Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Pony Robots

FancyHorse

So imagine you would in the future, robotics reaches into an advanced stage. Hasbro with its new business idea comes up with entering into the industry and BAM pony robots!

Complete with advanced AI and intelligence response, fluid anatomaticaly correct body motions, and full personality based upon their character.

Would this be something that would excite anyone to take interest?

I feel like robots by nature being incapable of emotions would make it hard to turn them into likable characters, or have as much emotion and personality as a normal character. 

It's an interesting idea, but I don't think it could be as good as FIM is.

I feel like robots by nature being incapable of emotions would make it hard to turn them into likable characters, or have as much emotion and personality as a normal character. 

It's an interesting idea, but I don't think it could be as good as FIM is

Yes I agree.

Just look at my profile picture.

Robot rarity dose not show any emotions at all.

So, what you're basically saying is...

BLADE RUNNER REPLICANT PONIES.

post-26336-0-20103300-1415188101.gif

You know that new movie, Her, with Joaquin Phoenix?  If we live to see that technology, I guarantee that would happen to me.  And if we live to see replicant ponies, well, then it would probably be Her with Twilight.

• Brohoof 2

Nope. Personality is intelligence. They would've done what no-robotics expert should do, create an AI. In order for something to have a personality it must be self-aware, everyone knows what happens when you create self aware robots.

Imagine what would happen if Twi-Bot went all bezerk-ballistic-gorillia-monkey-apeshit like in Twilights Kingdom?

post-24330-0-13490400-1415208298_thumb.png

Edited by BritishBrony 13
  • Brohoof 1

It'd be pretty awesome to see a unicorn-bot being all like "Here, lemme help you with that" while you're trying to read in the dark, and their horn lights up.

That would be pretty sweet yet somewhat slightly creepy.

• Brohoof 1

that would be terrible but then we would be killed by metal ponys... also their personallity programming would be like ponys and i am pretty sure ponys wont kill us

People said that about other 'Harmless' people. They turned out not to be harmless.

I like that idea. I've always been a fan of robots.

Nope. Personality is intelligence. They would've done what no-robotics expert should do, create an AI. In order for something to have a personality it must be self-aware, everyone knows what happens when you create self aware robots.

Imagine what would happen if Twi-Bot went all bezerk-ballistic-gorillia-monkey-apeshit like in Twilights Kingdom?

attachicon.gifno.png

Good luck replicating four Alicorns worth of magic in a robot. :P
  • Brohoof 1

I like that idea. I've always been a fan of robots.

Good luck replicating four Alicorns worth of magic in a robot. :P

I was speaking hypothetically.

Your avatar just happens to be relevant to my point. Ultron was made (by ant-man not stark), went psycho went and upgraded himself a couple of times to Ultron-6, tried to wipe out the human race but got beaten by the avengers, came back better, etc.

Either way, I do like robots, just not self-aware ones because they are very dangerous.

I was speaking hypothetically.

Your avatar just happens to be relevant to my point. Ultron was made (by ant-man not stark), went psycho went and upgraded himself a couple of times to Ultron-6, tried to wipe out the human race but got beaten by the avengers, came back better, etc.

Either way, I do like robots, just not self-aware ones because they are very dangerous.

Unless you make them stronger than a really dedicated bodybuilder or give them built-in weapons and gadgets, a self-aware robot is just as deadly as an ordinary human. Just more resistant to pain and slightly more difficult to kill. Besides, what are the odds of a robotic toy suddenly going Ultron on the world? Just because it has happened in litterature a dozen times doesn't mean it will happen in real life.
  • Brohoof 1

Besides, what are the odds of a robotic toy suddenly going Ultron on the world? Just because it has happened in litterature a dozen times doesn't mean it will happen in real life.

What are the odds of someone going psycho on the world? Multiply that by the number of people in the world. That's a high probability. It would be exactly the same with a self aware robot. Except:

• Robots are quicker to make. A self aware robot could potentially make thousands of non-self-aware robot minions.
  • Like you said they are harder to 'kill'.
  • Robots don't feel physical pain unless pain receptors are built in.
  • Robots retain info better, they learn quicker, making them very difficult to defeat.

Generally self aware robots are better than humans. They could do every thing better, faster, more efficiently. They are worth being this cautious about.

• Brohoof 1

Wow, I was aware that a topic about the dangers of self aware robots would insue (cough cough, The Terminator) .

I was hoping for that we could find some interesting positive reaction for the product.

But oh well. :3

Wow, I was aware that a topic about the dangers of self aware robots would insue (cough cough, The Terminator) .

I was hoping for that we could find some interesting positive reaction for the product.

But oh well. :3

I am generally a paranoid person. It's a nice idea....without fully functioning personality. A VI would be fine. You couldn't have meaningful conversations, but there is no risk of it going psycho.

No matter how advanced they could be built, they wouldn't be any different than the simplest toy with a voice box. They would just be more advanced toys to do with as we please. I would not see much of a point in it really. I would prefer a giant plush to an expensive robotic thing.

No matter how advanced they could be built, they wouldn't be any different than the simplest toy with a voice box. They would just be more advanced toys to do with as we please. I would not see much of a point in it really. I would prefer a giant plush to an expensive robotic thing.

Rule 2 of making self-aware 'bots; do not tell them they are insignificant, they will react to it, and depending on it's personality, it may get angry. 

I do see your point however, that would be what they were made for. But since when is anything just used for what it is made for?

(btw rule 1 is "DO NOT MAKE SELF AWARE ROBOTS")