Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Alicorns life span

child of the night

This is a question that has puzzled me for a long time:

Lets say that Celestia and Luna were born alicorns (i am not saying they were but lets just speculate right now.) What would the difference in how long they lived between the pony's who are born alicorns and the ones who are made into alicorns?

I'm not so sure about ponys who have been born alicorns, but I think that ponys made into alicorns live a regular legenthed life. In the episode 'A Canterlot Wedding' part one it shows cadence in her younger form in twilights' flash back.

Good question.  I would say that born alicorns (Celsetia and Luna in your case) can live forever.  Ponies made into alicorns (Twilight) could live forever, but it isn't set in stone.  Honestly, now that I'm writing this, I am just as puzzled as you are.  

Great question, I think the life span of an alicorn would have to be that you live forever due to immortality. As for Cadence and Twilight their life span is still to be determined, their life span could either be immortal/live forever or just live up to a certain period of time in their own lives.

I think they just live a very long time either way.  Alicorns that were born that way have more magical energy then the ponies that were made into alicorns.  Twilight won't relive her friends, because she was formed into an alicorn.  Celestia and Luna will live a very long time, because the magical energy has always been with them.

I think that Atleast twilight and cadence are going to live regular life spans.

Now Luna and celestia have already surpassed normal lifespans, so I'm not sure on them.

My head cannon is that the flowing manes have to do with whether an alicorn lives an extend(or possibly immortal) lifespan, and since cadence and twilight both don't have the flowing manes they will live a normal life span.

Now what gives the alicorns like Luna and Celestia their flowing mane and extended lifespan still perplexes me.

I'm hoping for some form of hints or answers in S4 though.

If they were born alicorns we'd assume they came out as kids thus have grown. If they have grown that means they aren't immortal but that they just age very slowly. Another possiblity is that they grow at a normal pace but use an age spell to revert back to their youth. This somewhat goes against their personality since it implies they are okay with forcefully extending their all powerful rule over the ponies, allowing no other to replace them.

Since we saw Luna significantly smaller after the elements kicked the Nightmare Moon out of her, but now she is much larger we can infer something else. That the sisters grow with their magical power. Lauren Faust said in her mind the sister's manes reflect with magical power which is why Luna's mane, after being purified, did not flow. This would also explain how Luna could grow so much in only one season's time. Also this means that they are biologically immortal as longs as they don't run out of magic. If we consider this as true we can see their life as being born as a child, learning lots of magic, growing because of their rising magical power, and then dethrowning Discord to rule Equestria in harmony.

Personally though despite Lauren saying the sisters were born alicorns, I like to believe they transcended like Twilight and Cadence and that their transcendence made them immortal. Maybe in season four we'll see.

This is a question that has puzzled me for a long time:

Lets say that Celestia and Luna were born alicorns (i am not saying they were but lets just speculate right now.) What would the difference in how long they lived between the pony's who are born alicorns and the ones who are made into alicorns?

I always imagined that Luna and Celestia were born Alicorns, due to the seemingly normal life-spans and circumstances for Twilight and Cadance being Alicorns. I've always led to believe Luna and Celestia found some kind of source to make them long-lived. Because it wouldn't really make much sense if they were born this 'immortal'. Perhaps the regal magic manes that only Luna and Celestia possess maybe has to do with why they're so different than Cadance and Twilight. It's probably directly that mysterious power. 

Yeah, I've always wondered about that too. I think that if you're born an alicorn, you can be young and old but only live for a long time. And if you're made into an alicorn, you never look young or old and you can live forever.

• 9 years later...

Yes, I know, answering a topic in 10 years is very timely.
---------------
And yet they are most likely immortal.
This is confirmed in G4 by the fact that Celestia and Luna have lived for over a thousand years. And the fact that in the new G5 we have Opaline, who caught Celestia and Luna, given the time gap and the fact of the loss of magic (and that she is alive, so immortality is not associated with the presence of magic), then they are immortal.

Edited by Kantet

My headcanon, very much influenced by the classic fan drawing shown below, is the following:

Luna and Celestia are not immortal, but they do live an immensely long life. Their parents are far more powerful as they are associated with far more fundamental entities of the universe. However, even for them, I would consider them to have a finite lifespan, albeit exponentially longer than that of the Two Sisters.

