Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Gender Equality vs. Gender Anonymity

SolidTwilight

30 users have voted

1. 1. do you want gender equality or gender anonymity

• equality, one should be able to do anything the other can if hey want
    • Anonymity, we should all pretend there is no difference between anyone

So I am for gender equality, in that I want both to be able to do just about anything the other can do like guy can where skin tight workout gear, where a dress, or girls can have really shot hair, do any sport they want, stuff like that, but I am not for pretending like gender does not exist. in that a guy can where a dress and it is ok, but he will always be a guy in a dress, what I am trying to say is they should not sell "people underwear" because there is practical reason for having one for each gender, what I am saying is you should be able to buy boys MLP underwear and girls transformers underwear. how about every one else?  

Edited by SolidTwilight
  • Brohoof 2

People make excuses and stereotypes because they are afraid of change and things not being under their control. Do what you want, freak some people out (to an extent), and have fun with your life, no matter who or what you are. Life is played by more than the decisions you make, it's about how you think those decisions should be posed.

• Brohoof 2

I've always questioned why people cared if men wear dresses and if girls had short hair. It's their choice, so let them have it. Now, I wouldn't wear a dress or have long hair again, but if a guy wants to do that, let them do it. I'm all for gender equality as well. :)

• Brohoof 5

Yeah, exactly.  "Gender anonymity" sounds like going too far; there are definite genders, as animals this is a basic scientific truth and it's how things are and will always be.  I know that trans/genderfluid/bigender/etcetc. issues are complex and difficult and painful, and we need to help those people and understand them and give them support, but pushing TOO far as if to completely abolish gender as even being a 'thing' anymore is ridiculous.

Equality all the way, though.  Full, complete equality; either gender doing anything they want or need or enjoy, no holds barred, yep, I support that 100%.

• Brohoof 1

I feel like most peoples' responses so far defy the nature of the poll. Perhaps I'm overthinking this. Ironically, I might also be underthinking this, much to my own chagrin.

At some level, I keep thinking that there will be no pragmatic difference between gender equality and gender anonymity. I also keep wanting to swap out the word "gender" for "sex" because physiologically speaking, men are slightly stronger than women and better with spacial reasoning, and women are slightly better with linguistic skills and pain endurance than men. At least that's what I've always heard.

Gender has nothing to do with any of that. It's not something that can effectively be ignored or equalized. I wouldn't want to engage a man in a battle of wits, because I might win through attrition, and I might not urge a female coworker to lift that 100 pound back of concrete because they probably wouldn't be able to.

If it were me, I would go the way of ignoring the various sexes and genders and just let everyone do whatever they want to do and understand that the individual people are the victims of their birth conditions. If someone is born weaker, let them not have to pick up as heavy of an object, and play to their strengths instead. Assuming the difference is even that great to acknowledge in that particular scenario, whatever it is.

We're all the same kind of consciousness. That's the important part. I never met anyone who wasn't important.

Or maybe I just don't get it. But that's okay. I love you all anyway. :P

Edited by SkyDream
  • Brohoof 2

I voted gender equality because there are people who feel gender identity is important. I'd like to get rid of stereotypes (like what defines something as masculine or effeminate) so everyone can like whatever they want.

• Brohoof 1

Gender Anonymity? You want to ignore biology? You can't ignore biology. :huh:

I'd say the world definitely needs more gender equality though. Some countries are still idiotic about that unfortunately.

• Brohoof 2

Equality, because I like being a girl.  I think all people should take pride in how they are.  Their gender, race, nationality.  We should all be grateful for what we have, without shaming other people for the hand they've been dealt.  For all that to go away, we would lose a lot.

• Brohoof 1

Your reasoning is more like being opposed to sexist stereotypes about how girls love princesses and guys love guns. The problem is that our culture sees this as fact, rather than typical behaviour. Gender equality is more like women having the same rights as men and vice versa rather than having "male-themed" and "female-themed" underwear.

Edited by Otty~

Gender Anonymity? You want to ignore biology? You can't ignore biology. :huh:

Humans can. One of the curses of being one rung above the rest of the animal kingdom. XD

Gender Anonymity doesn't require the destruction of gender idenity to work, it just needs to be taken in consideration.

Like if a guy wants to dress as a woman then fine, but at least get clothes tailored to fit you properly or you're just going ruin them :P If a woman wants to do a 'mans job' just make sure you're pyshically strong enough for it and have safety gear to fit you.

