something for little girls (by which I mean generation 3) didn't seem to turn out too well either.

Basically I'm skeptical of Hasbro's ability to produce anything truly worthwhile if they try to force or take direct control* of the franchise.

*My understanding was they basically let Lauren Faust rebuild MLP from the ground up and then picked off the parts they didn't want.

EDIT: OH, AND EQUESTRIA GIRLS.  There's that too.

Edited by Glitterheart

(edited)

I meant a TV show geared at young adults, not a line of toys. Sorry...I should have been more clear. :blush:

I agree PegaMister and Glitterheart--if Hasbro really did produce a series for a more mature audience, they would most likely ruin the franchise.

Let me reformat my question:  If the writers of MLP: FiM were allowed to take the show in a more mature direction, what would you want to see?

Edited by Kings&Hooves14

(edited)

Forcing maturity into a show is a surefire way to screw it up indefinitely. It will ruin all sense of balance the writing may have had, it will alienate too much of the audience and it would be done with nothing but cash grabbing in mind. It's a bad idea and it should never happen. There is a very, very low chance that it would be any good and it would still push away a large portion of not only the fanbase but also all the children and parents who watched MLP and bought the toys. It would be marketing hell.

Edited by Discordian

Well the comics are a lot more mature than the show if that is what you want (the standard comic arc, friends forever seems to run like the show, but the micros are good). The comics do a lot more "older" references and jokes, and often get a lot darker. But sadly, because MLP has been compounded for 30 years as a childrens show, and the fact that it exists to sell toys, the show will remain for children.

It would be pretty cool if they made maybe mini episodes for bronies that have a few mature jokes here and there. Maybe there could be a parody of a few animes or something that had a bunch of ponies stuck in a game that's controlled by Discord.. And if they die in the game they die in real life.. I'll give you a cookie if you get that reference. But I digress. Anything other than changing the canon would be great.

(edited)

From G1 to G2 My Little Pony passed from showing a world full of castles, pegasi, unicors, dragons, mythical creatures and magic to a more realistic world where all ponies were earth, they went to school in bus, they went for milkshakes everyday, and of course zero magic.

That's a good recipe for disaster.

Of course things like these would be fun to see though

Edited by RainbowMau

When the show first started, it was intended for a mature audience aswell as children. We have to remember that Faust wanted to make a show that was suitable for the whole family. That means daughter, mother, father, and even son.