Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should I read the MLP comics?

VerderaPon3

The official comics are amazing. The FiM series is better than the show, at alot of points. And all the fun little easter eggs lol. Plus the stories are better imo.

• Brohoof 3

I agree with Zhortac (awesome name btw), the comics are SO much better than the show. Still not great, but the art style there is very good.

Edited by Darker

Short answer: Yes

Long answer: The main series, in my opinion, is consistently good. Friends forever is usually good, but has some stinkers. Be careful with the micro series, I find that most of them are kinda bad. Exceptions: Rarity, Luna, Pinkie

Absolutely. I actually admit I enjoy them more than the TV show. It gives the characters and the story much more depth and concept and the ideas in them are really interesting.

Get started with the main series and then read the rest. That's what I would do.

I really like the comics. I read the graphic novels, and I may be a little behind on those(I'll have to double check the release dates), but I have read volumes 1-4, the Micro Series and Friends Forever Vol. 1. So far, there have only been a couple I don't care for. The first is Rainbowdash's Micro issue, and the second is Friends Forever #1. I think the comics are a great companion to the show. Not a requirement by any stretch, but I think they're more than worth checking out.

Short answer: Yes

Long answer: The main series, in my opinion, is consistently good. Friends forever is usually good, but has some stinkers. Be careful with the micro series, I find that most of them are kinda bad. Exceptions: Rarity, Luna, Pinkie

Celestia's micro comic isn't bad. It really shows, how much shit she deals with, because Canterlot houses alot of rich ass snobs, and she is nothing like that.

Well, I was pretty satisfied with all of the main series I've read so far (up to Cadance and Shinning Armor arc), the micro and FF on the other hand.... out of the micro I've read (Twily, Spikey, CMC, and Celly), I only liked Celly's, the others were meh. Friends Forevah, I've only read Pinkie's and AJ's, and that was by far, the worst pony issue so far (I bought the first volume though, I'll give it an eye soon). I recommend the Equestria Girls Annual too

I say go for it.

I've been pretty displeased with a lot of the main series, but I've also been very pleased with the FF series as a whole. It operates closer to the show than anything, while I get the feeling that much of the main series tries too hard to be more adult and edgy, essentially nullifying one of the things I love most about the show, and that's the innocence of it while maintaining complexity.

The FF series does a better job of it, but I can't help but think the show itself stomps a mudhole in the comics any day of the week.

• Brohoof 3

I'd recommend it. The Main Series of comics has been consistently excellent with no disappointments thus far.

Aside from the first issue the FF series has been great to; though the tone is a lot lighter. The Micro series is fine overall, but the Dash issue was by far one of the worst things I ever read.

I'll also give a resounding yes! Sure some comics are better than others, just like some episodes are better than others, but in the end it's all new material to add to the FiM universe. Besides, I don't think any of the comics I've read so far (Up to issue 6 in the main series, up to 5 in FF, and all the micros) have been particularly cringe-worthy, even if some were clearly much much better than others.

I will say though, that you should keep in mind when buying comics that the main series follows multi-comic arcs, while friends forever and the micros are all stand-alone

• Brohoof 2

Go for it! :D

It has interesting stories, gives all kinds of shout outs & callbacks to the fans, throws in extra elements to the wide and varied world of Equestria, and does things the Show just can't or won't do. I for one really like how it give some much needed depth & personality to underused characters like Celestia, Shining Armor, and Sunset Shimmer.

At the very least it'll give you some extra entertainment. :)

• 5 weeks later...