Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

(edited)

WARNING:This fanfiction shall contain a slight amount of gore. If this isn't allowed by the standards of this community please excuse me and do not punish me for this. There is nothing too descriptive and the gore part receives little to none attention and is very light.

That given pronunciations... Ao is spelled like this (AY-oh) inspired by http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Ao but clearly not as poweful. Just a name similarity to symbolize how ,i bearing the same name in my facebook page, can lift my banhammer and ban others just as Ao liften his finger and instantly made Gods into mortals. As for Xross it is not an X but rather a Kay... like The X-Blade (Kay-Blade/Keyblade). Ao by me... Princess Sky by ~Sky and Queen Chysalis by Habro. Cover Art Drawn by Princess Ebet on deviantart.

queen_chrysalis_knights_group_pic_by_che
More fanart by Princess Ebet with the Queen and her daughter.
father_and_daughter_by_princessebet-d7op
My ponysona... and the King's form...
asd_by_nioniosbbbb-d7h4j8k.jpg
My Ponysona's Cutie Mark...
dsa_by_nioniosbbbb-d7h4jyl.jpg

http://nioniosbbbb.deviantart.com/art/Tidal-Rider-Ponysona-Cutie-Mark-452029197?q=gallery%3Anioniosbbbb%2F38141494&qo=10
http://princessebet.deviantart.com/art/Queen-Chrysalis-Knights-group-pic-444876093
http://princessebet.deviantart.com/art/Father-and-Daughter-464760237?q=gallery%3APrincessEbet&qo=0
http://nioniosbbbb.deviantart.com/art/Tidal-Rider-Ponysona-452028260
And now without further ado... the fanfic...

Chapter 1 - The Guardians of the Princess

The Alpha... the Omega... the beginning and the end. The neverending cycle of beginnings and endings cannot be broken. However there is one thing i cannot allow to end just yet... i can't allow my Queen to fall. But before i tell you of my present... you must understand my past.

Each changeling was different... each changeling was born differently... i proved to be one of the changelings that used every ending to fuel another beginning. I was one of the changelings that was armed with the determination to continue when all seemed lost... thus i was named Ao.

I was born at the time that Queen Amalthea and King Melon ruled. I had a semi-long silver mane with light teal scales, and heterochromic golden and green eyes. I wanted to become a royal guard. I wanted nothing but to contribute... to help... to give myself to the changeling Kingdom.

Life was in no way easy... everyone fought for the top. That's not to say that none respected each other. Everyone however was relentless, everyone worked with a passion in their hearts...

Our castle was located in an gorge, underground with little light reaching us from the surface. We were a hidden species after all... None knows our existence and that is for the greater good. Under the noses of the ponies their foals were exchanged with with changelings. For quite some time they grew, up until the point of maturity when they were recalled back to our Kingdom while the real ones were returned. That was the way it was supposed to be... that was the way to live up until then... In a philosophy of equivalent exchange we gave and created a life for the new foals, we gave them memories of a good life and in turned gained life in the form of all. All but the royals and the nobles experienced this. My family wasn't of high status and so i had the chance to experience such a life.

My friends... my rivals... they were one and the same. I had the greatest of fights during my life with my friends, we used the conflict between us to become better. We used conflict on both the mental and physical level to become something more. We looked together for the answer... we clashed in our Quest for the Truth, our Quest for the Strength, our Quest for Life.

There were of course those who were hollow... each changeling had some enemies and that was to be expected. None had the same ideals, the same virtues as the other, none necessarily played fair. But i had someone next to me that helped. Wherever i would be i was connected with my friends, my rivals... Connected in the darkness i knew that i wasn't alone. Chrysalis... Xross... those two names are ones i will never forget.

Princess Chrysalis was a unique and perhaps... "good" individual. Once i earned my position in the Royal Guard i confirmed this. She had a great interest in the future, she loved the changelings, all of them... The Guard and i with them witnessed this. We witnessed it when she visited the hatcheries, we witnessed it when she tended the wounded, we witnessed it whenever she saw a changeling die...

Oh she had her weaknesses. I could see it on her face... i could see it every time the power mongering nobles sent their changeling sons to court her, i saw it every time she broke into tears for her Quest for true love. But one night... one night it all became worse.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was standing outside the Princess' room as per her Highness' orders in my armor holding a spear and on one hoof and having attached a shield on the other. Standing next to me was my friend, my comrade, my rival... Xross... he had an orange mane and tail with a single yellow stripe on both. As we were both standing is silence we begun to ponder the events of that day.

