Are the MLP comics good?

I bought all the Friendship is Magic and Friends Forever comics the other day. Have read all the FF ones and have to say that they were all at least pretty good bar the Applejack/Pinkie one. The CMC/Discord, Fluttershy/Zecora and Applejack/Rarity ones were the best, all very funny and entertaining (best moment might've been the Star Trek reference with Discord :lol:  :umad:) . Nice to see a lot of positive comments for the mane series too so I'll be looking forward to starting them.

No problem and thank you for your compliment.

Yea, let's put it like this with the Reflections arc, you thought Meghan Mccarthy was bad at writing romance between characters like Twilight with Flash, Katie's romance with Celestia and AU Sombra made Mccarthy's romance writings look awesome in comparison. Don't read it or be prepared to rage at how bad that arc is.

I haven't been into reading fanfics so I'm not a good source on that.

Oh well, I used to despise fanfics with all of my guts... but the one I mentioned was actually so well written and portrayed the characters so richly that it was easy for me to change my mind about it.

The fact that it is as long as a real book also made me like it a lot, if you ever feel like trying read one, I'd strongly encourage you to try "Past Sins"

• Brohoof 1

FEAR is a CAGE:

In there, NOTHING can reach you
From there, there is NOTHING you can reach

Sister Sarah - Chapter 39, The Fall of the Masked Gala (my book is coming soon!!!)

Yep yep

Love them to death

If anyone wants a link to the YouTube channel that has all of them for free, let me know

Because if you're like me, you don't have money to be wasting on merch

PS.: Since it looks like you may answer me, I will ask: Is there any really good fan fiction out there, besides Past Sins? I'm really willing to read some more good material.

Fallout Equestria is the bee's bollocks

I highly recommend it

Following your advice, I read the entire Return of Queen Chrysalis, and I must say, while it has a really good art (although Twilight eyes and Fluttershy/Rainbow Dash's wings kinda of annoyed me) I don't like the feels that the characters pass through the comics

The following contains my opinion on The Return of Queen Chrysalis, it may contain spoilers.

All of them seemed much more dumb than in the show... and if not dumb, at least out of character, like some rage attacks that Applejack had that surely doesn't match her character, or the fact that the Cutie Mark Crusaders really kept on discussing about getting their cutie marks while being hostages to the queen... that feels just "off"

Rainbow Dash being so grumpy all the time is another thing that just seems wrong for me, along with Twilight feeling a little bit too easy to get annoyed at everybody else.

Pinkie Pie... I actually liked her a lot, mainly because of the costume and the way she figured out how to answer the Riddle (it was brilliant)

Now some highlights: Again, it is really beautiful and pleasant, and the amount of references to classic shows and famous memes is really well used, mainly when Rarity says "That escalated quickly..." and finishes the sentence with her own touch, it was delightful to see.

Another highlight is Rarity herself, she, in my opinion, was the best portrayed pony in this comic.

Edited because I didn't know how to do the "spoiler" thing

I disagree

RD and AJ were appropriately in charActer

With RD being stuck with Pinkie most of the time and AJ having her sister kidnapped, I'd be pretty damn grumpy as well. You would too, and you don't even have to be the bearer of the elements of harmony to feel that.

I even found them to be more endearing than usual, especially that Pinkie/RD interactions that always ended in Dash being exasperated as her already-short patience was zapped by Pinkie's nonsense

There's a giant difference between "out of character" and and "presenting a character with new challenges, and therefore, New interactions"

If Dash were to wear dresses with glee or something, THAT'D be out of character.

• Brohoof 4

datte_request_v2_by_wize_kevn-d7hcnbq.png

^Click for my Deviant Art^

You truly are the Rosa Parks of not understanding what r34 is.

Yep yep

Love them to death

If anyone wants a link to the YouTube channel that has all of them for free, let me know

I highly recommend it

I disagree

With RD being stuck with Pinkie most of the time and AJ having her sister kidnapped, I'd be pretty damn grumpy as well. You would too, and you don't even have to be the bearer of the elements of harmony to feel that.

I even found them to be more endearing than usual, especially that Pinkie/RD interactions that always ended in Dash being exasperated as her already-short patience was zapped by Pinkie's nonsense

There's a giant difference between "out of character" and and "presenting a character with new challenges, and therefore, New interactions"

If Dash were to wear dresses with glee or something, THAT'D be out of character.

I need to read up on the Return of Queen Chrysalis arc some time again, but isn't Rainbow Dash one of the few ponies who enjoys Pinkie Pie's antics? Heck she's sometimes her partner in crime.

