Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Keeping ranks

Starlight Fan

So I was thinking: what if you liked a rank, but you still wanted to post?
How could you keep yourself in the group you liked? 

For example, if I'm now in "Squirrel" but prefer "Butterfly". Could you make a way to change it back?

I know about custom member titles, but I'd like to have the picture changed back too. From what I know, there isn't anything that lets you do that.

PS:

(Also if you could make a "Duck" rank that would be cool. This guy needs more attention:)

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by Starlight Glimmer
  • Brohoof 2

The ability for users to pick what badge they want would defeat the purpose of getting new badges for posting more. They just serve as little milestones, and as encouragement to post more. If you don't like your current badge, you could always try to progress to the next badge by posting more, and if you like your badge, the only thing you can do is stop posting on places where the posts count towards your total.

It doesn't seem to going to change on the future,as only one of the functions can exist, which is either selectable badges without them changing with your post count, or badges that change as you make posts, but cannot be customized.

• Brohoof 5

I'm not saying I support this idea, but I guess you could do the following:

Badges serve as Milestones, so maybe, we can treat them as being unlocked. So, you would be able to select any badges that you already have unlocked; if you get what I mean.

For example, I am Dragon, let's say I don't like Dragons, then, I can set it to Muffins since I already unlocked it. However, I cannot set it to "Pony" because I haven't unlocked that one yet.

Again, I have absolutely no opinions on this matter, and I'm not saying I support this idea. 

EDIT: I said "badges" but I meant "ranks". In fact, talking about this, on some forums I go on, they replaced ranks with badges that you unlock (just like achievements) that are viewable on a member's profile page. Some of the badges involve making a certain number of posts. But that's off-topic so I'll stop there.

Edited by boiteporte
  • Brohoof 6

(edited)

The ability for users to pick what badge they want would defeat the purpose of getting new badges for posting more. They just serve as little milestones, and as encouragement to post more. If you don't like your current badge, you could always try to progress to the next badge by posting more, and if you like your badge, the only thing you can do is stop posting on places where the posts count towards your total.

It doesn't seem to going to change on the future,as only one of the functions can exist, which is either selectable badges without them changing with your post count, or badges that change as you make posts, but cannot be customized.

What I mean is picking from only unlocked badges. So I couldn't pick from Crystal Pony, for example, but I could pick Parasprite.

I'm not saying I support this idea, but I guess you could do the following:

Badges serve as Milestones, so maybe, we can treat them as being unlocked. So, you would be able to select any badges that you already have unlocked; if you get what I mean.

For example, I am Dragon, let's say I don't like Dragons, then, I can set it to Muffins since I already unlocked it. However, I cannot set it to "Pony" because I haven't unlocked that one yet.

Again, I have absolutely no opinions on this matter, and I'm not saying I support this idea. 

EDIT: I said "badges" but I meant "ranks". In fact, talking about this, on some forums I go on, they replaced ranks with badges that you unlock (just like achievements) that are viewable on a member's profile page. Some of the badges involve making a certain number of posts. But that's off-topic so I'll stop there.

That's kind of more what I meant. It's okay if you don't support the idea though, I was just putting it out there :)

Edited by Starlight Glimmer

What I mean is picking from only unlocked badges. So I couldn't pick from Crystal Pony, for example, but I could pick Parasprite.

The badges are, like Lightwing said, milestones. It shows how much you've posted. Allowing users to use their own would mess up the order of things, really. Let's say I'm a pony rank because I've made 1500 posts, but then decide to go back to muffin because I really enjoyed it. People would think that I made only 5-39 posts. Plus, would the debate pit and other areas that are unlocked when you're a cupcake be locked again for me? It'd be a confusing and unneeded thing to deal with. So I disagree, I don't want this. Even though pony is my least favorite rank, I'd rather just stick with it rather than choose from the ones I've had previously.

• Brohoof 6

Badges are connected to group permission sets too intimately to do what is suggested. This is why specialized badges like the Generosity Badge had issues with Donors and Subscribers. #blameIPB

• Brohoof 2

Even though pony is my least favorite rank, I'd rather just stick with it rather than choose from the ones I've had previously.

One day... One glorious, distant day, the Crystal Pony rank awaits us. And that day shall be beautiful. :<

Badges are connected to group permission sets too intimately to do what is suggested. This is why specialized badges like the Generosity Badge had issues with Donors and Subscribers. #blameIPB

I remember so many issues with the BronyCon 2013 supporter group. So many.

• Brohoof 2

This has been brought up at least eleven or thirteen-thousand times since I've been on the site, and from the looks, the current staff team isn't any more into the concept than the previous generations.

The badges are, like Lightwing said, milestones. It shows how much you've posted. Allowing users to use their own would mess up the order of things, really. Let's say I'm a pony rank because I've made 1500 posts, but then decide to go back to muffin because I really enjoyed it. People would think that I made only 5-39 posts. Plus, would the debate pit and other areas that are unlocked when you're a cupcake be locked again for me? It'd be a confusing and unneeded thing to deal with. So I disagree, I don't want this. Even though pony is my least favorite rank, I'd rather just stick with it rather than choose from the ones I've had previously.

Oh. Now I get what you mean. Guess I'll just have to rapidly post until I get out of Squirrel then. (I don't know why I don't like it. I just don't.)

• 3 weeks later...

This has been asked a lot of times before and from all the times I've read these threads I think it has been said that they don't think that it is a good idea and it is not possible with IP board.

I also agree with what @The Awesome One said.

Maybe (if it is possible with IPB, I doubt so post-1052-0-19261700-1419041456.gif) we could add an option to not show your badge?

This would make users who really dislike their badge at least a little bit happier and it would also help users who dislike being treated like "oh you're only a parasprite, you don't have any say in this. Low-status-man, breh" as well as those who dislike being treated like "OH I have never seen you before but you're a unicorn!!1!!!11!! 10/10 famous" like myself. Although this doesn't happen too often it's always nice to have the choice.

Thought about that before, if one is a rainbow dash fan and wants to be a pegasus when he's got a unicorn rank... What does he do? He should be able to switch back to old ranks, just the visuals of them. Only the ranks that you've once been should be available to switch to imo, it's a great idea overall.

Thought about that before, if one is a rainbow dash fan and wants to be a pegasus when he's got a unicorn rank... What does he do? He should be able to switch back to old ranks, just the visuals of them. Only the ranks that you've once been should be available to switch to imo, it's a great idea overall.

The points of why isn't this possible have already been stated, but I'll put them on one single post again for future reference:

The badges act like milestones. The more you post here, the higher your rank will be. Allowing people to freely change their badge, although being a cool feature, would break the structure of the Badge System. It would just causes confusion and would probably mess up with the permissions of the Groups.

The badges are directly connected to the permissions. Changing anything on them can lead to many consequences, putting as an example the Christmas Donor badge, which caused problems on the permission system, because of the way IP.Board works.

Also, as a point for the future, I saw forums where it was possible to choose which badge you wanted to show, but it wouldn't act as milestone, like it does here. Due for the nature of IP.Board, it can only work on a way or another. If you like your actual badge, the only solution is to reduce your posting activity, and if you don't like it, only option is to post more to move to the next rank.