Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology The Glorious PC master race thread

Yourmomsponies

Does anyone know what is required of your cpu to run PS2 games at 60 fps?

I thought it was around 3.5Ghz

anyone know of some good 3.5GHz processors that are compatible with Gigabyte motherboards (I think all the AMDs are ok but not sure)

anyone know of some good 3.5GHz processors that are compatible with Gigabyte motherboards (I think all the AMDs are ok but not sure)

That depends, is it an Intel or AMD socket?

My Glorious Laptop specs:
Model:Toshiba Satellite L305D

-Integrated Graphics 256MB memory ATI Radeon 3100

-1.9GHz AMD Athlon x2 (dual core)

-Some generic Toshiba motherboard

-3Gb RAM

Few keys missing. Power button missing (need to use a small piece of plastic to turn it on.)
Internal screen is cracked and has black stuff leaking out of it.
My battery is dead. If AC Adapter gets unplugged, it abruptly powers off.

What I play on this thingamabob?

League of Legends (IGN: OdinLegend | Gold 3)
Minecraft (IGN: Heinz0r | server: play.ponymc.com)
Hearthstone (IGN: Swarthy | NA server)

here's a pic of it:

xG84KqY.jpg

isn't it beautiful?

vTMcCfd.gif

Edited by Heinz
  • Brohoof 2

I chose the FX-3820(eight core running at 3.5/4.0GHz with Turbo) for $150, the FX-6300 has similar speeds in a six-core for $100.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. 

• Brohoof 1

My Glorious Laptop specs:

Model:Toshiba Satellite L305D

-Integrated Graphics 256MB memory ATI Radeon 3100

-1.9GHz AMD Athlon x2 (dual core)

-Some generic Toshiba motherboard

-3Gb RAM

Few keys missing. Power button missing (need to use a small piece of plastic to turn it on.)

Internal screen is cracked and has black stuff leaking out of it.

My battery is dead. If AC Adapter gets unplugged, it abruptly powers off.

What I play on this thingamabob?

League of Legends (IGN: OdinLegend | Gold 3)

Minecraft (IGN: Heinz0r | server: play.ponymc.com)

Hearthstone (IGN: Swarthy | NA server)

here's a pic of it:

xG84KqY.jpg

isn't it beautiful?

vTMcCfd.gif

Glorious fellow pc brother!

• Brohoof 1

My dad was a bit more proficient than I thought and was able to successfully install the video card... But then when plugging in the computer, we found out that the monitor needs an adapter to connect to it.

Why must be PC gaming be soooo darn complicated? I just wanted to play my game today! And now I'm stuck on my laptop until this evening when we hopefully get it figured out. >.<

Oh yeah, I forgot, specs!

• Intel Core i7-3630QM @ 2.40GHz
  • nVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M w/ 2GB VRAM
  • 16GB DDR3-1600 RAM
  • 750GB Hitachi TravelStar 7200RPM hard drive
  • 1TB Hitachi Travelstar 7200RPM hard drive
  • Windows 8.1 x64

And my future PC, a more glorious desktop, will have:

• Intel Core i5-4690K @ 3.5GHz
  • Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2
  • Swiftech H220/custom loop water cooler (haven't decided yet)
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 760 Dual SC w/2GB VRAM
  • 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws X DDR3-1866 RAM
  • 256GB Crucial MX100 SSD
  • 1TB Western Digital Black 7200RPM hard drive
  • Windows 8.1 x64

Bro even my upgraded Imac is more powerful than that. You need an i7 quad core 3.5 ghz not an i5 and a 780 4gb not a 760. And Ram is cheap I have 32gb. This is apple prices so for gaming on PC it will be a fraction of that.

