gaming Elite: Dangerous

Cyberunit1

Anypony on here play Elite?
I started playing a few days ago, and I'm looking to find people to play with

My name on there is Cyberunit1, and you can find my skype and steam under the same name ^.^

Can I get a serious, BS-free review of this game? I've been thinking of picking it up, but I'm not sure if I'd really even like it.

I'm asking this as someone who enjoys twitch-based dogfighting games, like Ace Combat and War Thunder (with a joystick).

Edited by Regulus
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Of course!

In my opinion, the game is fantastic. looks beautiful, and it's extremely immersive.

The gameplay is awesome, but it can take a while to learn if you're too lazy to watch the youtube tutorials, as the in-game tutorials aren't very in-depth, and assume you already know a little about how the game works, so I'd advise you watch those if you do decide to get it.

Although the game is huge, it can get a bit repetative as there's only so much to do: the starport missions, bounty hunting or trading.

Starport missions are pretty generic, transport these goods, assasinate this guy, etc. 

Bounty hunting is easy as long as you can fly okay, just pick a nav beacon in a star system, and hang around it, a wanted criminal will turn up eventually, and can give you a lot of credits,       but there's only so many ships you can shoot out of the sky before it gets dull.

Trading is also an easy way to make a quick bit of money, but it's pretty mutch just jumping from station to station, which also gets very monotonous.

All in all, it's a great game, but it can get boring quite quickly if you don't mix it up a little.

I'm asking this as someone who enjoys twitch-based dogfighting games, like Ace Combat and War Thunder (with a joystick).

Didn't see that bit xD

I also enjoy War Thunder, and the gameplay can be pretty similar when you're in a dogfight

Edited by Cyberunit1

Didn't see that bit xD

I also enjoy War Thunder, and the gameplay can be pretty similar when you're in a dogfight

I have a habit of posting my posts before I'm done writing them, so I have to go back to edit/add things.

Anyway, how does the combat system work? Is it possible to use a gamepad/joystick, and if so, does that offer any disadvantage against mouse players? Is there auto-aim, or otherwise gimballed weapons? Are shields so strong that it takes a hundred hits to kill something, or are they so weak that you die in one shot? Can you tweak/customize your ship? Are there any weapons/game mechanics besides the usual lasers and rockets?

Actually, nevermind. A lot of those questions are answered on the game's website. xD

Still, how does the multiplayer work? Is it either PvP or co-op... or both? Are there ever bigger battles between factions/players to participate in?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Still, how does the multiplayer work? Is it either PvP or co-op... or both? Are there ever bigger battles between factions/players to participate in?

Well, it's Pvp, but if you've got a partner to fly with, it's a lot more fun.

So far, in my experience, the multiplayer is along the lines of 'you're all in the same world, all alone, unless you join a faction, so you can have people to fly with.'

Either that, or you get a friend to fly with, and go out bounty hunting, although there's no way to share the bounty between you.

So far, I am unaware of big battles between the factions, but I anticipate them getting to be that way as more people start playing.

Edited by Cyberunit1

• 2 months later...
(edited)

Finally, somepony that plays Elite. I have a viper Mk 3 at the moment and I am a bounty hunter. Well I mostly just sit in a nav beacon area until I find someone that is wanted.

Edited by Flamehoof

If I actually did gaming on PC, this game would be an immediate buy. I have been watching Storpey play it and it looks like a game of my dreams. I am in love with space, I have this huge obsession with it, so anyone that knows this game now knows why I would love it. :P Plus there just seems like so much to do anyways. So tons of content even for the non-space fanatics.

I really wish I could play it though.

If I actually did gaming on PC, this game would be an immediate buy. I have been watching Storpey play it and it looks like a game of my dreams. I am in love with space, I have this huge obsession with it, so anyone that knows this game now knows why I would love it. :P Plus there just seems like so much to do anyways. So tons of content even for the non-space fanatics.

I really wish I could play it though.

I believe the game is coming to the Xbox One later this year, no clear dates have been announced yet but I can remember hearing something about that.

OT: I'll probably pick this game up during a sale later or something, trying to save money atm.

• Brohoof 2

I believe the game is coming to the Xbox One later this year, no clear dates have been announced yet but I can remember hearing something about that.

OT: I'll probably pick this game up during a sale later or something, trying to save money atm.

O_O

*implodes*

That is awesome. I will be looking into this, I think you are correct because they showed it off a bit last year but I did not think of it until now.

I could spend hours in this game just exploring the galaxy alone, I would most likely get lost in doing so. Time will be nothing at that point. :P

O_O

*implodes*

That is awesome. I will be looking into this, I think you are correct because they showed it off a bit last year but I did not think of it until now.

I could spend hours in this game just exploring the galaxy alone, I would most likely get lost in doing so. Time will be nothing at that point. :P

I can remember seeing this gfycat of it during the beta and the player was in the middle of combat, then decided he wanted to go mining and then left the combat area to mine. That level of freedom the game gives the player is remarkable.

If Stardrive 2 wasn't coming out tomorrow, I would be all over this.  I have been waiting for that coming for over a year and I am going to need to get it out of my system before I join in on another MMO.  After that though I would be happy to join you.

• 2 months later...

My wish in my original post was answered! Elite Dangerous is now available for the Xbox One as part of the new Game Preview program. It is basically Early Access but for Xbox One. 

I played the trial and honestly the trial was kinda mediocre, mainly because it only lets you play the training and only for an hour. Not much time to get used to such a complex game but I was getting somewhere. I also cannot stand the combat, anyone else not like that aspect?

However, I will be buying the game tonight. The game looks and sounds amazing and the atmosphere is incredible. Plus, I can just be an explorer! :D Exploring the galaxy like that is like playing a dream come true. I am really excited to get it. :3

• 7 months later...

*Pokes with stick*

I picked the game up this past fall, so far I'm really liking it, went from a Sidewinder to a Viper, did some bounty hunting. Saved up enough to get an ASP Explorer, outfitted that for exploring, did that for about 3 weeks, came back and made enough to buy the Federal Dropship, still have it and I love it. Think I will get a Python next or just go straight to the Anaconda. 

Got one of the skin packs, the white reminds me of the LAATs from Star Wars.

boM361s.jpg

Glad to see this thread was revived. :3 I will admit that I have taken a break form this game, only because I am eagerly awaiting the Horizons expansion on Xbox One. They are not giving any major info on that at this point which saddens me, but I watched Storpey play it and land on a planet, it looks downright amazing. 

• Brohoof 1

Glad to see this thread was revived. :3 I will admit that I have taken a break form this game, only because I am eagerly awaiting the Horizons expansion on Xbox One. They are not giving any major info on that at this point which saddens me, but I watched Storpey play it and land on a planet, it looks downright amazing.

I have horizons on PC and I've still not landed on a planet yet :P

Currently flying a top fitted vulture for bounty hunting and it's awesome, took on an anaconda solo the other day, so much fun! :D

• Brohoof 2

eh, i myself dont like VR, it scares me a bit

I hear ya, and it requires a beast machine to run it, but I want to give it a shot myself. Got to see if this is the next thing in entertainment, or a gimmick fad.

it will propably just be a fad, oh sure there will be fanboys who use it, but sooner or later, it will die out

Perhaps, maybe it will be. I just got to wait and see if the VR stuff is worth it.