Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S02:EP07 - The Lone Alicorn

DivineMist1000

40 minutes ago, DivineMist1000 said:

This one is actually a day late from the usual Thursday upload, but I’m certain it’ll be good all the same!

Technically, the episode was released Thursday yesterday, IN ALL LANGUAGES BUT ENGLISH :muffins:

and well, another fantastic S2 episode. Sunny looking for alicorns like children born from foreign parents looking from that culture, and that brief PTSD episode, gave a glimpse of Sunny’s largely unexplored weak and human (in a manner of speaking :mlp_icwudt:) side. Also, spoilers 

Spoiler

This is possibly them making their way to Skyros, and discovering more alicorns

3307725.gif

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

SPOILER: Watch the episode before reading my thoughts about it!

Have we ever heard Twilight's cutie mark referred to as "the Starscout Crest" before now? It seems as though Hasbro is setting up a connection between Sunny Starscout and the Alicorns of Skyros. Might Sunny be descended from the Alicorns ofold? Could this be the legacy of her mother??? 

Edited by Otaku-sempai
  • Brohoof 3

Oh interesting one. The ruins of Opaline's castle kind of me reminds me of the Castle of the Two Sisters, and for me it's unexpected for them to return to this place when we already have another villain (Allura) around. I loved hearing Pinkerton bringing back Opaline's theme ^^ 

I also like the small detail in this generation that the songs actually exist in-universe, so you constantly hear the characters singing and listening to the same songs, here we have the return of "My Bananas" from some of the early Season 1 eps.

I no longer expect Opaline to return after this one though, I think if they still planned for her to return this episode was a good opportunity for them to leave at least a small clue, I think she's dead.

40 minutes ago, Otaku-sempai said:

Have we ever heard Twilight's cutie mark referred to as "the Starscout Crest" before now? 

As far as I remember, no, maybe it's not even the same symbol and it's only extremely similar to our eyes.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
16 minutes ago, Rafa Stary said:

Oh interesting one. The ruins of Opaline's castle kind of me reminds me of the Castle of the Two Sisters, and for me it's unexpected for them to return to this place when we already have another villain (Allura) around. I loved hearing Pinkerton bringing back Opaline's theme ^^ 

I also like the small detail in this generation that the songs actually exist in-universe, so you constantly hear the characters singing and listening to the same songs, here we have the return of "My Bananas" from some of the early Season 1 eps.

I no longer expect Opaline to return after this one though, I think if they still planned for her to return this episode was a good opportunity for them to leave at least a small clue, I think she's dead.

As far as I remember, no, maybe it's not even the same symbol and it's only extremely similar to our eyes.

Well the main symbol on the Crest is the same, but there is a little more to it I think! A show like this rarely kills off a villain for good, so I wouldn't be surprised if the crew uses this to bring Opaline back. 

Edited by Otaku-sempai

I wonder if they will bring back Twilight,Celestia and Luna back?
(Can’t say the same thing Cadance and Flurry Heart as they weren’t as important to the story and Flurry Heart’s rights until 2025 is owned by Discovery Family not Hasbro)

Or will it just be more references and nods to them and they will kept their fates vague and will we see a bunch of new alicorn characters?

However if they do bring back all of the G4 alicorns back that would cause unfortunately quite a fan backlash at least among the G4 diehards

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, WickedGames said:

I wonder if they will bring back Twilight,Celestia and Luna back?
(Can’t say the same thing Cadance and Flurry Heart as they weren’t as important to the story and Flurry Heart’s rights until 2025 is owned by Discovery Family not Hasbro)

Or will it just be more references and nods to them and they will kept their fates vague and will we see a bunch of new alicorn characters?

However if they do bring back all of the G4 alicorns back that would cause unfortunately quite a fan backlash at least among the G4 diehards

It's certainly possible that Celestia and Luna returned to Skyros sometime after their retirement.

1 hour ago, Otaku-sempai said:

It's certainly possible that Celestia and Luna returned to Skyros sometime after their retirement.

Wow you are everywhere it seems haha!

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

This is undoubtedly the best Sunny episode of the show, the best episode of the season so far, and one of the best episodes of the show so far to me! :Sunny-huh: Where do we begin?

That dream sequence at the beginning showing all of Sunny's friends as alicorns was a cool surprise, the callbacks to Starscout Code with the tapestry and the plot being adventure-focused and lore-developing were awesome, and best of all, more character development for Sunny! :izzy-shine: Insane how an episode this good is the first to get an English release delay, it REALLY shows off how TYT is getting better! :PIPPIPHURRAY:

Episodes Since Comet's Last Appearance: 7

For once, pointing out Comet's absence feels completely obligatory because I enjoyed the episode that much. 

Edited by Misty Shadow
Added the Comet counter.
  • Brohoof 2
  • Hugs 1

6 minutes ago, WickedGames said:

On a side note I guess those 3 other alicorns on that photo will play a big part when they get to Skyros?