• Brohoof 1

Yep yep

Love them to death

I highly recommend it

I disagree

Uhn, do you have any input on the Cutie Mark Crusaders too?

And I really don't know, I don't remember Rainbow Dash ever being that grumpy with Pinkie Pie.

I do agree with you that I expressed myself poorly, but then again, during the shows we are presented with some really life threatening situations as well, where both Applejack and Rainbow Dash seems to be a lot more cooler than they were here, which was the only reason I said they were out of character, which, by the way, is the reason why I agree with what Nuke87654 said over here.

Anyway, I do respect your opinion and won't try to change it at all, so let us just agree to disagree :)

EDIT: @Nuke87654 just made a lot of sense on his post above mine

Edited by Caleb Rosengard
  • Brohoof 1

FEAR is a CAGE:

Sister Sarah - Chapter 39, The Fall of the Masked Gala (my book is coming soon!!!)

Uhn, do you have any input on the Cutie Mark Crusaders too?

I liked them

It added humor to the whole "kidnapping" situation

They acted how I think they'd act under said circumstances, I don't see the problem.

It was especially funny how they kept annoying Chrysalis with their dumb banter

I need to read up on the Return of Queen Chrysalis arc some time again, but isn't Rainbow Dash one of the few ponies who enjoys Pinkie Pie's antics? Heck she's sometimes her partner in crime.

During the whole suit thing, when they're separated in the forest
  • Brohoof 1

The early ones are quite fun, the quality goes all over the place from there. I haven't read the entire main series, and frankly I would be doubtful about the micro series. I am still awaiting a complete compendium otherwise I read them on mah phone.

sig-18793.ComicConReviews.png

I liked them

They acted how I think they'd act under said circumstances, I don't see the problem.

I get it that you liked, it was indeed rather funny, my problem with it is that those characters, although they're really in a quest for their cutie marks, they tend to forget it when they're in the face of danger, just like any human being, you can see this in any episode where there is threat in Ponyville or when one of the Crusaders is having trouble: they don't go all like "Oh! Maybe I can get a Cutie Mark in getting myself in trouble!" they actually try to solve their problem, and I don't see they doing it in the comic.

The way it was done, for me, felt like they were in no danger at all, or if they were, they didn't realize it, which is my issue with them here.

• Brohoof 1

FEAR is a CAGE:

I liked them

During the whole suit thing, when they're separated in the forest

I read it up, and it seems you're correct as I didn't found RD really ooc with her anger at that scene, heck she seemed more anxious about heading to the castle more than anything. I'm sorry for my mistake.

• Brohoof 1

I read it up, and it seems you're correct as I didn't found RD really ooc with her anger at that scene, heck she seemed more anxious about heading to the castle more than anything. I'm sorry for my mistake.

Yarp, no problem

Can't be expected to remember every little detail from some comic book, eh?

I get it that you liked, it was indeed rather funny, my problem with it is that those characters, although they're really in a quest for their cutie marks, they tend to forget it when they're in the face of danger, just like any human being, you can see this in any episode where there is threat in Ponyville or when one of the Crusaders is having trouble: they don't go all like "Oh! Maybe I can get a Cutie Mark in getting myself in trouble!" they actually try to solve their problem, and I don't see they doing it in the comic.

The way it was done, for me, felt like they were in no danger at all, or if they were, they didn't realize it, which is my issue with them here.

Dunno what show you're watching...But Those fillies aren't the smartest talking horses around.
  • Brohoof 1

I took the plunge a while ago and bought all the graphic novels. I like the comics a lot actually. I think they're consistent with the show in terms of quality, with a couple of exceptions. I didn't much care for Rainbowdash's Micro Issue and the first issue of Friends Forever with Applejack and Pinkie Pie isn't what it's advertised to be, even though I admit it has its moments. I love the first two story arcs in the main comic and enjoyed the silly two-parters in volume 3. I also enjoyed volume 4 for what it's worth, and think the Bookworm Saga might be my favorite arc yet. I like almost all of the Micro Series, with one notable exception, and even it has its moments. Friends Forever was off to a rocky start IMHO, but I read issue 2 last night, and like that one a lot. Here's hoping issues 3 and 4 are more in line with that.

Dunno what show you're watching...But Those fillies aren't the smartest talking horses around.