Continuing with the notion that The Two Sisters are less powerful and are associated with smaller entities in the universe compared to their parents (each successive generation is so to speak less godly), I considered them to be descendants of the original ancestor which would be, to describe it one way, pure essence: infinitely powerful as it is the reason why there is existence; this original ancestor is the only one who is eternal.

As an aside, the parents shown below are named King Cosmos and Queen Galaxia. I do not think I quite agree with the choices of names and associated entities as cosmos is far more general than galaxy. Star and moon exists within the domain of a star system, so it strikes me as sensible that Celestia and Luna would be sisters. However, if we were to have a character associated with galaxies and another with the cosmos, it would strike me as more sensible to have, instead of Galaxia and Cosmos as both being the Two Sisters' parents, Galaxia as the Two Sisters' mother, and Cosmos as the Two Sisters' grandfather.

10773__safe_artist-colon-spyrothefox_pri

Edited by Luna the Great of all the Russias
  • Brohoof 1

I believe that they were born by Alicorn parents who had some sort of previous role in Equestria that is now lost to history. I never accepted the notion that Celestia and Luna were born as regular ponies and Ascended to Alicorn status, while interesting - for whatever reason that concept never interested me as much of them being born. I think they are just very long loved, and not actual immortal. When they die, I believe their bodies themselves pass on into a higher plain of existence. 

On 2023-08-23 at 1:55 AM, Kantet said:

Yes, I know, answering a topic in 10 years is very timely.
---------------
And yet they are most likely immortal.
This is confirmed in G4 by the fact that Celestia and Luna have lived for over a thousand years. And the fact that in the new G5 we have Opaline, who caught Celestia and Luna, given the time gap and the fact of the loss of magic (and that she is alive, so immortality is not associated with the presence of magic), then they are immortal.

n addition to the argument about Opalin, there is another point that few people noticed, this thousand years, while the Moon was in captivity, did not particularly affect them outwardly in terms of age, it became rather a minor nuisance for both sisters. So they are definitely immortal.

• 2 weeks later...

Opaline’s presence after god knows how many years after FIM, looking not older than 40 by an estimated physical appearance, shows alicorn life span is LOOOOOOOOONG. Still NOT immortal, but this shows they are extremely long lived

10 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

Opaline’s presence after god knows how many years after FIM, looking not older than 40 by an estimated physical appearance, shows alicorn life span is LOOOOOOOOONG. Still NOT immortal, but this shows they are extremely long lived

However, she was also present during the events of FiM. So no, they are immortal.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2023-09-08 at 2:35 PM, Steve Piranha said:

How that concludes alicorns are immortal instead of extremely long lived?

Considering the time period between them, considering that something else preceded the events presented directly in G4. Moreover, time itself does not affect them in any way. All this is deduced logically. They are immortal

1 hour ago, Kantet said:

Considering the time period between them, considering that something else preceded the events presented directly in G4. Moreover, time itself does not affect them in any way. All this is deduced logically. They are immortal

That’s doesn’t really explain how that concludes they are immortal instead of long lived. Celestia lived for over a thousand years by the time FIM started. About a couple of hundreds between FIM and G5 won’t doo much difference in comparison 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2023 at 2:22 PM, Steve Piranha said:

That’s doesn’t really explain how that concludes they are immortal instead of long lived. Celestia lived for over a thousand years by the time FIM started. About a couple of hundreds between FIM and G5 won’t doo much difference in comparison 

But during these 200 years, many events happened, the same disappearance of magic, and even so she survived.
But oh well, there will be another argument: Opalin said that alicorns are immortal.

5 hours ago, Kantet said:

But during these 200 years, many events happened, the same disappearance of magic, and even so she survived.
But oh well, there will be another argument: Opalin said that alicorns are immortal.

Interesting, I may have missed it. In what series and episode Opaline said that?

If it was only Celestia and Luna, I would've probably said immortal. But with the addition of Cadence (who clearly ages) and *sigh* Twilight (who again ages or rather grows), between 1k and who knows. :lostit:

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/6/2023 at 12:12 AM, Steve Piranha said:

Interesting, I may have missed it. In what series and episode Opaline said that?

In the episode "Have You Seen This Dragon?" Opaline said at the 19th minute that alicorns are immortal 
I apologize for not answering for a long time.

Edited by Kantet