technology The Glorious PC master race thread

Yourmomsponies

1). Correct!

2). Ah I see ... well that makes sense. However, I take it that it would cost me a lot to utilize any graphics card that has better performance than Intel, right?

My old gaming laptop, with an Intel Core i7-3630QM and a nVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M, cost $1500, so if you want a lot of power, then you're gonna have to pay. But of course, that GPU isn't powerful anymore, but the processor still is.

1). Correct!

2). Ah I see ... well that makes sense. However, I take it that it would cost me a lot to utilize any graphics card that has better performance than Intel, right?

It's probably best to decide how much you are willing to spend and go from there. If you have a lower limit, like $500, you're gonna want something with an AMD APU in it, but to be honest -- while they're very nice for the money, I would highly recommend saving up a little bit more, especially if you plan to keep it a little longer.

Closer to a thousand, where you'll start to find the more capable laptops with better dedicated graphics.

My old gaming laptop, with an Intel Core i7-3630QM and a nVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M, cost $1500, so if you want a lot of power, then you're gonna have to pay. But of course, that GPU isn't powerful anymore, but the processor still is.

That is the problem with gaming laptops; it becomes outdated very quickly. It would be amazing if they became modular; even if it meant carrying around a device about as thick as PS4 I would want one.

• Brohoof 1

image.png.b5800dbd4a0f66541f23ae5455e704d7.png
Pony Art Thread

Brony since ~25 July of 2011.

That is the problem with gaming laptops; it becomes outdated very quickly. It would be amazing if they became modular; even if it meant carrying around a device about as thick as PS4 I would want one.

Yeah, I don't think I'll be getting any more gaming laptops now that I have this desktop.

img-3330043-1-9X6D4MI.png

Now that's more like it. Had to wait an entire day to do this.

I have an i7 4990k 3.50Ghz Quad core. I been telling people an i7 is the way to go for months and now games have started coming out with recommended specs of an i7. Called it. Time to upgrade.

sig-18793.ComicConReviews.png

I have an i7 4990k 3.50Ghz Quad core. I been telling people an i7 is the way to go for months and now games have started coming out with recommended specs of an i7. Called it. Time to upgrade.

No.

I do not need an i7. It's as simple as that. You know what an i7 is? An i5 with HyperThreading and some more cache. That's it. I'm fine with my 4690K too, I don't need a 4990K (which doesn't even exist), thanks.

• Brohoof 2

No.

I do not need an i7. It's as simple as that. You know what an i7 is? An i5 with HyperThreading and some more cache. That's it. I'm fine with my 4690K too, I don't need a 4990K (which doesn't even exist), thanks.

An i7 is literally the minimum requirement for the Evil Within a game that is already 3 months old.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/evil-withins-minimum-pc-requirements-revealed/1100-6422720/

People have been saying 'oh I don't need the hyperthreading' like that somehow stops the rapid pace of technological advancement and demands of future games. Jesus man do you really want such an outdated CPU in 2015. May as well be on console.

And yes it's probably a 4770k or some shit I'm at my tablet so I can't screencap the properties.

An i7 is literally the minimum requirement for the Evil Within a game that is already 3 months old.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/evil-withins-minimum-pc-requirements-revealed/1100-6422720/

People have been saying 'oh I don't need the hyperthreading' like that somehow stops the rapid pace of technological advancement and demands of future games. Jesus man do you really want such an outdated CPU in 2015. May as well be on console.

And yes it's probably a 4770k or some shit I'm at my tablet so I can't screencap the properties.

The Evil Within is a terribly optimized game. Not the best example. Also, this is how much money I have right now.

cUv2vkT.png

Do I look like I can afford a $300 processor with features I don't even need? I'm not made of money, for GabeN's sake. As for saying the 4690K is an "outdated" CPU... are you actually serious about that? For all intents and purposes, it's current. If I had a Core 2 Duo, then yes, it'd be outdated. But an i5-4690K? Outdated because it lacks Hyperthreading and a few games with shitty optimization are recommending an i7 minimum because the developers don't know how to optimize their code better? Wow, just wow.