But dumb enough to actually not take the fact they're being held prisoner by the same Queen who just recently tried to take over Equestria and killed a creature right in front of them as seriously as they should? I may have been wrong with RD and AJ's behavior in the arc, and I'm probably biased against Katie Cook, but this isn't the last time we see the CMC's being too single minded about their cutie mark quest as we see it in the Big Mac and the FF# 8 arc.

Edited by Nuke87654
  • Brohoof 1

But dumb enough to actually not take the fact they're being held prisoner by the same Queen who just recently tried to take over Equestria but the fact she killed a creature right in front of them? I may have been wrong with RD and AJ's behavior in the arc, and I'm probably biased against Katie Cook, but this isn't the last time we see the CMC's being too single minded about their cutie mark quest as we see it in the Big Mac and the FF# 8 arc.

You also have to know that you are reading a comic not watching the show. Also have you seem the show? All the CMC do is talk about there cuti marks, I don't see anything out of the ordinary. It you want to complain why not complain about how the reflections ark was hard to understand. IDK mabie I am a little bias because I read the comics before I watched the show but I still think that at least with the CMC they are fine.

• Brohoof 1

Credit to Kiki

img-23852-1-post-18984-0-98301200-1417638455.png

You also have to know that you are reading a comic not watching the show. Also have you seem the show? All the CMC do is talk about there cuti marks, I don't see anything out of the ordinary. It you want to complain why not complain about how the reflections ark was hard to understand. IDK mabie I am a little bias because I read the comics before I watched the show but I still think that at least with the CMC they are fine.

The comics consider themselves as and are part of the series canon so why should I not judge it so.

True, especially in the earlier parts of the series, but they're now trying to develop the CMC to be more than that if their individual episodes and Twilight Time have anything to say about it. It's simply a point I've found with how the CMC behave under Katie's writing as I'm agreeing a point with Caleb. However, this can also be my dislike for Katie Cook acting up so I'm probably being too harsh on her when others have done it and she hasn't taken a real crack at writing them either.

I'm the lead hater for the reflections arc. The biggest reason why it's hard to understand was because the story was poorly thought out in the simplest explanation. For more reasons, I have multiple reviews of it in my comic review blog.

Edited by Nuke87654
  • Brohoof 1

The comics consider themselves as and are part of the series canon so why should I not judge it so.

True, especially in the earlier parts of the series, but they're now trying to develop the CMC to be more than that if their individual episodes and Twilight Time have anything to say about it. It's simply a point I've found with how the CMC behave under Katie's writing as I'm agreeing a point with Caleb. However, this can also be my dislike for Katie Cook acting up so I'm probably being too harsh on her when others have done it and she hasn't taken a real crack at writing them either.

I'm the lead hater for the reflections arc. The biggest reason why it's hard to understand was because the story was poorly thought out in the simplest explanation. For more reasons, I have multiple reviews of it in my comic review blog.

Granted but you are complaining about the first ark and how the CMC acted. That was in the time frame the the CMC would have still acted like that in the real show. And BTW no matter how many times people tell me I refuse to believe the comics are canon. I will not believe that the princess had a love interest with sombra.
  • Brohoof 1

Credit to Kiki

img-23852-1-post-18984-0-98301200-1417638455.png

But dumb enough to actually not take the fact they're being held prisoner by the same Queen who just recently tried to take over Equestria but the fact she killed a creature right in front of them? I may have been wrong with RD and AJ's behavior in the arc, and I'm probably biased against Katie Cook, but this isn't the last time we see the CMC's being too single minded about their cutie mark quest as we see it in the Big Mac and the FF# 8 arc.

My point exactly.

You also have to know that you are reading a comic not watching the show. Also have you seem the show? All the CMC do is talk about there cuti marks, I don't see anything out of the ordinary.

While it is true that the Cutie Mark Crusaders talk a whole lot about their cutie marks on the show, they can totally ignore the quest for them while something actually big is happening, take an example the episode three of season four, where they're trying to make it to the opening of the Olympics, but Diamond Tiara makes Scootaloo believes she will suck for not being able to fly.

During the entire conflict Scootaloo is having, no cutie mark crusader mentions "getting a cutie mark for helping friends" while trying to help Scootaloo, they are actually trying to cope with her and later help her.

Only when the entire situation is over, the cutie marks conversation comes back.

I believe the same should have happening in the comics, it just doesn't make sense to face an evil queen and discuss the cutie marks, unless you think being kept hostage by the woman who defeated Celestia isn't a big deal at all.

While I do believe they're not the smartest ponies (if they were, they'd have figured out their cutie marks some episodes ago), I also don't believe they're dumb to the point of ignoring the danger they are in.

