Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are both Twilight and Cadence immortal?  

29 users have voted

1. 1. Are both Twilight and Cadence immortal?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know

So after seeing all this stuff about Twi being immortal since she is an alicorn, I started thinking. I highly doubt that she would be immortal, but yet Celestia has been around for 1000 or so years. SO I have came to a conclusion that there may be 2 types of alicorns: Queen Tier and God Tier. Queen Tier would be Twilight and Cadance, while immortal God Tier would be Luna and Celestia.

I have determined this by their powers. While the mortal alicorn's (For example, Cadance's love power) powers are impressive but not godly, God Tier does things like raise the fucking sun. So if a pony has that much power, then I am pretty sure they would be immortal. 

• Brohoof 6

I saw this somewhere on Derpibooru a few months back, and I found it rather intriguing. I think it's rather relevant to this idea.

379621_401198693321545_1397936129_n.png

• Brohoof 7

(edited)

Many think so. Me, too. I mean, we don't know it exactly, but that there is something special about Celestia and Luna was my headcanon since I watched "A Camterlot Wedding" for the first time. Keyword: Ethereal manes. That could also explain the design difference between season 1 Luna and season 2 Luna. The connection to those two cosmic aspects causes their powers and longer lifespan. I see their immortality more as some kind of forced longevity.

And I also think that they weren't born as what they are now. But that's just my headcanon. 

Edited by StatesTheOblivious

I'd have to go with what CD posted above. There are two types of Alicorns. One of which you are born into while the other is where your transformed into. Of course there is the question of how does one transform into an Alicorn as it doesn't look like something they just hand out for free.

(edited)

It makes sense and even if it's not true the effect is the same. The current writing and characterizations support it. Cadence doesn't have the flowly mane and we saw her as a younger pony in flashbacks. Plus her power is love, which is equivalent to Twilight's likely power of friendship. Both are eternal, but only exist between beings. Celestia and Luna control two forces of nature.

Edited by Nature Spell

There's a third and fourth type, as well.

"NORMAL" OC ALICORN:

An OC alicorn who seemingly is normal, despite being royalty or an alicorn.

SUPER POWERFUL OC ALICORN:

An OC alicorn who is more powerful than Celestia and Luna. Nobody can defeat them, and everybody usually loves them.

Show spoiler below (sorta)

In an interview with lauren faust, she was asked whether twilight will outlive her friends, being an alicorn. Lauren Faust answered that twilight, despite being an alicorn will not outlive her friends.

In an interview with lauren faust, she was asked whether twilight will outlive her friends, being an alicorn. Lauren Faust answered that twilight, despite being an alicorn will not outlive her friends.

Meghan said the same thing, but what people are really taking about is imortality, which is different than outliving her friends. She could outlive her friends simply because she gets lucky and lives longer. People out live their loved ones all the time. The end result is the same I guess; people dislike the thought if her friends leaving her alone. I don't expect the writers to give a final answer because they dislike being pinned down and want flexibility. All we can know is what we see we infer.

Meghan said the same thing, but what people are really taking about is imortality, which is different than outliving her friends. She could outlive her friends simply because she gets lucky and lives longer. People out live their loved ones all the time. The end result is the same I guess; people dislike the thought if her friends leaving her alone. I don't expect the writers to give a final answer because they dislike being pinned down and want flexibility. All we can know is what we see we infer.

Whether she is immortal or not, she has been confirmed not to outlive her friends. Meaning either for some strange reason, her friends are immortalised aswell, or more likley, Twilight isn't immortal.

I would have to agree with What CD Said Also,

I would think you've got the two tiers, Alpha and Beta,

The Ones that were Transformed and the ones that were Born Like so,

As it is Stated

Twilight Will Not Outlive Her Friends

Which would give there more evidence that there is actually two Tiers.

And I'm Horrible at Explaining this, So I may Stop.

~Sapphire, <3

(edited)

I think Ink Rose from youtube has the best interpretation. It falls in line with how I've personally have viewed the sisters to be. Basically members of a race that are the pony equivalent of the Tolkien Elves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFv1pcJe00U

She also refers to what Cadence and Twilight are as "Artificial Alicorns".

