Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Chase Scene Short Film Assignment (with MLP IRL) [Now Playing]

Jonny Music

UPDATE (April 17, 2015; 11:06 EST): The link to my recent post with the short film will be linked on this sentence. I hope you enjoy it. :)

I'm "nervousited" to announce that I am working on a project that I am honoured to do.

It is a college assignment for Video Capture 1 (one of my courses), and it's so far on the pre-production stage (storyboard making and such). Hopefully this weekend I will get to the production stage (Video Capture, etc).

The professor who has assigned it to me and the rest of the class has permitted me to hand it in by my last day of the semester (April 17th) the latest. And so I hope that I will have everything done by then (or earlier (God willing). :) ).

This video here below this sentence is NOT MINE! It's only an example I have found that was already done by someone else (though not good production-quality wise imho) is this here: 

However, for my chase scene, I will incorporate multiple shots and angles (compared to the first-person camera perspective from the example above) so that my chase scene will truly feel like a professionally produced short film.

When it comes to production quality, I will look at examples from LittleshyFiM and StormXF3 (as well as examples from other people of course).

And that concludes the announcement.

Any thoughts and questions? Feel free to make a post. :)

Edited by Jonny Music
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

Lol I like it, I do have to say you did a good job on the lighting on twilight.

That linked video is not mine. That is someone else's. I only put it up there as an example.

The project sounds pretty cool.

I have a few questions:

What ideas do you currently have in mind and how will you be making this?

Here are the ideas I have submitted to my professor (as he did ask us to do so)

"An idea that I have is that it would be me (or someone else) chasing after a certain MLP:FiM (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic) pony character (or I could chase a thief or robber who is stealing something from my property (and have AJ or RD join me with chasing him)). For green-screening characters, I would try my best to use them only in simple video still shots (no panning, dollying with them, etc. (at least for this semester (or maybe at least keep it at a minimum. I don't want to go too overboard that I would be work myself too hard)). The premise would be that they got in trouble for doing something mischievous (like as mentioned earlier) or just giving something back to them that they forgot back at my house."

As for how I will be making it: I will be using real life camera shots and mix green-screened clips pre-made and ones I make myself (with Adobe Flash for any clips that were not pre-made) and I would use both Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects for Green-screening, editing and adding any other effects that would be needed to make the short film as believable as possible.

Edited by Jonny Music
  • Brohoof 1

Ah sorry lol

Overall I do like the idea, I'd say to bring the most to it is the lighting and shading on the characters themselves.

I don't have any experience in this type of production so I don't know what else to suggest.

• Brohoof 2

Ah sorry lol

Overall I do like the idea, I'd say to bring the most to it is the lighting and shading on the characters themselves.

I don't have any experience in this type of production so I don't know what else to suggest.

It happens. No worries. ;)

I could definitely try my best to do that for my very first try at it.

It's alright. I just wanted to announce what I am currently working on. :)

• Brohoof 1

Just gonna throw in some thoughts from what I've learned in my Digital Media class:

-A close up, panning knee shot of pony running as an intro, or maybe something else. But since you've mentioned that you only want simple shots, therefore we can throw this out of the window.

-A wide shot of you running down the hallway, going after a certain pony. (I assume Trixie)

-Close up shot of you talking to AJ or RD while you're running. This might gonna be a bit hard because it has to pan along.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Just gonna throw in some thoughts from what I've learned in my Digital Media class:

-A close up, panning knee shot of pony running as an intro, or maybe something else. But since you've mentioned that you only want simple shots, therefore we can throw this out of the window.

-A wide shot of you running down the hallway, going after a certain pony. (I assume Trixie)

-Close up shot of you talking to AJ or RD while you're running. This might gonna be a bit hard because it has to pan along.

1st point: I actually could use that for something else, since I already came up with the intro.

2nd point: I plan on making the chase outdoors, not indoors.

3rd point: That could be a possibility.

Thanks for the suggestions. :) I'll be sure to give credit to anyone who has given me suggestions that I actually used.

Edited by Jonny Music
  • Brohoof 1

1st point: I actually could use that for something else, since I already came up with the intro.

2nd point: I plan on making the chase outdoors, not indoors.

3rd point: That could be a possibility.

Thanks for the suggestions. :) I'll be sure to credit to anyone who has given me suggestions that I actually used.

Just thought of the easiest way to include a pony running along side of you so you don't have to flash animate the legs which would take a while.

With a camera shot to the side of you where the bottom of the frame is at your waist. With the pony in view all you need to do is animate the back/head bobbing up and down to simulate the running. 

• Brohoof 1

Just thought of the easiest way to include a pony running along side of you so you don't have to flash animate the legs which would take a while.

With a camera shot to the side of you where the bottom of the frame is at your waist. With the pony in view all you need to do is animate the back/head bobbing up and down to simulate the running. 

That could actually work. Thanks for the tip. :)

To everyone,

Apparently, I have thought up of another idea for the premise that may work (an idea slightly different then what I have submitted to my professor). Though I do not want to give those details away. So I'll just keep the new idea for the story as a surprise. ;)

Update:

As of yesterday evening, I have finally completed the production stage (filming). Now I am onto the post-production (editing) stage, and there is gonna be a lot of it (special effects, etc.). :)

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

Finally! I've finished the editing! :D Expect to see a link (or two) to view the short film sometime tomorrow. :)

Update (April 17, 2015; 3:01 AM EST):

The film is scheduled to release at 8:30 AM EST on YouTube today.

I will add the link to the video here when it has been released.

I hope you all enjoy it. :)

Update (April 17, 2015; 8:34 AM EST):

It has been released! Please give it a watch! :D

Please feel free to leave any respectful critiques you may have. I'd like to know your thoughts on my performance. Edited by Jonny Music
  • Brohoof 2