Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are the MLP comics good?

They're very hit or miss as they do have certain issues (such as Pinkie Pie micro, CMC micro, etc) that exceed in many ways of what the show has shown of the ponies, while there are other issues (Reflections arc, Nightmare Rarity arc) that are much worse than most of the episodes of FIM and would easily be among the most terrible episodes of the show if they aired as part of FIM's cartoon instead of comic form.

Edited by Nuke87654
  • Brohoof 3

I own them all and love them!

I will say that if you are planning on getting some I would go with the mane series (friendship is magic) it is by far the best because some or the micros where really bad IE twilight, same with Friends Forever IE pinkie/Applejack. most of the Friendship is Magic series are good, some say that the reflection ark was bad but I enjoyed it. Anyway to make a long story short I would recommend them, in fact I like some of the arks better than the show.

• Brohoof 3

Altogether, they're pretty hit or miss. You have specific comics that are good, while others can be rival some of the worst episodes in the entire show if written for TV.

If you want to read ones that are worth your time, go to:

1. The Return of Queen Chrysalis (four parts)
  2. Zen and the Art of Gazebo Repair (two parts)
  3. Neigh Anything (two parts)
  4. Manehattan Mysteries (two parts)
  5. Rarity micro (avoid the mini story at the end if you don't like mean-spirited humor)
  6. Pinkie micro
  7. CMC micro
  8. Friends Forever #2 (CMCs & Discord)
  9. Friends Forever #4 (Twilight & Shining Armor)
  10. Friends Forever #5 (Zecora & Fluttershy)

The ones to avoid:

1. Nightmare Rarity (four parts)
  2. My Little Pirate: Friendship Ahoy (two parts)
  3. Reflections (four parts)
  4. Twilight, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Applejack, and Spike micros
  5. Friends Forever #1 (AJ & Pinkie)
  • Brohoof 2

I'd recommend them in a heartbeat. I mean, arcs like the Queen Chrysalis & Reflections arc are among the best the comics have to offer, while the Manehatten Mysteries & Big Mac arcs rival any slice of life episode the show has put out thus far.

Heck, even the Micro & FF series are good; with some exceptions. So yeah, I recommend them wholeheartedly!

• Brohoof 5

They're very hit or miss as they do have certain issues (such as Pinkie Pie micro, CMC micro, etc) that exceed in many ways of what the show has shown of the ponies, while there are other issues (Reflections arc, Nightmare Rarity arc) that are much worse than most of the episodes of FIM and would easily be among the most terrible episodes of the show if they aired as part of FIM's cartoon instead of comic form.

I completely agree.

and @Professor SnuSnu, on the whole the comics are really decent ... but some of the adventure arcs leave a lot to be desired (The Return of Queen Chrysalis was ok, but I had major issues with Reflections and Nightmare Rarity parts 1-3). The Slice of Life stories is where they tend to hit closer to the sweet spot for me.

:D

• Brohoof 3

I completely agree.

and @Professor SnuSnu, on the whole the comics are really decent ... but some of the adventure arcs leave a lot to be desired (The Return of Queen Chrysalis was ok, but I had major issues with Reflections and Nightmare Rarity parts 1-3). The Slice of Life stories is where they tend to hit closer to the sweet spot for me.

:D

More reasons to go read them ASAP. Unfortunately I have my summer job tomorrow and need to do stuff -sigh- responsibilities.

• Brohoof 1

I've heard really good things about the comics, and I've seen bits of the Reflections arc that make me really want to read them. The thing is that I can't get them in my country... sad.

Have you tried getting them online? I get all mine from comixology.

I myself think they're definitely as good as the show! I noticed the comics also appear to be aimed at a more adult public than the show at times. I think it really differs from person to person whether you like it. But I loved it!

• Brohoof 1

Haven't seen any, but from what I've seen, they look far better than the show.

As many others have said, the comics are really hit or miss as they're either propel the stars of the comics in a better and more awesome light then most of the episodes the show has done and would easily be among the best episodes of the show, or they make them even worse than most of the episodes of the show and would be part of the collection of terrible or mediocre episodes if they were episodes.

Also @Darker, how the hell are you a bird in only two days on this website!?

