Why does the numlock key exist?

Phoenix Flair

Does anyone use it? Anyone at all? I can't think of a single reason why I wouldn't want to use my numbered keypad, so why would there be a feature that disables it, and why would that be the default setting (that's how it is on my computer at least).

Is there any one out there more tech savvy than I that can explain this? :P

• Brohoof 1

Older PC keyboards didn't have the arrow keys that modern ones do, so the numeric keypad would serve both functions, and hence the presence of a Num Lock key to switch the functions. Num Lock is also present on some laptop keyboards to convert some of the letter keys to numbers.  These days the Num Lock key only seems to be there to confuse people, much like the Pause/Break key. :3 Apple keyboards do not have a Num Lock key. Once I turn my Num Lock key on it never turns off unless I press it again. If you really want to have Num Lock on by default, there are some handy instructions here (for Windows) that consist of some exploring through the registry editor.

• Brohoof 5

Not every keyboard has a number pad and some prefer the layout of the pad to the numbers strewn across the top of the board itself. I'm using a laptop right now that has no number pad so if I were one of those types I could use it for that instead of having to hold the Fn key to use the numbers. Luckily for me I prefer the numbers on top, or rather I got used to using them that way.

• Brohoof 1

What I want to know is why we still have caps lock. It's only purpose seems to be for you to accidentally press it and then be really confused as to why your passwords seem to have all stopped working.

I mean it's not like it's super hard to just hold shift down with your pinkie finger on the incredibly rare occasions where there is actually a good reason to type in all caps.

• Brohoof 3

for the or the Uber WoW players XD

Players like me, who at the age of 13, wanted to make a paladin named "Redemption" so badly, yet alas, the name was taken. Thus, Rëdémptiôn was born.

• Brohoof 1

Players like me, who at the age of 13, wanted to make a paladin named "Redemption" so badly, yet alas, the name was taken. Thus, Rëdémptiôn was born.

Got a Warlock called Confearacy XD

What I want to know is why we still have caps lock. It's only purpose seems to be for you to accidentally press it and then be really confused as to why your passwords seem to have all stopped working.

'Tis for communicating when someone "Better" than you is mad at you E.G.

"OMG U SO BAD U SUCK GO QUIT!" - That's how I'm spoken to by the PvP "Masters" on any PC game.

Gotta love the PvP Community of LoL/WoW

• Brohoof 1

I mean it's not like it's super hard to just hold shift down with your pinkie finger on the incredibly rare occasions where there is actually a good reason to type in all caps.

Caps lock is one of those residual keys that used to be found on typewriters. There it was called shift lock and I think you can guess what it was for. ^_^ Caps Lock can come in handy for various programming languages and for advertisements, which tend to be written in all capital letters. Also, a lot of data entry/inventory programs (that are mostly old) require all info to be entered in all caps. It all goes back to the old days when memory was extremely limited and so only upper case was available.
  • Brohoof 2

To make that cool light flash on and off, of course! That said, does anyone know what the scroll lock does?

Scroll lock used to control the function of the arrow keys, switching between scrolling the contents of a text window and moving the cursor.

Or, nowadays you could just use your mouse...

What about sticky keys? What if I want to keep pressing shift over and over but then I end up activating sticky keys.

But back to the num lock, it's because they want to make us bleed every time we press it.

What about sticky keys? What if I want to keep pressing shift over and over but then I end up activating sticky keys.

I can't really think of a logical reason for needing to push shift five times in a row in quick succession. However, if you really needed to, just disable it. The dialogue box that comes up tells you how.

I'm pretty sure it's for computers/laptops that have number keys on the side of the keyboard. Turning on "Num Lock" will allow you to use these number keys instead of the ones above the letters on your keyboard, turning it off doesn't allow them to work. Hope that helps! ^^

Typing using the number pad can be quicker than using the row of numbers, you can also toggle the numbers on or off, to use the other functions.

laptops don't have numlock keys because we don't have keypads I wish they did I prefer using the keypad over the other set of number keys

Not quite true, mine has a number pad and number lock.

Generally I switch between using that or just the numbers above the keyboard. Do I use it? Yeah if I accidentally hit it, then I rage. Just like the CAPS lock.. darn thing.