Edited by Shire Pony Malinter
  • Brohoof 1

This thread makes me happy.  Such nice and positive responses.

I have often ruminated on this very subject.  First off, I just wanted to clarify something technically.  Sex is your biological makeup; male or female.  Gender is what you perceive yourself to be; masculine or feminine.  Sex is, for the most part, pretty cut and dry.  Either one or the other, with some rare and complicated exceptions.  Gender, of course, is much more complex, and is a sliding scale with an infinite number of possibilities/combinations.  People usually use the terms gender and sex interchangably.  I don't care, as it's not hard to tell what people mean.  I just wanted to clear that up in case anyone was wondering.

To the topic at hand--I have often noticed that as our society has moved towards sexual/gender equality, it sometimes goes too far towards anonymity.  It's basically our society's obsession with political correctness and such.  Sometimes people are so afraid of offending others, that they go so far as to pretend that there are not two sexes.  Obviously, this is just silly.  There are two sexes, and each are wonderful in their own ways.  We can have complete equality, but still celebrate and appreciate differences.  Sometimes the equality issue gets too extreme and approaches anonymity, yet there's still sexism, unfair double standards, and ridiculous stereotypes.  There's a happy medium in there somewhere.  And it's really not complicated.  Every person is unique--just let everyone be who they want to be, regardless of sex, treat others nicely and don't judge unfairly, and there won't be a problem.  Sex and gender has always been a touchy subject throughout human history, and often times people seem to feel threatened by anything that is outside the norm, or different from what they're used to.  But if everyone just treats everyone else nicely, then it doesn't matter what a person's sex/gender is.

I'm male, and I love to wear a variety of unique outfits that challenge gender stereotypes a bit.  I make a lot of my own clothes, since you can't really buy anything like this for men.  I made an ancient greek styled skirt type thing, and right now I'm working on a piece based on Fang's outfit from Final Fantasy XIII.  Call it a dress if you want.  Whatever you like.  But it's a male version, specifically designed for a male figure.  I'm super excited about it.  In recent months, I've gotten much more confident and comfortable wearing these sort of clothes and expressing myself that way, and it's in no small part due to this community and positive threads like this.  Thanks, everypony.

• Brohoof 1

This thread makes me happy. Such nice and positive responses.

I have often ruminated on this very subject. First off, I just wanted to clarify something technically. Sex is your biological makeup; male or female. Gender is what you perceive yourself to be; masculine or feminine. Sex is, for the most part, pretty cut and dry. Either one or the other, with some rare and complicated exceptions. Gender, of course, is much more complex, and is a sliding scale with an infinite number of possibilities/combinations. People usually use the terms gender and sex interchangably. I don't care, as it's not hard to tell what people mean. I just wanted to clear that up in case anyone was wondering.

To the topic at hand--I have often noticed that as our society has moved towards sexual/gender equality, it sometimes goes too far towards anonymity. It's basically our society's obsession with political correctness and such. Sometimes people are so afraid of offending others, that they go so far as to pretend that there are not two sexes. Obviously, this is just silly. There are two sexes, and each are wonderful in their own ways. We can have complete equality, but still celebrate and appreciate differences. Sometimes the equality issue gets too extreme and approaches anonymity, yet there's still sexism, unfair double standards, and ridiculous stereotypes. There's a happy medium in there somewhere. And it's really not complicated. Every person is unique--just let everyone be who they want to be, regardless of sex, treat others nicely and don't judge unfairly, and there won't be a problem. Sex and gender has always been a touchy subject throughout human history, and often times people seem to feel threatened by anything that is outside the norm, or different from what they're used to. But if everyone just treats everyone else nicely, then it doesn't matter what a person's sex/gender is.

This is exactly what I wanted to say with this thread!

Your reasoning is more like being opposed to sexist stereotypes about how girls love princesses and guys love guns. The problem is that our culture sees this as fact, rather than typical behaviour. Gender equality is more like women having the same rights as men and vice versa rather than having "male-themed" and "female-themed" underwear.

I did mean to go deeper then just sexist stereotypes with my post but I was kind of mad at the time I made it and I did not do a very good job at making my point. but you wrote just what I was think that our culture sees this type of stuff as fact, rather than typical behavior. Also I agree with you about the meaning of gender equality.

• Brohoof 1