• Brohoof 1

I'd say get them! But try reading the ones recommended first! That way you'll at least start with what is seen as "good" to most (Thus avoiding most of the cruddy stuff until the end!) 

Enjoy the noncanon things, like alternate universe Celestia, alicorns, ect cx Oh! and changeling virus! <u<

As many others have said, the comics are really hit or miss as they're either propel the stars of the comics in a better and more awesome light then most of the episodes the show has done and would easily be among the best episodes of the show, or they make them even worse than most of the episodes of the show and would be part of the collection of terrible or mediocre episodes if they were episodes.

Also @Darker, how the hell are you a bird in only two days on this website!?

The Comics do look interesting, I might check them out.

Also, I've been here for about 4 days, actually.

The Comics do look interesting, I might check them out.

Also, I've been here for about 4 days, actually.

Alright, that's good to hear another comic reader.

I only need a couple more months to meet my year anniversary and I have less post counts than you :o

I'm rather impressed actually.

Edited by Nuke87654

Altogether, they're pretty hit or miss. You have specific comics that are good, while others can be rival some of the worst episodes in the entire show if written for TV.

If you want to read ones that are worth your time, go to:

1. The Return of Queen Chrysalis (four parts)
  2. Zen and the Art of Gazebo Repair (two parts)
  3. Neigh Anything (two parts)
  4. Manehattan Mysteries (two parts)
  5. Rarity micro (avoid the mini story at the end if you don't like mean-spirited humor)
  6. Pinkie micro
  7. CMC micro
  8. Friends Forever #2 (CMCs & Discord)
  9. Friends Forever #4 (Twilight & Shining Armor)
  10. Friends Forever #5 (Zecora & Fluttershy)

The ones to avoid:

1. Nightmare Rarity (four parts)
  2. My Little Pirate: Friendship Ahoy (two parts)
  3. Reflections (four parts)
  4. Twilight, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Applejack, and Spike micros
  5. Friends Forever #1 (AJ & Pinkie)

Following your advice, I read the entire Return of Queen Chrysalis, and I must say, while it has a really good art (although Twilight eyes and Fluttershy/Rainbow Dash's wings kinda of annoyed me) I don't like the feels that the characters pass through the comics

The following contains my opinion on The Return of Queen Chrysalis, it may contain spoilers.

All of them seemed much more dumb than in the show... and if not dumb, at least out of character, like some rage attacks that Applejack had that surely doesn't match her character, or the fact that the Cutie Mark Crusaders really kept on discussing about getting their cutie marks while being hostages to the queen... that feels just "off"

Rainbow Dash being so grumpy all the time is another thing that just seems wrong for me, along with Twilight feeling a little bit too easy to get annoyed at everybody else.

Pinkie Pie... I actually liked her a lot, mainly because of the costume and the way she figured out how to answer the Riddle (it was brilliant)

Now some highlights: Again, it is really beautiful and pleasant, and the amount of references to classic shows and famous memes is really well used, mainly when Rarity says "That escalated quickly..." and finishes the sentence with her own touch, it was delightful to see.

Another highlight is Rarity herself, she, in my opinion, was the best portrayed pony in this comic.

Edited because I didn't know how to do the "spoiler" thing

Edited by Caleb Rosengard
  • Brohoof 1

Following your advice, I read the entire Return of Queen Chrysalis, and I must say, while it has a really good art (although Twilight eyes and Fluttershy/Rainbow Dash's wings kinda of annoyed me) I don't like the feels that the characters pass through the comics

The following contains my opinion on The Return of Queen Chrysalis, it may contain spoilers.

All of them seemed much more dumb than in the show... and if not dumb, at least out of character, like some rage attacks that Applejack had that surely doesn't match her character, or the fact that the Cutie Mark Crusaders really kept on discussing about getting their cutie marks while being hostages to the queen... that feels just "off"

Rainbow Dash being so grumpy all the time is another thing that just seems wrong for me, along with Twilight feeling a little bit too easy to get annoyed at everybody else.