You need an i7 quad core 3.5 ghz not an i5 and a 780 4gb not a 760.
 The i5-4690K is basically an i7-4790K, but without hyperthreading and a 500MHz slower clock speed. An i7 is not needed unless you do things that can take advantage of the extra threads like video editing and Photoshop, neither of which I do. As for the GPU, the 780 only came in 3GB or 6GB configurations, I think you're confusing it with the 970 or 980, which come standard with 4GB configs. I've been thinking about getting a 970, but for now I'm gonna stick with the 760. Which is still good for gaming, mind you.
  • Brohoof 3

The i5-4690K is basically an i7-4790K, but without hyperthreading and a 500MHz slower clock speed. An i7 is not needed unless you do things that can take advantage of the extra threads like video editing and Photoshop, neither of which I do. As for the GPU, the 780 only came in 3GB or 6GB configurations, I think you're confusing it with the 970 or 980, which come standard with 4GB configs. I've been thinking about getting a 970, but for now I'm gonna stick with the 760. Which is still good for gaming, mind you.

The GTX 780 has 4gb not 2gb. The 880 and 980 are pointless right now as they don't give you more than about 2 or 3 frames extra performance. The 780 already gives you 60fps+ as is. The i7 is for future proofing games are more CPU intensive now then ever I'm thinking 2 years from now. I'm more on console these days due to being JRPG fan but if you're reliant on Pc you need a build that can give you everything maxed out in the future. Otherwise might as well stick to console and get medium settings and low resolution. Just my 2 bits. Also RAM just get 32gb or at least 16gb. I know people who have spent £4,500 about $7,000 on pc builds and have only 8gb ram. They know full well they scrimped on ram and I don't understand why, other than maybe Hard drive space it's the cheapest addition and it will give you years of value.

Edited by PinkiusPiecus

The GTX 780 has 4gb not 2gb. The 880 and 980 are pointless right now as they don't give you more than about 2 or 3 frames extra performance. The 780 already gives you 60fps+ as is. The i7 is for future proofing games are more CPU intensive now then ever I'm thinking 2 years from now. I'm more on console these days due to being JRPG fan but if you're reliant on Pc you need a build that can give you everything maxed out in the future. Otherwise might as well stick to console and get medium settings and low resolution. Just my 2 bits.

>Games are more CPU intensive now then ever

Skyrim, The Evil Within, Kerbal Space Program and so many other games do not use more than one core. An i5-4690K is still a quad-core, btw, and it's overclockable in case I need more power.

>GTX 780 has 4gb not 2gb

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=GTX+780&N=-1&isNodeId=1

Only seeing cards with 3GB RAM.

Also, you seem to be forgetting that I am not rich. $1100 is the most I can spend on a PC and my PC as it is fits that budget, and even with that budget I still have trouble building up money as I have no real income.

• Brohoof 2

>Games are more CPU intensive now then ever

Skyrim, The Evil Within, Kerbal Space Program and so many other games do not use more than one core. An i5-4690K is still a quad-core, btw, and it's overclockable in case I need more power.

>GTX 780 has 4gb not 2gb

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=GTX+780&N=-1&isNodeId=1

Only seeing cards with 3GB RAM.

Also, you seem to be forgetting that I am not rich. $1100 is the most I can spend on a PC and my PC as it is fits that budget, and even with that budget I still have trouble building up money as I have no real income.

Skyrim is old and optimized to scale. Look at the specs needed to max out Crysis 3 your current build would just about do it. look up gtx 780 4gb ddr5. There are many variations. But in any case it's your choice.

Skyrim is old and optimized to scale. Look at the specs needed to max out Crysis 3 your current build would just about do it. look up gtx 780 4gb ddr5. There are many variations. But in any case it's your choice.

As I said, the GTX 780 comes in either 3GB or 6GB configs. The only one that does come with 4GB is the mobile GTX 780. I'm also aiming for 1080p and not to max out Crysis 3 in 1440p or some shit, so the GTX 760 is fine.

• Brohoof 2

As I said, the GTX 780 comes in either 3GB or 6GB configs. The only one that does come with 4GB is the mobile GTX 780. I'm also aiming for 1080p and not to max out Crysis 3 in 1440p or some shit, so the GTX 760 is fine.