FEAR is a CAGE:

Granted but you are complaining about the first ark and how the CMC acted. That was in the time frame the the CMC would have still acted like that in the real show. And BTW no matter how many times people tell me I refuse to believe the comics are canon. I will not believe that the princess had a love interest with sombra.

That's why I believe I'm giving too much attention to this as it was early in the series, Katie hasn't done an issue that focuses on them, and frankly she hasn't done them a terrible job with them either.

I hate it too, but until DHX have Celestia saying she never had a love life, it's canon.

My point exactly.

While it is true that the Cutie Mark Crusaders talk a whole lot about their cutie marks on the show, they can totally ignore the quest for them while something actually big is happening, take an example the episode three of season four, where they're trying to make it to the opening of the Olympics, but Diamond Tiara makes Scootaloo believes she will suck for not being able to fly.

During the entire conflict Scootaloo is having, no cutie mark crusader mentions "getting a cutie mark for helping friends" while trying to help Scootaloo, they are actually trying to cope with her and later help her.

Only when the entire situation is over, the cutie marks conversation comes back.

You do know this is WAAY before that character development, right?

The Chrusalis arcs are pretty old

• Brohoof 3

Personally, I'd highly recommend them. 

There's times I'd consider them almost BETTER than the actual show because they're not afraid to take a more serious tone and tell more serious stories(like the Nightmare Rarity arc).

Al

The ones to avoid:

1. Nightmare Rarity (four parts)
  2. My Little Pirate: Friendship Ahoy (two parts)
  3. Reflections (four parts)
  4. Twilight, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Applejack, and Spike micros
  5. Friends Forever #1 (AJ & Pinkie)

I think the only one I can agree with being "off" is the Rainbow Dash comic(the dialog was just weird like it was written by someone with a barely passable grip on the English language)

I personally LOVED the Nightmare Rarity arc and I haven't read reflections yet(Though I have all four here and it looks promising) 

• Brohoof 2

"You know, I don't know who or what you are Methos, and I know you don't want to hear this, but you did teach me something. You taught me that Life's about change, about learning to accept who you are, good or bad. And I thank you for that."

-Duncan McLeod.

You do know this is WAAY before that character development, right?

The Chrusalis arcs are pretty old

I guess you have my back against the walls here.

• Brohoof 1

FEAR is a CAGE:

I personally LOVED the Nightmare Rarity arc

:confused: 

Just because you liked it doesn't mean it needs to be recommended. It destroyed characterization, paced itself terribly, had wooden dialogue, and took one of the most 3-dimensional characters of the show and make her a 1D villain with an already used concept that failed to make it original in any sense and just gave her the most troped lines imaginable. 

I mean, they couldn't even be original with the main plot point, which was the villain. It was just a recycled concept used on a new character :confused: Lazy, LAZY writing right there.

It also pretty much made Rainbow Dash the pony equivalent of Scrappy Do a couple of times, which was pretty...fucking annoying. 

You do like it, and that's fine, but I really don't think it should be recommended to people wanting to get into the comics, because the general consensus is that it sucks, and even fans of NMR have said it sucked. You KNOW it's a special kind of bad when people who enjoyed it say it sucked. It's kind of like the comic equivalent of Tommy Wiseau's "The Room" - it sucked. It sucked really, really bad. It did so in a way that some found entertaining, and of course, some liked it legitimately.

Overall, though, most people dislike it. It's just a frequent point of discussion because it made a mane 6 character a villain. Just because it's often talked about doesn't make it popular, and it frequently receives harsh criticisms that I find totally justified, on a personal level.

I don't think it'd be a good place to start if someone's just entering the comics, and I usually recommend skipping that arc entirely unless you're torrenting it.  

The comics are VERY hit and miss, by the way. Either they're just as good - if not better - than the show itself, or they suck so bad that they get near-universal hate and people don't even want to consider it to tie in to the FiM universe. Either knocks it out of the park or swings and misses at a pitch in the dirt, essentially.

• Brohoof 2

CpYKgl1.png

He who is Positively Obsessed With All Things Rarity!!!

"Not everyone who is pretty is necessarily beautiful. For those two to come together is truly a Rarity"

-Jacob G. Rosenberg

Signature by @FadedSkies

:confused: 

Just because you liked it doesn't mean it needs to be recommended. It destroyed characterization, paced itself terribly, had wooden dialogue, and took one of the most 3-dimensional characters of the show and make her a 1D villain with an already used concept that failed to make it original in any sense and just gave her the most troped lines imaginable. 

