Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are both Twilight and Cadence immortal?  

29 users have voted

1. 1. Are both Twilight and Cadence immortal?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know

Well, I feel since Twilight and Cadence weren't born alicorns they well not be immortal. Besides, why would Cadence get married to Shining Armor or anypony if she knew that she would out live them? 

So I think they well die at some point.

I also don't think that Luna or Celestia are immortal either, why would you need to train a replacement (IE Twilight) if you where immortal?

I just checked s1 e1 again, it just says they where regal sisters that ruled together.

With Alicorn's it is obvious that different rules apply, one I like is that they choose when to die as in, they make sure they find a replacement to rule and protect equestria for them.

In effect, the two sisters originally where just replacing what all the unicorns did together (hearth warming eve).

The normal thought about this is that since they weren't born Alicorns they're not immortal. We don't even know if Celestia and Luna are immortal we know that they live a elongated life but we don't know where they came from. Did they have parents and where are they now, or did they just manifest into existence one day?

They weren't even mentioned in Hearts Warming Eve (They were on the flag though) and I don't think the Commander Hot Stuff comic is canon. We really need an episode that explains all this.

i don't know what to think to be honest. I also don't know why everypony immediatly says no, how does that work? is it because of what fanfics say? Fanfics aren't canon...

What proof do we have that Celestia and Luna are born alicorns? Exactly. No proof at all. So that is no arguement. And we also have no proof that Celestia and Luna are immortal (although we'd like it very much, right?). Think about that!

Guest DJ Hydrolicious

No, that would just make a disaster, paradoxes are roped in with time.

Though I believe that since they weren't born alicorns then they wouldn't live forever. But I also think that Princess Luna and Celestia are exactly imortal. I'm sure that they could die at some point if they were stabbed or something but Cadence and Twilight are imortal in that sense either

No, I think there Ageless immortals not invincible. But I think you do have a good point there. So I will have to agree with you on that.

What proof do we have that Celestia and Luna are born alicorns? Exactly. No proof at all. So that is no arguement. And we also have no proof that Celestia and Luna are immortal (although we'd like it very much, right?). Think about that!

The only thing that says that Celestia and Luna are 'born' alicorns is Lauren Faust. She's not been in control of the show since the end of Season 1, so the current show-runners can contradict that at any time. They haven't yet, so many are taking it as 'Word of God' until proven otherwise.

Simply because they've lived for over a thousand years does not mean they are immortal. Simply long-lived compared to other ponies. And honestly, maybe not even by very much. The show has implied that Granny Smith herself is truly hundreds of years old and therefore that *all* ponies have extended lifespans relative to us.

Luna and Celestia seem to be in two different parts of their lifecycle, as Luna gives the appearance of being a 'youth' when compared to the elder Celestia. This may be due to Luna being imprisoned in the moon, so that Celestia has continued to age during those thousand years. Hopefully we'll get a chance to see what Luna and Celestia looked like before the imprisoning in Season 4, as all our other references and flashbacks have been through representative art pieces like the history books and stained glass windows, or only a hundred or so years ago which is not enough time for a perceptible change if Celestia is as long-lived as implied.

Plus, Luna shifted between a non-ethereal mane and an ethereal mane, as well as growing markedly taller, in a single Season. So their apparent age doesn't necessarily line up with their calendar age at all times.

Cadance appeared to age normally between flashbacks of her being Twilight's foalsitter, and the 'current day'. Both she and Twilight have non-ethereal manes in the same way Luna did in Season 1. When Cadance was fully 'powered up' and she and Shining Armor tossed Chrysalis out the window, she did have that ethereal mane. This may indicate that there is a further 'stage' they have to progress to in order to gain that exceptionally long life and ethereal mane more permanently. It might be as simple as growing into it, or there may be something event that has to occur similar to Twilight's 'alicoronation' that is not guaranteed to happen.

• Brohoof 1

Didn't either Megan or M R Lawson confirm that Twilight 'will not outlive her friends', in a tweet shortly after the alicorn controversy? Of course, that might mean that everypony becomes immortal instead...

Yeah I'm pretty sure that Twilight's immortality upon becoming an Alicorn were confirmed to be false. Twilight won't outlive her friends and she and Cadence will age normally.

Didn't either Megan or M R Lawson confirm that Twilight 'will not outlive her friends', in a tweet shortly after the alicorn controversy? Of course, that might mean that everypony becomes immortal instead...

Yep, ir was indeed confirmed that Twilight 'will not outlive her friends', which means she isn't immortal. Since Cadance seems to have aged normally and is probably the same age as Shining Armor I don't think she's immortal either.

• 10 years later...

All alicorns have the same height  and mane as a pony accept those who are crowned. Natural Alicorns like Luna and Celestia live forever. Twilight is not a natural alucorn so she may have life span like 300 years.  

• 1 month later...
On 2024-01-08 at 8:35 PM, Shimmer dust said:

All alicorns have the same height  and mane as a pony accept those who are crowned. Natural Alicorns like Luna and Celestia live forever. Twilight is not a natural alucorn so she may have life span like 300 years.  

Where is in show intro evidence that alicorns like Celestia and Luna will live forever? For all we know they just live long life but can eventually die like everyone else 

Heck, alicorns can literally be killed as Nightmare Moon tried to destroy Celestia before her banishment into the Moon. And if you can be killed then technically you can't be immortal