Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Any Board Game Fanatics Out There

Stancet

I am a die hard fan of board games. And no, I'm not talking about familiar games like Chess, Scrabble, Monopoly or Sorry. I'm talking about real games like Puerto Rico, Twilight Imperium, Pandemic, Agricola and Ticket to Ride. Is there anyone else who's found that rediscovered interest in board games we've had in the last ten or fifteen years?

• Brohoof 1

Yes. I have the first edition of Talisman, The Settlers of Catan, Warcraft III: Board Game and Game of Thrones: Board Game. Unfortunately, I have no one to play them with, so I just repeatedly read through the rules.

• Brohoof 1

Nope. Well not really. But I am trying to get into board games with friends around my area. Two weeks ago we played a game called diplomacy which was very fun. The game is sort of like extreme risk and has an emphasis on negotiations and back stabs. Currently we are looking to play some other games and get into role playing. 

I have a few. I have Heroquest from 1989 and all of the expansions. I also preordered the 25th anniverssary remake of it. I also have all of the expansions for Descent 1st and 2nd editions. These are dungeon crawlers, not the same as the other kind of games you mentioned. I have played others.

• Brohoof 1

I like dungeon crawlers because of the tactical nature of the games. I also like gathering treasure and becoming more powerful. I would prefer to play old school D&D but I don't have anyone to play with.

Last year I bought all of the Heroquest expansions from ebay, all complete in box. Cost me over $1400. Then I played a bit with my friend and we discovered some flaws in the rules that we could exploit. We had to house rule to fix it. It's something I didn't think about when I first played the game 20 years ago.

I played Cut Throat Caverns twice. My problem with that game is I try to be cooperative and work together. I'm not good at stabbing people in the back. We played with 6 people and I was in last place the whole time. I had the special ability to absorb damage for a round and not lose hit points, and I had a special card that let me do basically that same thing. So I took damage for the team. Then the last monster was worth a bunch of points and I had good cards. I did the killing blow. Someone tried to block me, but I countered the block. I ended up tying in first place. Still, I didn't really like the game that much. 

I played Maul of America, a simple zombie survival game. The goal was to collect some items and escape. But I got a shot gun and went around trying to protect the other players. I got eaten, but it was fun. I can't help trying to be the hero.

@@BronyNumber42

I have Cutthroat Caverns. That game had a good-enough premise but the gameplay and actions were all flavorless cards and (like you said) it's kinda difficult to enjoy if you don't have a sinister personality.

Personally I'm not a huge board game fan myself sorry but, I do like some. I'm a huge fan of Dominion (though it's technically a card game) soooooo much fun, I love it, would love to own and be able to play it again, seeing as a friend of mine who lives fairly far away owns it. It's an expensive game though and even if I did own it I wouldn't be able to play that often.

Any other fans of Dominion on here?

Not anymore, though I used to play the shit out of Monopoly and Life. Though, to this day Chess remains my favorite.

Oh yeah, Mouse Trap was a good one, too