If you're going to be a hardware elitist, just stop. Please. It just looks really, really bad.

Edited by Festive Daring
  • Brohoof 3

The Evil Within is a terribly optimized game. Not the best example. Also, this is how much money I have right now.

cUv2vkT.png

Do I look like I can afford a $300 processor with features I don't even need? I'm not made of money, for GabeN's sake. As for saying the 4690K is an "outdated" CPU... are you actually serious about that? For all intents and purposes, it's current. If I had a Core 2 Duo, then yes, it'd be outdated. But an i5-4690K? Outdated because it lacks Hyperthreading and a few games with shitty optimization are recommending an i7 minimum because the developers don't know how to optimize their code better? Wow, just wow.

If you're going to be a hardware elitist, just stop. Please. It just looks really, really bad.

you act like a total elitist know it all and I'm the elitist for using facts backed up with direct sources please. Just because I've been a Pc gamer for 15 years and know what I'm talking about doesn't make an elitist, trying to help you bro. As for terrible optimisation well really you think that is rare for PS4/Xbone ports or are you just trying to claim it's a one off. Because there is a long list of games requiring an i7 already 2015/2016 will have oh so many more.

But you blurted out the real reason which is the cost. Okay don't future proof. Spec out all your builds to right now that's a great idea.

Done with you.

Edited by PinkiusPiecus

you act like a total elitist know it all and I'm the elitist for using facts backed up with direct sources please. Just because I've been a Pc gamer for 15 years and know what I'm talking about doesn't make an elitist, trying to help you bro. As for terrible optimisation well really you think that is rare for PS4/Xbone ports or are you just trying to claim it's a one off. Because there is a long list of games requiring an i7 already 2015/2016 will have oh so many more.

But you blurted out the real reason which is the cost. Okay don't future proof. Spec out all your builds to right now that's a great idea.

Done with you.

Called you an elitist because you kept insisting that I get a "GTX 780 4GB" when I don't have the money for a GTX 780 and pointed out that the GTX 780 on desktops only comes in 3GB or 6GB flavors and now you're telling me to get an i7 because a few shoddily-coded games like Watch_Dogs, Assassin's Creed and The Evil Within are recommending them when I don't have the money for an i7 either (and I just bought that i5, which was released earlier this year I might add). Frankly, with what I have, I am beyond happy with it, especially after coming off of five years of laptops being my daily driver. I did my research and picked out what was best for me and what I could afford, not what someone else said was best for me without even considering my needs, budget or workload.

Besides, since when were high system requirements a good thing? Usually that's a sign of a bad port. Only exception to that I can think of is Shadow of Mordor. Maybe Metal Gear Solid V too. Both of those games run beautifully on High settings on my GTX 760.

• Brohoof 1

Thoughts on the Intel Xeon E3-1230 V3 @ 3.3 GHz?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but It's pretty much an i7 4770, but its not overclockable and it has no integrated GPU, and it costs around $50-$60 less then an i7 4770

Edited by VictiniStar101

Thoughts on the Intel Xeon E3-1230 V3 @ 3.3 GHz? Correct me if I'm wrong, but It's pretty much an i7 4770, but its not overclockable and it has no integrated GPU, and it costs around $50-$60 less then an i7 4770

If you don't plan to OC, those are great --- i7 for about the cost of an i5 K. They used to be cheaper until presumably Intel saw what people were doing. *shakes first*

Check the BIOS on whatever motherboard you plan to get to make sure it's supported, though. Usually yes.

Edited by Lunatic Envy

TEW tanks on a GTX-970 with a high-end i7 yet looks like crap, it's merely a poorly optimized POS.

Done with you.

You're the one that keeps coming into this thread and getting mad at people for not having top-of-the-the-line PCs and even once tried to tell us we should all back to consoles if we can't absolutely max out every single game. 

Edited by Shoboni
  • Brohoof 2

"You know, I don't know who or what you are Methos, and I know you don't want to hear this, but you did teach me something. You taught me that Life's about change, about learning to accept who you are, good or bad. And I thank you for that."