Taking into account the Pony Elve Equivalent Theory, and interpreting them as a race that somehow has near died out. I've thought of the intentions of StarSwirl's spell to be an attempt at creating Alicorns in order to bring the race back to it's former glory. But I may be wrong as I don't really recall the words of the spell. sleep.png

Meghan said that. Not Lauren.

Edited by himanuts

That's actually a really good way to explain it, Alpha and Beta Alicorns...

But who ruled before Princess Celestia and Luna's time? That's something that gets me thinking, my first thought is that they're the first Alpha alicorns who started it all, but I'm not sure ;P maybe I'm just over-analyzing the show too much all the time.

(edited)

That's actually a really good way to explain it, Alpha and Beta Alicorns...

But who ruled before Princess Celestia and Luna's time? That's something that gets me thinking, my first thought is that they're the first Alpha alicorns who started it all, but I'm not sure ;P maybe I'm just over-analyzing the show too much all the time.

Each tribe had it's own ruler. We learn that in Hearth's Warming Eve, which I think proves, or strongly suggests, that Celestia and Luna were born mortal and became immortal. My current head canon is that the mortal princesses of love and friendship become immortal princeses of the sun and moon at some point. Now that doesn't jive with the no immortal Twilight but it has a symmetry and logic I like. Edited by Nature Spell
  • Brohoof 1

Lauren Faust explicitly said at one point that Celestia and Luna were born alicorns. Since she's not running the show anymore, and it wasn't explicitly said in the show, that means Meghan is not bound by that statement. However, if assume that Meghan won't contradict that until she has a reason to, then it does mean Twilight is a different kind of alicorn than Celestia and Luna. If we take the Crystal Heart Spell book as canon, which it was billed as at one point, then Cadence is the same type of alicorn as Twilight, an ascended one.

• 2 months later...

Celestia and Luna have lived for centuries, we practically can say they're immortal. Since princess Cadence appeared at first time in the series, and since Twilight became an alicorn I've been wondering: Could both of them be immortal or are they only going to live for centuries, but not for a millennia?

I mean: they are alicorns, but they don't perform an important task such as control Sun or Moon. So, is the simple fact of being an alicorn a guarantee for immortality or it is only an exception for Celestia and Luna?

What do you think?

Guest DJ Hydrolicious

Well, from what I have seen in fanfics usually fanon twilight and cadence are said to not be immortal. I don't know about canon twilight and cadence.

I usually don't care much for fanon, so I don't know about that one. I also don't know about canon, and that shouldn't be surprising, since they didn't publish any facts on that thus noone knows. Also, they probably never will publish facts on that topic. After all, they didn't even confirm that Celestia and Luna are immortal, the only thing we know for sure, is that both of them are extremely long lived.

Well, I feel since Twilight and Cadence weren't born alicorns they well not be immortal. Besides, why would Cadence get married to Shining Armor or anypony if she knew that she would out live them? 

So I think they well die at some point.

• Brohoof 3

Guest DJ Hydrolicious

They will die at some point, since they weren't born alicorns. Meaning they are not immortal, Celestia and Luna are the only immortal alicorns right now.

Also I think it would create some kind of paradox if the Luna and Celestia were killed off. Since they rise the moon and sun. If there not risen then there will be no light and everything will die of on the planet and the planet would be a barren wasteland.

No. I see no reason why one would think that they would be immortal. No pony is immortal. Just because they are royalties and both Alicorns, it doesn't mean that they can't die. From my understanding, Alicorns just gets a longer life-time than other ponies but they are just as capable of dying and anypony else.

it would create some kind of paradox

No, that would just make a disaster, paradoxes are roped in with time.

Though I believe that since they weren't born alicorns then they wouldn't live forever. But I also think that Princess Luna and Celestia are exactly imortal. I'm sure that they could die at some point if they were stabbed or something but Cadence and Twilight are imortal in that sense either