Yet another false lover had tried to reach Chrysalis' heart that day... offering her everything he could muster. Empty promises of greatness ensued and i was there silently watching. There was no truth in the changeling's magenta eyes eyes... no spark, no spirit in the flow of his blood-red mane. I knew how to see emotions something my kind always could do. It was imperative for me to be aware of my surroundings, and as an empathetic species, as a changeling i had to take all emotions into account. Especially love...

I could say with certainty that this changeling made a considerable effort to hide his true intentions. But it was not enough... and Chrysalis understood too...

"Crimson Lance... Leave... Right now... if i see you one more time coming after me, harassing me with your lies i will not hesitate to kill you... Regardless of your status." She said with eyes slightly shining with anger as she looked from her height downwards to the changeling noble, while gritting her teeth at the same time. Being a Princess and next to the throne gave her body the capacity to grow larger than the normal changeling. Depending on the growth and power of a changeling this would increase but in a general sense Changeling Royalty was taller than the average changeling.

The changeling ahead of her narrowed his eyes and shuffled his eyebrows...

"You will regret it... you won't find love ever if you keep being stubborn like that." he said turning and puffing his chest and raising his head up and walking away.

My eyes widened open and this ruffled my wings and made me tremble in anger.

Was that a threat? i asked as i was met with a smirk from the pretentious noble.

"Threat? Oh no... i am simply saying there is cause... and consequence." I thought i heard a laugh as the changeling started to leave. I'd have to inform the King and Queen... we'd have to be extra careful for the next few days.

But she was still wounded. The words had gotten to her... that much was true when she requested to be left alone in her Royal quarters. I turned at my friend Xross and spoke.

"She's been there for hours almost dead-silent. Should i go check?" i said worried as i looked his way.

"She's fine... i can feel her aura from here. She's just... sad..." he said with an uncertain look not knowing what to feel. I was feeling empathetic... her sadness was affecting me. I was beginning to worry... as a guard i had to help the future changeling ruler. As a changeling i had to care for my Princess.

"Can you keep an eye out? I'm gonna go inside see how things are going."

"Alright but don't take too long... i hate guarding the gate all alone."

"Understood."

I proceeded to open the ornate mahogany gates of my Princess' room. As i opened them i was greeted with a luxury unlike common changeling residences. Silk curtains with hues of green, blue, teal. Blue roses and fur coats, a large drawer with tons of dresses.

And there she was... covering her face in her luxurious silken sheets and silently looking down my future Queen, Chrysalis. Oh she was so beautiful even when she was sad. Her radiant mane carefully folded into a braid, her holes just in the right spot... her sleek figure, and her black cheeks as the faint moonlight fell upon her from the window. I couldn't do anything else but protect her, aid her in whatever pain she was in.

"Princess?" i asked as i removed my helmet and bowed before her.

She shifted her eyes a little sleepy and looked at me... and immediately from the formality i caused she turned and the shadow upon her face grew larger. I knew she had gone bitter but i didn't understand. I wouldn't have to explain however.

"Why do you insist on formalities Ao? Does it look like i am in the mood for them? Why don't you try for once speaking like you truly wish to? I've had enough of pretentious courtesy..."

Oh maker knew how much i wished to speak with her freely and tell her everything. How i would give my life for the changeling kingdom, how much i admired her and her open heart, how much i loved her care for me and all the changelings below me. But i restrained myself... for i didn't wish to overstay my welcome with her. I did however partially oblige to her request.

"You are my future Queen, Chrysalis. I feel obliged to pay you my respects however fake you think they might be. There is no reason for you to stop believing there are good changelings out there because of some hollow crooked fakers. I don't wish for special treatment Princess, i don't wish for any position, power, money or influence. I simply wish to see the face of the Princess that made me proud to serve under her command." 

I placed my hoof upon my chest and puffed my chest. I was met with a scrutinizing look and my composure was inspected bit by bit from the Princess. She kept a serious look through her shadowed face.

"And you believe this is worth it?" i simply nodded and puffed my chest even more proudly than before.

"I am not afraid! If i need become a pillar for you to stand upon i will! If i need become a bridge for you to cross i will! If i need become a bed for you to rest upon i..." I didn't have a moment to continue my proud rambling before she said instinctively.

"Even if i became as pathetic as to need a shoulder to cry upon?" i was mildly surprised... I didn't know why she asked that question, for just a millisecond i shook a bit by the realisation of what she had just said. I regained my composure and thought about it... i wanted to at least seem true, i didn't want to just say a blind "yes". After i let a respectful moment for me to think about it looked at her through my heterochromic golden/green eyes. I exhaled.