That's hard to say. The images might not represent any specific Alicorns. 

• Brohoof 1

22 minutes ago, Otaku-sempai said:

That's hard to say. The images might not represent any specific Alicorns. 

I have this stupid worry they will mention that something bad happen to Shining Armor 

That would be too much and impossible for G5 and Tell Your Tale right?

• Brohoof 2

This has got to be one of the best episodes of the show! I know I say that a lot, but it’s always true! :PIPPIPHURRAY:

So cool seeing Sunny and Zipp team up for once, and I’m loving this character development for Sunny and I definitely love these lore based episodes too. Having Sunny find Skyros and finding more Alicorns is a really good arc for her. :Sunny-huh:

I like how this season sets up “character arcs” for some of the ponies, like Misty with her magic and Sunny with the Alicorns, and that’s definitely something to look forward to. :grin2:

I was kind of thinking that Opaline would return in this episode too, but with her castle destroyed, I wonder if we really have seen the last of her… 

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Given how consistently good these season 2 episodes have been it's making me a lot more okay with TYT being the only show for now.

With this we basically have a setup for at least three different story and character arcs with Misty, Zipp, and Sunny. Which I think I mentioned before how those 3 practically take turns being the main protagonists funny enough lol. We'll see if Izzy, Hitch and Pipp get similar episodes soon :izzy-oooh:.

Raccoonicorn's taking over Opaline's castle and turning it into a dance club reminds me a lot of the ravers in Disco Elysium, who can end up turning an abandoned church into a night club depending on what Harry does. Pretty sure that's just a trope but still, funny similarity.

I personally don't think they'll physically bring back any of the G4 alicorn's with this alicorn/Skyros arc but who knows. We'll probably at least get some type of reference to Luna and Celestia I'd imagine since they both originate from Skyros but beyond that idk.

Also with Opaline's castle completely falling apart... She seems super dead. Can't see them bringing her back after that, it was like confirmation that she's gone for good.

Edited by Iforgotmybrain
typo
  • Brohoof 2
  • Hugs 1

8 minutes ago, Iforgotmybrain said:

Given how consistently good these season 2 episodes have been it's making me a lot more okay with TYT being the only show for now.

With this we basically have a setup for at least three different story and character arcs with Misty, Zipp, and Sunny. Which I think I mentioned before how those 3 practically take turns being the main protagonists funny enough lol. We'll see if Izzy, Hitch and Pipp get similar episodes soon :izzy-oooh:.

Raccoonicorn's taking over Opaline's castle and turning it into a dance club reminds me a lot of the ravers in Disco Elysium, who can end up turning an abandoned church into a night club depending on what Harry does. Pretty sure that's just a trope but still, funny similarity.

I personally don't think they'll physically bring back any of the G4 alicorn's with this alicorn/Skyros arc but who knows. We'll probably at least get some type of reference to Luna and Celestia I'd imagine since they both originate from Skyros but beyond that idk.

Also with Opaline's castle completely falling apart... She seems super dead. Can't see them bringing her back after that, it was like confirmation that she's gone for good.

Which Discovery Family still owning the rights to season 5 through 9 it will be tough 

• Brohoof 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, WickedGames said:

I have this stupid worry they will mention that something bad happen to Shining Armor 

That would be too much and impossible for G5 and Tell Your Tale right?

Not impossible, but that seems unlikely (discounting a natural death). 

1 minute ago, WickedGames said:

That would be too dark for TYT right?

Maybe not. It's been a long time since the fall of Twilight's Equestria. And it's not like the show has to be explicit about it. 

2 minutes ago, Otaku-sempai said:

Maybe not. It's been a long time since the fall of Twilight's Equestria. And it's not like the show has to be explicit about it. 

It still would upset and confuse a lot of people 

• Brohoof 1

Very interesting. Although I do not personally like the idea of Skyross, this was a great Sunny episode and is one of the best episodes so far. I am not very happy about Opaline's castle crumbling due to some rodents with boomboxes, as funny as that may sound - but the dream Sunny had was very interesting. The idea of the Tapestry and Sunny's desire to search for Alicorns is quite powerful however.

• Brohoof 2
  • Hugs 1

• 3 weeks later...

Great episode! Season 2 is doing an awesome job so far! There has been a lot of set up for characters arcs, this is really great. Opaline's castle reminded me of the Castle of Two Sisters, but it sucks that it's gone now. I thought it was very cool to see the duo work together and we got some good lore.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

I never read the journal of the Two Sisters so I'm used to the reality that Alicorns can only be made not born. So I was not pleased when G5 started saying Alicorns are born. Although I have learned since then that is not entirely cannon.

But I am liking the idea that the New 6 will going out looking for the Alicorn land. It's world building and lore expanding, just like G4 used to do. Also it gives me hope they'll bring back the G4 alicorns.

• Brohoof 2