Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Jonny Music

I honestly have no idea as to how and what my OC/Ponysona's backstory should be (for the Character Database for Role-plays and the such).

I would appreciate the help for building a backstory for my OC. The possibilities as to what my OC's backstory could be is endless and I really could use your assistance.

Here is the very basic details of my OC/Ponysona: http://mlpforums.com/topic/74033-post-your-oc/?p=3471556

Now I need your guy's help to build a backstory out of it.

Thank you so much for your attention.

• Brohoof 1

I would go with maybe (studied at the Canterlot academy of music admired Octavia her being a well known Pony musician he grew up admiring great pony artist and when he got old enough he was givin a scholarship to the academy often taking part in concerts at banquets for the princesses and high society ponies being a unicorn also helped with the composition of sheet music and helped to play multiple instruments a though this was difficult but not as difficult for a musical protegee his parents supported him greatly and were so proud when he made it to the academy) all I got so far I don't know what you'll think though :)

• Brohoof 1

I would go with maybe (studied at the Canterlot academy of music admired Octavia her being a well known Pony musician he grew up admiring great pony artist and when he got old enough he was givin a scholarship to the academy often taking part in concerts at banquets for the princesses and high society ponies being a unicorn also helped with the composition of sheet music and helped to play multiple instruments a though this was difficult but not as difficult for a musical protegee his parents supported him greatly and were so proud when he made it to the academy) all I got so far I don't know what you'll think though :)

He should have been a HUGE fan of Photo Finish, and then he got his first camera at his cute-cenera and discovered his love for photography...

Both are great ideas for his backstory. Thanks for the brainstorming. Though I wouldn't mind at all if some more details were spoken from anyone else. :)

Edited by Jonny Music
  • Brohoof 1

I don't understand why everyone thinks they need a big backstory. How about just being a regular dude?

For any character, I think the present should matter far more than the past.

If I want to add my OC/Ponysona for Role-playing and such, then yes it will matter.

If I want to add my OC/Ponysona for Role-playing and such, then yes it will matter.

I assure you, it really won't. In RP especially, it's all about your pony's personality in the present that matters, and from my experience no one wants to hear a big story about how you got your cutie mark or whatever. The point of RP is to make stories with others, not tell them by yourself. For backstories, simplest is best.

That's my rather strong opinion anyway, I'm sure there are plenty of people for whom this isn't true, but this is simply what my personal experience tells me.

I assure you, it really won't. In RP especially, it's all about your pony's personality in the present that matters, and from my experience no one wants to hear a big story about how you got your cutie mark or whatever. The point of RP is to make stories with others, not tell them by yourself. For backstories, simplest is best.

That's my rather strong opinion anyway, I'm sure there are plenty of people for whom this isn't true, but this is simply what my personal experience tells me.

The backstory for my OC doesn't have to be super, extremely detailed. Heck, it could be as vague as Twilight's backstory (or less detailed than that).

I just needed some ideas. That's all.

Ok how about as a colt he would carry his camera around with him everywhere and he would take photos of just random objects until one day as he was taking a photo of a broken down organ pipe and straight after he took the photo his camera broke down. So thats when the pony that was fixing the organ pipe asked him if he wanted to help fix it, and so he did.

Once the organ pipe was fixed he tried playing it and when he did he discovered his love for playing the organ pipe and thats how he got his cuite mark

• Brohoof 1

Ok how about as a colt he would carry his camera around with him everywhere and he would take photos of just random objects until one day as he was taking a photo of a broken down organ pipe and straight after he took the photo his camera broke down. So thats when the pony that was fixing the organ pipe asked him if he wanted to help fix it, and so he did.

Once the organ pipe was fixed he tried playing it and when he did he discovered his love for playing the organ pipe and thats how he got his cuite mark

That definitely seems interesting.

However, I must point something out on what you said. Many organ pipes are needed for a single Pipe Organ instrument. You switched the words around.

Yes, that backstory of how my OC got his cutie mark is interesting. However, I should make it clear that when I had someone create my OC from scratch, I made it simple for the person to make the cutie mark a pipe from a pipe organ rather than an actual organ console (the place where organists play the organ).

Here is an official video that Bronies United made for my This Day Aria Organ Cover to show you what I mean. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y851Q3GVAJg

• 2 weeks later...

That definitely seems interesting.

However, I must point something out on what you said. Many organ pipes are needed for a single Pipe Organ instrument. You switched the words around.

Yes, that backstory of how my OC got his cutie mark is interesting. However, I should make it clear that when I had someone create my OC from scratch, I made it simple for the person to make the cutie mark a pipe from a pipe organ rather than an actual organ console (the place where organists play the organ).

No worries i mean it was just a rough idea and you can change bits and pieces to make the story suit your pony and even though i didn't write it down i meant for his cutie mark to be a pipe from a pipe organ

• Brohoof 1