>Being a Pc Gamer

>Not maxing everything out

Well okay then.

>Being a Pc Gamer

Well okay then.

The PC is not about running everything maxed out, it's about having the best experience. I'd rather have a higher frame rate than shinier graphics.

• Brohoof 2

The PC is not about running everything maxed out, it's about having the best experience. I'd rather have a higher frame rate than shinier graphics.

Same here, I will gladly run a game on barely passable settings if it means running it smooth(hello, Minecraft with everything cranked down and the render distance set to normal)

The GTX 780 has 4gb not 2gb. The 880 and 980 are pointless right now as they don't give you more than about 2 or 3 frames extra performance. The 780 already gives you 60fps+ as is. The i7 is for future proofing games are more CPU intensive now then ever I'm thinking 2 years from now. I'm more on console these days due to being JRPG fan but if you're reliant on Pc you need a build that can give you everything maxed out in the future. Otherwise might as well stick to console and get medium settings and low resolution. Just my 2 bits. Also RAM just get 32gb or at least 16gb. I know people who have spent £4,500 about $7,000 on pc builds and have only 8gb ram. They know full well they scrimped on ram and I don't understand why, other than maybe Hard drive space it's the cheapest addition and it will give you years of value.

and I'm pushing it spending around $760 including the monitor on my build, not all of us have massive incomes and can drop $2000 on a build and keep pumping money in like it's nothing. 

• Brohoof 2

>The best experience

>Not maxed out

Yeah okay, if I wanted low resolutions and hardware that would give me under 60fps within 2 years I'd go with console. Oh wait.

>Being a Pc Gamer

Well okay then.

Yet PC gamers always turn around and hate on the "filthy peasant" consoles because they're so outdated and can't run graphics on par with the PC's best.

Yet PC gamers always turn around and hate on the "filthy peasant" consoles because they're so outdated and can't run graphics on par with the PC's best.

This is why I game on all systems with a high end computer just being one of them. That and console exclusives.

>The best experience

>Not maxed out

Yeah okay, if I wanted low resolutions and hardware that would give me under 60fps within 2 years I'd go with console. Oh wait.

Okay, if you want some games maxed out, here ya go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbMgLmWClT4

The GTX 760 is fine for maxing out games in 1080p. I have a 1080p monitor.

• Brohoof 2

>The best experience

>Not maxed out

You do realize that attitude is why PC gaming is a laughing-stock on much of the internet, right? That kind of elitism turns a lot of people off of it putting the time and effort into building a proper gaming setup and giving serious PC gaming a shot. 

Okay, if you want some games maxed out, here ya go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbMgLmWClT4

The GTX 760 is fine for maxing out games in 1080p. I have a 1080p monitor.

Honestly, even 720p would be fine at PC monitor sizes. 

• Brohoof 2

You do realize that attitude is why PC gaming is a laughing-stock on much of the internet, right? That kind of elitism turns a lot of people off of it putting the time and effort into building a proper gaming setup and giving serious PC gaming a shot. 

This, so much this. Cut the "LOL you're not a PC gamer unless you spend $4000 on a PC and have the best hardware and can max out everything in 1440p!" bullshit, please.

Taken directly from /r/pcmasterrace:

"You don't need a top-of-the-line gaming PC to be a member of the Master Race."

Also, there's this flying around the PC gaming community:

"It is not about the hardware that you hold in your hands, but the software you hold in your heart."

• Brohoof 2

This, so much this. Cut the "LOL you're not a PC gamer unless you spend $4000 on a PC and have the best hardware and can max out everything in 1440p!" bullshit, please.

Taken directly from /r/pcmasterrace:

"You don't need a top-of-the-line gaming PC to be a member of the Master Race."

Also, there's this flying around the PC gaming community:

"It is not about the hardware that you hold in your hands, but the software you hold in your heart."

Yeah, I saw some dude get trashed for being an elitist in there because he went on a long-winded rant about how people that paid to have someone build it for them or went with cheap builds weren't real PC gamers.