-Duncan McLeod.

Done with you.

It's actually quite difficult to get angry about a post that I can't even understand. Well done - your lack of phrasing and your horribly flawed logic have saved you from my wrath.

5bV35Nx.png

Done with you.

90%+ of the time, an overclocked i5 is going to rip its respective i7 counterpart into shreds. i7 is only ever useful for heavily multithreaded applications, such as video encoding. All an i7 has is hyperthreading. All hyperthreading does is create virtual cores, which nets a 10% performance increase in applications that use it.

But games aren't those applications. Most games use, at most, two cores. In fact, with most games, you're probably better off with an i3. In some cases, hyperthreading is actually detrimental to performance—those extra virtual cores go to waste, and it prevents the actual cores from running as efficiently.

Edited by Regulus
  • Brohoof 3

AluKfrD.png

Tumblr

Do you mind if I join this debate? I have an AMD A8-7600 Radeon R7. The store from where I bought it said it is an equivalent of an Intel i5 processor. Is this true? Judging from the performance it gave me, it was really fast. It literally booted up in less than 40 seconds (It was a hard estimate I gave) and I experienced no lag when I ran games. So I think it was worth it. 

Do you mind if I join this debate? I have an AMD A8-7600 Radeon R7. The store from where I bought it said it is an equivalent of an Intel i5 processor. Is this true? Judging from the performance it gave me, it was really fast. It literally booted up in less than 40 seconds (It was a hard estimate I gave) and I experienced no lag when I ran games. So I think it was worth it. 

No, an Intel Core i5 will outperform that.

http://cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2311&cmp[]=1924

While it's a synthetic benchmark, it still gives a general idea of how well both will compare. Of course, real-world performance may be different, but I don't have the capability to do an apples-to-apples real-world performance comparison between those two processors.

Not really.

If you want to start competing with i5s you need a FX-8xxx series CPU(pretty much AMDs top of the line CPUs). With that said those are still only equivalent to the lower-to-mid-end i5s. 

Edited by Shoboni
  • Brohoof 1

"You know, I don't know who or what you are Methos, and I know you don't want to hear this, but you did teach me something. You taught me that Life's about change, about learning to accept who you are, good or bad. And I thank you for that."

-Duncan McLeod.

Am I the only one around here who thinks FPS games should just stay on PC?

Because there's one thing that makes console shooters not as fun:

Aim helping.

Honestly, once you get used to play them with a controller you might actually come to prefer with certain FPSs that are fast paced and have a lot of complex controllers(gamepads are much easier when you have quickly switch between varying combinations of buttons and abilities on the fly, I could imagine playing something like The Darkness II with a mouse and key-board)

Those last two stinkin' enemies....

post-6903-0-92729700-1419475121_thumb.jpg

-Duncan McLeod.

Well I don't have anything outstanding because its old but my laptop is okay.

-ASUS Laptop

-Nvidia Geforce GTX 560M with 2GB of video memory (Graphics)

-Intel Core i7 2.20GHz (CPU)

-16 GB of RAM

Going to build my own when I get around to making some money.

• Brohoof 1

Relatively casual gamer race coming through!

64bit Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium

i7 3.07Ghz Quad Core

16 (technically 18) GB RAM

GTX 460

ASUSTeK P6T SE

LG 24M35D 1920x1080 32bit 60hz 16:9

I'm kinda growing sad that my PC is starting to crawl to a halt when running modern age games like AC:Unity and to a lesser degree DA:I, and that while I can turn everything up to ultra on WoD, I have to keep my shadows on Low if I want to maintain 40+ fps, so I can't enjoy it in its full glory.

I reckon that as a whole my PC is growing pretty old (last month as a bandaid I upgraded from 6GB RAM to 16GB) and that it might be best to replace the whole thing. I bought this thing in 2010 and I honestly don't understand much in hardware, I'm a software guy! Any of you reckon if just upgrading my graphics card would save me here, or is my CPU's 3.07Ghz just too low?