"Yes." i simply declared. Just as i thought that i saw a slight smile on her face i felt a sharp sensation upon my mind. Someone was contacting me through our empathetic link. All changelings shared that link and it was often used to silently discuss things between each other, deliver messages, and share your feelings. All changelings shared this link and the stronger the changeling, the more he/she could speak to and lead more into combat. Right now the way i was contacted felt like an awful alarm clock and i knew one thing... this was an emergency.

"Ao... i think we have company..." I adjusted my ears that acted like Antennas right now and connected myself to the frequency. A split second later and just as the magical conduit had formed into the ley-lines i responded.

"Not a good time Xross... i was making progress." my message was dismissed as Xross continued.

"Yea you can do that right after we avoid death please? Cause i think that something is... the next part of the message was heard out loud as two loud bangs and a crashing sound came from outside.

"...INCOMING!" A metallic bang was heard possibly a changeling crashed against Xross and another knocked on the door breaking the lock. One side was left crooked and the other was completely knocked off the hinges leaving a large cloud of dust.

As the clash of metal with metal continued outside i grabbed my spear and shield and placed my helmet on my head once again as i jumped in front of Chrysalis waiting. Suddenly a changeling dressed with jet black clothes and shining magenta eyes jumped in the air. I immediately raised my shield and charged an emerald forcefield around as i yelled to my back.

"PRINCESS GET BACK!" my shield met the magical stomp of the assassin and blocked it. A lost a bit of ground as it pushed me backwards but was generally left unharmed. If i hadn't raised my shield in time the shockwave would have knocked me off my footing.

It seemed that the assassin was not trained enough. In any case he, i figured he was male from his bodily structure which was smaller than the average female as per changeling anatomy, found with a murderous intent striking with lightning quick blows filled with rage.

Chrysalis tried to react but her actions were met with strong shots of green mesh. While i tried to block some of them two found their targets at her diaphanous wings and her horn, placing her firmly in place against the wall as she tried to break free. I had to buy her some time... i had to buy Xross some time... the commotion would soon be heard from the rest of the denizens of the castle and i had to stand firm until that time.

The shine of silver and a metallic sound was heard as i widened my eyes. This guy was serious and as i saw the two blades attached to his hooves i knew he was determined. He charged at me... i flew to meet him and brushed aside one blade with my side and the other with my spear. I headbutted him and he rolled backwards holding me steady on him. However this caused the hood of his cloak to fall backwards as he jerked his head forwards to me. At that time i saw his face... the blood-red mane and magenta eyes.

"You... greedy... POWER HUNGRY MONGREL!" I yelled as I bashed my shield on his face, and made him spit some blood and teeth. Unfortunately that freed his left hoof and he didn't hesitate to try to stab me with it. Instinctively i pushed my spear and got his hoof which caused him to scream as blood rushed from it. Filled with adrenaline infused rage i couldn't hear or sense anything else of my surroundings. I was so focused on facing this mongrel that i didn't know if Xross was alright. I had to see at my situation right now...

I had left myself exposed and my enemy had finally one hoof free. Determined to draw my blood he jabbed his blade at my sides piercing the soft scales of my underbelly. I heard a scream respond to mine...

"Ao! NO!!!" i winced and closed my eyes as i saw her beautiful form at the side having her entire face stretched in horror of what she was seeing. I smiled... if i died i was dying for her... for the changelings, and their future. Nothing more... nothing less. As i saw the hoof readying to strike back the familiar orange-yellow tail and mane crossed my eyes as two back hooves stroke at the chest of my enemy effectively throwing him against the wall ahead. Xross was filled with blood on his hooves. To nail down his opponent he threw his spear and pierced the changeling at the shoulder. The pain from the spears that had targeted his hooves was excruciating. And him now being attached to the well i could rest.

They dashed on my side... my friend, my Princess, my future Queen... i couldn't hear their words so much. I just hoped... that if i died... they would be alright. And from what i saw they were...

"T-thank g*cough*... goodness. Y-you're UGH!!! you're s-safe." i said as i gave up trying to beat the pain. It was possible that i had internal bleeding and the blade had possibly hit my spleen. Whatever... it didn't matter so much. I had achieved my goal...

She was alive... and i was happy. My vision faded and everything went black as my senses succumbed to the pain...

Edited by NioniosTheJust