technology The Glorious PC master race thread

Yourmomsponies

Hmmm... This thread smells like home - which reminds me I have to swap my PSU out. I've been putting it off for a month or so.

Note to everyone - unless you LIKE small, for the love of GabeN, don't smish your precious components into a small form factor case. It's almost impossible to work on enjoyably. 

5bV35Nx.png

A lot of gaming engines(especially on non-FPS titles) seem to lock at around 62 no matter what. I've been playing Arkham Asylum and it sticks around there even though I have Vsync off and a GPU that would've been really high-end back in 2009 when it came out. 

I'd still like to know what horrible bit of code makes those Scarecrow levels break the game and slow it to a crawl. 

You have issues with the scarecrow levels? Even on my bleh APU which doesn't really run the game at amazing quality and excellent framerate or anything hasn't had any issues from what I remember playing scarecrow levels. I don't remember exact numbers for what I normally run in contrast to the scarecrow levels, but I can tell you it wasn't anything noticable enough for me to remember.

I have not actually finished the game yet though, but I have gone through 2 scarecrow levels thus far, and noticed nothing, maybe it's some graphics effect you have turned on that I don't that gets intensified like crazy in scarecrow's levels? Otherwise I have no idea frankly.

Ru8aWjK.png

Thanks to Gone Airbourne for the awesome sig!

My Oc's,

Ponysona, Bella

You have issues with the scarecrow levels? Even on my bleh APU which doesn't really run the game at amazing quality and excellent framerate or anything hasn't had any issues from what I remember playing scarecrow levels. I don't remember exact numbers for what I normally run in contrast to the scarecrow levels, but I can tell you it wasn't anything noticable enough for me to remember.

I have not actually finished the game yet though, but I have gone through 2 scarecrow levels thus far, and noticed nothing, maybe it's some graphics effect you have turned on that I don't that gets intensified like crazy in scarecrow's levels? Otherwise I have no idea frankly.

I've heard a lot of complaints running those with PhysicX(which you wouldn't have because it's a Nvidia only feature) on breaks the game because they didn't optimize the effects well in those stages. 

"You know, I don't know who or what you are Methos, and I know you don't want to hear this, but you did teach me something. You taught me that Life's about change, about learning to accept who you are, good or bad. And I thank you for that."

-Duncan McLeod.

I've heard a lot of complaints running those with PhysicX(which you wouldn't have because it's a Nvidia only feature) on breaks the game because they didn't optimize the effects well in those stages. 

I wouldn't be surprised. I recall it running fairly poorly on a GTX 570 SLI back when Arkham Asylum came out. That being said, it and Borderlands are probably the two of the most PhysX-intensive games that I'm aware of. For the record, the massive framedrops I got in BL2 with my 670 are still happening to 9xx users. But not because of a lack of power.

Anyone know a good GPU I can use along with an AMD A10 7700K and an ASUS A88XM-A?

What's your budget?

Edited by Lunatic Envy

I wouldn't be surprised. I recall it running fairly poorly on a GTX 570 SLI back when Arkham Asylum came out. That being said, it and Borderlands are probably the two of the most PhysX-intensive games that I'm aware of. For the record, the massive framedrops I got in BL2 with my 670 are still happening to 9xx users. But not because of a lack of power.

What's your budget?

Sounds like PhysX was a poorly thought out feature(the fact you used to need a dedicated PhysX card to use it is pretty tell about how much of a resource hog it is)

"You know, I don't know who or what you are Methos, and I know you don't want to hear this, but you did teach me something. You taught me that Life's about change, about learning to accept who you are, good or bad. And I thank you for that."

-Duncan McLeod.

PhysX, at least in KSP and Mirror's Edge, has been fine for me. Haven't tried Borderlands 2 or Batman yet.

And on that note, PhysX in KSP (and other Unity games) is more for physics calculations rather than graphical effects. Still pretty demanding, but I'm betting that the CPU can handle those calculations fine enough.

Sounds like PhysX was a poorly thought out feature(the fact you used to need a dedicated PhysX card to use it is pretty tell about how much of a resource hog it is)

http://www.codercorner.com/blog/?p=1129

Interesting article... it seems that older verisions of PhysX (as those employed in AA and Borderlands) were poorly optimized, especially when running on a CPU. Could explain some of the performance drops that never seem to get better even with new hardware.

• Brohoof 1

http://www.codercorner.com/blog/?p=1129

Interesting article... it seems that older verisions of PhysX (as those employed in AA and Borderlands) were poorly optimized, especially when running on a CPU. Could explain some of the performance drops that never seem to get better even with new hardware.

That pretty much explains why I'm getting 55-60FPS fine any other time but those levels that abuse it tend to drop to 20FPS and below.

At any rate, I paid $10 for all three Arkham games in a bundle(which is pretty cheap) so a couple glitchy level don't bother me much. 

Edited by Shoboni

-Duncan McLeod.

What's your budget?

