gaming Video game spin-offs you prefer to the source series.

Ziggy + Angel + Rain

For example(s): I actually prefer Pokemon Mystery Dungeon to, well...  Pokemon.  I don't wanna catch 'em all.  I wanna inexplicably turn into one and then scour a randomly-generated dungeon floor.

post-26550-0-91267700-1428031064.jpg

While I'm quite fond of Final Fantasy IV, VI, and VII, I probably appreciate FF: Crystal Chronicles more than the main series as a whole.

post-26550-0-86627000-1428031121_thumb.jpg

And, as much as I enjoy Super Ghouls n' Ghosts (never mind Ghosts n' Goblins lol), I'm more a fan of Firebrand and the Gargoyle's Quest and Demon's Crest titles.

post-26550-0-82511500-1428031074_thumb.jpg

I know there are plenty of people out there who prefer Donkey Kong Country to Donkey Kong.  It's...  Not me in this one case; Donkey Kong / Donkey Kong '94 are near and dear to me.

• Brohoof 1

zbVhNRD.gif
"It uses the faculty of what you call imagination. But that does not mean making things up. It is a form of seeing." - from "The Amber Spyglass"

I really really like Ace Attorney. The story is amazing and music is just awesome! It also have a spin offs too. As of now it has two spin offs. Ace Attorney Investigation and Ace Attorney Investigation 2 (The second game is a japan only game though   :()   The spin offs is as good as the original. This game makes me love Edgeworth so much.He is my favorite prosecutor in the whole series.   Ace_Attorney_Investigations_Miles_Edgewo                             

post-29246-0-65705700-1428972815.png

Sig Created by:Starlight Glimmer 

I like the Megaman Zero and ZX series more than the originals if that counts...

I can't believe I forgot about Megaman Xp

I always preferred Legends and X over the original, though I loved those a lot too

• Brohoof 1

Question. Does Megaman Star Force Series count? If yes, then I vote for them, since I can't get into the main megaman series.

Also, Persona. As it made SMT mainstream.

post-8308-0-08132200-1444808951.png

Alicorn Sunset Shimmer!

I've always been more a fan of Megaman Battle Network and Star Force than the original Megaman.

Mmbn5ds.jpg

And having played SMT: Nocturne, I still much rather prefer Persona because while Persona is still hard, it's not "tear your hair out before bludgeoning your wall with your controller" hard.     

MLPForums "Self-Proclaimed" Kamen Rider Nut
Now, count up your sins!
I do Traditional commissions, by the way! See them HERE!

post-8308-0-43031100-1429818502.png

Banner was done by the wonderful Kyoshi.

In some ways I preferred Pokémon Mystery Dungeon over the main series and Pokken will be interesting. And I find Pokémon Puzzle League and Battle Trozei more addicting than the main games in some ways. I also prefer Mario RPGs over the platformers.

• Brohoof 1

In some ways I preferred Pokémon Mystery Dungeon over the main series and Pokken will be interesting. And I find Pokémon Puzzle League and Battle Trozei more addicting than the main games in some ways. I also prefer Mario RPGs over the platformers.

I'd forgotten about Trozei; despite my really enjoying the recent title for 3DS.

zbVhNRD.gif
"It uses the faculty of what you call imagination. But that does not mean making things up. It is a form of seeing." - from "The Amber Spyglass"

I gotta say that the Mario Kart franchise is way too much fun. I think I would choose to play more often than a regular Mario game.

• Brohoof 1

I'm a Y2K Survivor™ 

(edited)

Pokemon Ranger and Mystery Dungeon are both amazing.

As far as PMD is concerned, I found Gates to Infinity disappointing in its lack of Pokemon choices, overall difficulty, heartbreaking tearjerker moments, and story complexity; three things that made the series great before. Overall a massive step backward from Time/Darkness/Sky and even Red/Blue.

Both spin-offs, of course, have incredible musical scores. Sekra Range from Ranger and Through the Sea of Time from PMD Sky to name just a few.

Forza Horizon is a nice open-world departure from the usual structured race-to-race rigidity of the Forza series.

Edited by RCTM