Pinkie Pie... I actually liked her a lot, mainly because of the costume and the way she figured out how to answer the Riddle (it was brilliant)

Now some highlights: Again, it is really beautiful and pleasant, and the amount of references to classic shows and famous memes is really well used, mainly when Rarity says "That escalated quickly..." and finishes the sentence with her own touch, it was delightful to see.

Another highlight is Rarity herself, she, in my opinion, was the best portrayed pony in this comic.

Edited because I didn't know how to do the "spoiler" thing

To point out, Rainbow Dash and Applejack are two of the weakest characters for Katie Cook as she either makes them one note caricatures or makes them grumpy and angry because they're tomboys. Her portrayal of AJ in the latest Friends Forever was her best portrayal of AJ because AJ actually had a reason to be upset at Rarity's behavior and how urgent she needed to go to their destination and she actually had AJ be more than simply angry at Rarity when she had her and AJ have fun for a bit.

As for Twilight, well I didn't like of how Twilight managed to beat Chrysalis thanks to a power boost when her far more powerful teacher couldn't do so. Other than that, her little subplot in Reflections was one of the few things I liked about that terrible arc as no other character portrayals were anywhere near as terrible as what Katie did to Celestia in that arc.

CMC's that I can whole heartily agree to, in fact she seems to show them off as simply one note 'find our cutie mark' gags rather than characters whenever she writes them.

Your reasons along with others I've read has lead me to believe Katie's biggest weakness as a MLP writer is that she's not that good when it comes to writing characterization for characters in the show, save perhaps Pinkie Pie, course that could be because Pinkie Pie represents Kaitie's strongest suit as a writer, her humor, so it would be obvious she would bond with Pinkie Pie the best out of all the characters.

Edited by Nuke87654
  • Brohoof 1

To point out, Rainbow Dash and Applejack are two of the weakest characters for Katie Cook as she either makes them one note caricatures or makes them grumpy and angry because they're tomboys. Her portrayal of AJ in the latest Friends Forever was her best portrayal of AJ because AJ actually had a reason to be upset at Rarity's behavior and how urgent she needed to go to their destination and she actually had AJ be more than simply angry at Rarity when she had her and AJ have fun for a bit.

As for Twilight, well I didn't like of how Twilight managed to beat Chrysalis thanks to a power boost when her far more powerful teacher couldn't do so. Other than that, her little subplot in Reflections was one of the few things I liked about that terrible arc as no other character portrayals were anywhere near as terrible as what Katie did to Celestia in that arc.

CMC's that I can whole heartily agree to, in fact she seems to show them off as simply one note 'find our cutie mark' gags rather than characters whenever she writes them.

Your reasons along with others I've read has lead me to believe Katie's biggest weakness as a MLP writer is that she's not that good when it comes to writing characterization for characters in the show, save perhaps Pinkie Pie, course that could be because Pinkie Pie represents Kaitie's strongest suit as a writer, her humor, so it would be obvious she would bond with Pinkie Pie the best out of all the characters.

Thank you for your very well written answer, I had completely forgotten about the overpower boost Twilight had: That was  a REALLY edgy final : there should have been AT LEAST a fight, like there was on the finale of the 4th season, not to mention Celestia... I'm honestly afraid of reading the others

Would you suggest any other comic?

PS.: Since it looks like you may answer me, I will ask: Is there any really good fan fiction out there, besides Past Sins? I'm really willing to read some more good material.

Edited by Caleb Rosengard
  • Brohoof 1

Thank you for your very well written answer, I had completely forgotten about the overpower boost Twilight had: That was  a REALLY edgy final : there should have been AT LEAST a fight, like there was on the finale of the 4th season, not to mention Celestia... I'm honestly afraid of reading the others

Would you suggest any other comic?

PS.: Since it looks like you may answer me, I will ask: Is there any really good fan fiction out there, besides Past Sins? I'm really willing to read some more good material.

No problem and thank you for your compliment.

Yea, let's put it like this with the Reflections arc, you thought Meghan Mccarthy was bad at writing romance between characters like Twilight with Flash, Katie's romance with Celestia and AU Sombra made Mccarthy's romance writings look awesome in comparison. Don't read it or be prepared to rage at how bad that arc is.

I haven't been into reading fanfics so I'm not a good source on that.