250 US dollars. (Hoefully, I can have the rest of my 300 for a drawing tablet to make art with.)

Edited by (MLG)xX_KILOBYTE_Xx

out of my swamp

250 US dollars. (Hoefully, I can have the rest of my 300 for a drawing tablet to make art with.)

If you're willing to scan Slickdeals for a sale or rebate, R9 290s can be had for $200-250 and are easily the most powerful card you can get for that money.

Otherwise R9 280X.

If you can swing closer to 300ish, GTX 970.

If you can wait until January for the GTX 960 to drop, there's always that.

If anyone liked those old Commandos RTS games, BS has all four of them plus two more games from Pyro Interactive for $2.29(hurry though, only 29 hours left):

http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/pyro-bundle/

Edited by Shoboni

-Duncan McLeod.

PCs suck. That's an end to it.

MLP. Home sweet home. I forgot how nice the residents of Equestria could be. Anyone seen The Martian?

__       ____        ____                                             
 /'\_/`\/\ \     /\  _`\     /\  _`\                                           
/\      \ \ \    \ \ \L\ \   \ \ \L\_\___   _ __   __  __    ___ ___     ____  
\ \ \__\ \ \ \  __\ \ ,__/    \ \  _\/ __`\/\`'__\/\ \/\ \ /' __` __`\  /',__\ 
 \ \ \_/\ \ \ \L\ \\ \ \/      \ \ \/\ \L\ \ \ \/ \ \ \_\ \/\ \/\ \/\ \/\__, `\
  \ \_\\ \_\ \____/ \ \_\       \ \_\ \____/\ \_\  \ \____/\ \_\ \_\ \_\/\____/
   \/_/ \/_/\/___/   \/_/        \/_/\/___/  \/_/   \/___/  \/_/\/_/\/_/\/___/

Let me honor the great pain it must have taken you come into such hostile territory to make that shit-post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAlTOfl9F2w

• Brohoof 3

-Duncan McLeod.

Let me honor the great pain it must have taken you come into such hostile territory to make that shit-post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAlTOfl9F2w

Oh, why thank you. I knew someone would like it.

MLP. Home sweet home. I forgot how nice the residents of Equestria could be. Anyone seen The Martian?

__       ____        ____                                             
 /'\_/`\/\ \     /\  _`\     /\  _`\                                           
/\      \ \ \    \ \ \L\ \   \ \ \L\_\___   _ __   __  __    ___ ___     ____  
\ \ \__\ \ \ \  __\ \ ,__/    \ \  _\/ __`\/\`'__\/\ \/\ \ /' __` __`\  /',__\ 
 \ \ \_/\ \ \ \L\ \\ \ \/      \ \ \/\ \L\ \ \ \/ \ \ \_\ \/\ \/\ \/\ \/\__, `\
  \ \_\\ \_\ \____/ \ \_\       \ \_\ \____/\ \_\  \ \____/\ \_\ \_\ \_\/\____/
   \/_/ \/_/\/___/   \/_/        \/_/\/___/  \/_/   \/___/  \/_/\/_/\/_/\/___/

I just discovered a version of DeSmuMe (thanks Reddit), called DeSmuMe X432R that adds insane effects for antialiasing and upscaling the resolution. The difference is comparable to, let's say a PS1 to a PS2 or 1998 to 2004 PCs in terms of the gap.

Regular DS rendering:

RVKg2El.png

Enhanced X432R rendering:

d9IweNV.png

That game is Phantasy Star 0, by the way. An absolutely amazing game, really fun action RPG.

sig-17439.OZ3LNCw.png

I don't like you.

My OC's thus far: Feverfew

I just discovered a version of DeSmuMe (thanks Reddit), called DeSmuMe X432R that adds insane effects for antialiasing and upscaling the resolution. The difference is comparable to, let's say a PS1 to a PS2 or 1998 to 2004 PCs in terms of the gap.

Regular DS rendering:

img-3344057-1-RVKg2El.png

Enhanced X432R rendering:

img-3344057-2-d9IweNV.png

That game is Phantasy Star 0, by the way. An absolutely amazing game, really fun action RPG.

Links?

I've always been curious about emulating the modern handhelds but never tried it.

-Duncan McLeod.

Links?

I've always been curious about emulating the modern handhelds but never tried it.

Here's the link for that version of DeSmuMe: http://emulationrealm.net/downloads/file/3254-desmume-x432r

As for ROMs, you'll need to find those yourself, but Google is a safe bet, usually.

Also, note that to get the effects I have, you need to go into the 3D settings. You should be able to find it from the menus.

sig-17439.OZ3LNCw.png

I don't like you.

My OC's thus far: Feverfew

So, my local Walmart is selling Alienware. We've got a notebook,  the alpha. and I saw a desktop in the backroom where we keep backstock. I'm like, nobody's gonna buy them, because for one, they're overpriced, two, they're crap because Dell makes them, and there are many other options available at a better price, and value. And you know what else? They took out the Wii U display and put the Alpha, along with replacing the cabinet where they were kept. Who in their right mind would buy Alienware? 

You're, trolling right? 

• Brohoof 1