I mean, they couldn't even be original with the main plot point, which was the villain. It was just a recycled concept used on a new character :confused: Lazy, LAZY writing right there.

It also pretty much made Rainbow Dash the pony equivalent of Scrappy Do a couple of times, which was pretty...fucking annoying. 

You do like it, and that's fine, but I really don't think it should be recommended to people wanting to get into the comics, because the general consensus is that it sucks, and even fans of NMR have said it sucked. You KNOW it's a special kind of bad when people who enjoyed it say it sucked. It's kind of like the comic equivalent of Tommy Wiseau's "The Room" - it sucked. It sucked really, really bad. It did so in a way that some found entertaining, and of course, some liked it legitimately.

Overall, though, most people dislike it. It's just a frequent point of discussion because it made a mane 6 character a villain. Just because it's often talked about doesn't make it popular, and it frequently receives harsh criticisms that I find totally justified, on a personal level.

I don't think it'd be a good place to start if someone's just entering the comics, and I usually recommend skipping that arc entirely unless you're torrenting it.  

The comics are VERY hit and miss, by the way. Either they're just as good - if not better - than the show itself, or they suck so bad that they get near-universal hate and people don't even want to consider it to tie in to the FiM universe. Either knocks it out of the park or swings and misses at a pitch in the dirt, essentially.

and didn't think ANY of those things about it and could probably contest them all if you went back and read it again for reference.

Opinions are not God and taste is subjective, there's also such things as nit-picking and bias(either because you love or hate Rarity which seems to be to common extremes within the fandom)

"You know, I don't know who or what you are Methos, and I know you don't want to hear this, but you did teach me something. You taught me that Life's about change, about learning to accept who you are, good or bad. And I thank you for that."

-Duncan McLeod.

and didn't think ANY of those things about it and could probably contest them all if you went back and read it again for reference.

Alright, then. Contest me. Where was the comic good? What specific parts did you like about it?

• Brohoof 1

CpYKgl1.png

"Not everyone who is pretty is necessarily beautiful. For those two to come together is truly a Rarity"

-Jacob G. Rosenberg

Signature by @FadedSkies

Alright, then. Contest me. Where was the comic good? What specific parts did you like about it?

You're going to have to give me time to read it again(or at least check it's TVtropes page) to refresh my memory.

I can say right now I like how it had emotional moments and wasn't afraid to be truly sad and bleak(because a happy ending is much more meaningful and powerful if the characters have to earn it, thus contrasting sadness with joy and bringing out the full effects of both)

I also like how it developed Rarity more by showing her weakness and inner-most fears(feeling useless and having someone else take her place, thus depraving her of having someone to give for, thus pounding home how significant generosity is to her and why that element chose her)  

• Brohoof 1

-Duncan McLeod.

You're going to have to give me time to read it again(or at least check it's TVtropes page) to refresh my memory.

I can say right now I like how it had emotional moments and wasn't afraid to be truly sad and bleak(because a happy ending is much more meaningful and powerful if the characters have to earn it, thus contrasting sadness with joy and bringing out the full effects of both)

I also like how it developed Rarity more by showing her weakness and inner-most fears(feeling useless and having someone else take her place, thus depraving her of having someone to give for, thus pounding home how significant generosity is to her and why that element chose her)  

Both reasonable praise, even though I disagree.

I found the arc itself lacking in much originality and being a bit bland, and the emotional moments didn't evoke the right emotions out of me and just made it feel either completely unenjoyable or totally awkward. The dialogue on NMR's part was troped, generic villain dialogue that was insultingly unoriginal and flat. There were a couple of moments when RD was trying to fight NMR that was almost exactly like Scrappy Do's "Lemme at 'em!" approach (I instantly thought of that character) and that was insulting to her character as well as lacking originality, as did most of the comic. The ending left me rubbing my temples and felt like it tied up no loose ends and only offered poorly executed development to all characters involved.

That's why I don't think it's a good entry point to the comic series. Characterization is shite and the dialogue sucks. The only redeeming parts for someone who's just starting off is that NMR has a cool design and it has plenty of darker elements to show the comics general tone in contrast with the series. Other than that, it's just mischaracterization, awkward emotions, wooden dialogue and a WHOLE lotta unoriginality that would really send off bad vibes to someone just starting off on the comics.

• Brohoof 1

CpYKgl1.png

-Jacob G. Rosenberg

Signature by @FadedSkies