Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Discord's Magic = 3 Alicorns' Worth?

Castle Bleck

(edited)

Discord = fingersnapping hands + fingersnapping tail = 3 "horns."

Discord > Celestia + Luna (2 alicorns).

Discord + Tirek + background ponies + Mane 5 + Spike ("4 alicorns") = Twilight + Celestia + Luna + Cadance ("4 alicorns").

Discord = "3 alicorns" = only logical result.

Edited by A.V.

I wonder how was discord in the past...

I think Discord gets stronger the more Chaos there is around him. I don´t think he was on the zenit of his power when the Royal Sisters opposed him. If he had, he would probably have been in the middle of an enourmous Storm of Chaos where you change your shape and personality every few nanoseconds, like in the mage war in the Discworld books. Or maybe there was such a Storm, and Discord resided in its eye where the Chaos was relatively calm, while the storm thundered over the rest of Equestria. Maybe thats why they were so scratched when they opposed him, Celestia wasn´t scratched at all when she was taken down by NMM with that blast. Whatever happened before that sequence we saw must have been much, much worse.

But then, since

Tirek + background ponies + Mane 5 + Spike = 1 alicorn

at the time of draining Discord would be three times as powerful as Tirek. Why wouldn't he be able to overpower Tirek before, or even during, Tirek drained him?

(edited)

I think Discord gets stronger the more Chaos there is around him. I don´t think he was on the zenit of his power when the Royal Sisters opposed him. If he had, he would probably have been in the middle of an enourmous Storm of Chaos where you change your shape and personality every few nanoseconds, like in the mage war in the Discworld books. Or maybe there was such a Storm, and Discord resided in its eye where the Chaos was relatively calm, while the storm thundered over the rest of Equestria. Maybe thats why they were so scratched when they opposed him, Celestia wasn´t scratched at all when she was taken down by NMM with that blast. Whatever happened before that sequence we saw must have been much, much worse.

Given the CMC arguing let him finish busting his seal in TROH, you may have a point.

But then, since

Tirek + background ponies + Mane 5 + Spike = 1 alicorn

at the time of draining Discord would be three times as powerful as Tirek. Why wouldn't he be able to overpower Tirek before, or even during, Tirek drained him?

1. Tirek's "magic-tolerance" was likely just enough by then.

2. Discord was too busy going, 'WTF?!' to react anyway.

Edited by A.V.

(edited)

1. Tirek likely had just enough tolerance to take Discord's magic then.

2. Discord was busy going "WTF?!" anyway.

I would go with the second one. If Discord weren´t so shocked, Tirek wouldn´t have a chance trying to drain. If he waited with the draining a few seconds later, mybe giving a little speech, he would have been turned into a five-legged platypus or something.

Also, about the Chrystal Ponies: I actually thought the main reason why Tirek needed Discord was to have Discord sneaking into the Chrystal Empire, snatch the heart and then drain it. Why didn´t they do this?

Edited by YetAnotherDiscord

(edited)

Not a five-legged platypus, but...

Perry-The-Platypus-Wallpaper.jpg

I agree that if he wasn't shocked by Tirek's betrayal, he could have protected himself (and even defeated him).

Edited by Blobulle

Maybe physically not as strong as three Alicorns, but like tirek, he has tricks that would tilt the fight in his favor; if he can make Celestia's tail dissapear, why not make her wings go poof three miles up in the air. Or he could screw with them the same way he did the Mane Six; exploit the darkness in Luna's heart, then use Luna to get to Celestia. Cadence would be easy to deal with it afterwards; Twilight would probably break when Celestia does.

One could argue to give Discord "merely" 2 Alicorns worth of power. I would give 1 Alicorn to the background ponies and another 1 to the Mane 5 + Spike (well, he is a dragon after all). At this point, both Discord and Tirek would have been on the same level. And as far as I interpret Tireks power, he needs to be at least as strong as his opponent to drain him. That's at least my idea.

There is also one thing that may speak against your calculation: Tirek takes the magic from the horns of the Uni-, and Alicorns, but Discord´s magic streams out of his mouth. Maybe he uses his tongue or something like a horn? Or his magic is just somewhere in his inner organs. I think his horns, as the rest of his body, are just ornamental and actually not needed at all.

(edited)

I honestly have a difficult time imagining that even all 4 of the alicorns match up to Discords power, after everything we've seen him do and how little we've seen the alicorns do. One possibility however is that the four alicorns power combined into one entity is far more potent than four alicorns working separately.

But who knows, measuring the power of certain characters in a cartoon like this is rather difficult. Besides, it's entirely possible that Discords magic is totally different than that of the ponies, and thus can't really be compared.

Edited by Vixor

(edited)

There is also one thing that may speak against your calculation: Tirek takes the magic from the horns of the Uni-, and Alicorns, but Discord´s magic streams out of his mouth. Maybe he uses his tongue or something like a horn? Or his magic is just somewhere in his inner organs. I think his horns, as the rest of his body, are just ornamental and actually not needed at all.

My headcanon = Discord's hands and tail are "gauntlets," and even when he uses magic without fingersnapping, it still comes from said "gauntlets."

Edited by A.V.