Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

is Spike really a dragon?

colt .45

I think you are missing my point: you wouldnt keep a human as a pet, so why is it ok for one intelligent being (pony) to keep another intelligent being (dragon) as a pet? 

Because it's just a cartoon and it's funny. :P Also, Spike likes being a pet. He had a chance to not be a pet anymore in Dragon Quest, but he decided he liked being a pet better. :)

Because it's just a cartoon and it's funny. :P Also, Spike likes being a pet. He had a chance to not be a pet anymore in Dragon Quest, but he decided he liked being a pet better. :)

I think you missed a point of the episode: He prefer the company of ponies over dragons. That doesnt mean he wants to be a pet. And dont tell me you dont see the older sister-younger brother chemistry between Twilight and Spike. The fact you relegate him to just "pet" really prevents his character from being expanded on.

Edited by Cobalt-Willow

I think you missed a point of the episode: He prefer the company of ponies over dragons. That doesnt mean he wants to be a pet. And dont tell me you dont see the older sister-younger brother chemistry between Twilight and Spike. The fact you relegate him to just "pet" really prevents his character from being expanded on.

I don't see anything remotely brother and sister about him and Twilight. I see pet and master. I also think it's funnier that way.

• Brohoof 1

I don't see anything remotely brother and sister about him and Twilight. I see pet and master. I also think it's funnier that way.

Except looking at it in that sense is ignoring Spike's character in whole; not to mention that I see no evidence to see him as a pet. In any case episodes like Crystal Empire, Equestria Games, and the various comics he has been in show him as a character that is more than a pet.

I fail to understand this logic. Has he been used as comic relief? Of course, but a pet? I have to disagree.

• Brohoof 4

Except looking at it in that sense is ignoring Spike's character in whole; not to mention that I see no evidence to see him as a pet. In any case episodes like Crystal Empire, Equestria Games, and the various comics he has been in show him as a character that is more than a pet.

I fail to understand this logic. Has he been used as comic relief? Of course, but a pet? I have to disagree.

I think he's a pet. Just because he put a stupid thing on a thing and saved the Crystal Empire doesn't mean he's not a pet anymore. A monkey could do what he did.

I think he's a pet. Just because he put a stupid thing on a thing and saved the Crystal Empire doesn't mean he's not a pet anymore. A monkey could do what he did.

Whether or not a monkey could do it is irrelevant; point is he did it.

Think what you will though; agree to disagree.

True, but if a pet monkey did it, they'd still be a pet. Twilight still owns Spike. ;)

That really doesn't make sense in the grand scheme of things; considering he was allowed to leave in Dragon Quest, and allowed to do what he did in Spike At Your Service. There is no apparent ownership from what I can tell.

That really doesn't make sense in the grand scheme of things; considering he was allowed to leave in Dragon Quest, and allowed to do what he did in Spike At Your Service. There is no apparent ownership from what I can tell.

Twilight let him stop being her pet in Dragon Quest, but then he still wanted to be. In Spike at your Service, he temporarily became Applejack's pet.

Just dont bother. He/ She has an irrational bias against dragons.... and ponies named Rainbow Dash. I think its just trolling.

Please don't put words into my mouth. I like Spike a lot, I think he's a funny and well written character, but I think it's funnier when he's being treated as a pet and abused and then he gets annoyed about it. Funny comic relief type stuff. :P

Edited by Grumpy Enchantress

Please don't put words into my mouth. I like Spike a lot, I think he's a funny and well written character, but I think it's funnier when he's being treated as a pet and abused and then he gets annoyed about it. Funny comic relief type stuff. :P

Well, i dont find it funny. Abuse for no reason is cruelty. We leave that crap to shows like Family Guy. This is suppose to be a kid's show. Cruelty is not magic. Im sorry but i dont like people who take joy in others misery, even if its a fictional character. Pinkie is your favorite character, so wouldnt you want Spike to smile and not think he is useless? 

Well, i dont find it funny. Abuse for no reason is cruelty. We leave that crap to shows like Family Guy. This is suppose to be a kid's show. Cruelty is not magic. Im sorry but i dont like people who take joy in others misery, even if its a fictional character. Pinkie is your favorite character, so wouldnt you want Spike to smile and not think he is useless? 

Lots of shows have always had abuse, that aren't as cruel as something like Family Guy. Looney Tunes, SpongeBob, Ren and Stimpy, and all that other jazz are hilarious cartoons where characters are hurt and stuff. Spike's not real so, it's okay when he gets hurt. :)

Also, he knows he's not useless, it's just funny when thing drop on his head and he gets kicked or has Pinkie Pie barge in the door and crush him and stuff like that. I think Pinkie Pie would find it funny too as long as none of the pain was permanent and Spike didn't feel too bad.  :P

True, but usually the people getting hurt are jerks, and are teenagers and adults. Spike is a child, so maybe thats why i feel more offended by it, since its a BABY dragon getting abused. I just dont find child abuse funny.

But dragons have longer life spans so, he's like 18 or something and it's just considered being a baby in his lifespan. So being crushed and stuff is okay. :3

Spike is a pet. That's why he turned into a dog in Equestria Girls, is Twi's servant, and Tara Strong called him a pet. I think there's also a Twilight Sparkle toy where he comes as a bonus figure as her "pet".

You can view it however you want. Just gonna point out some flaws in logic.

Firstly, there are a ton of possible reasons making Spike a dog.

He can unobtrusively provide support for Twilight that way. Human Spike would throw the social interactions out of balance. We'd be focused on both of them fitting in and adapting when Twilight's the main protagonist. Among several other things.

Secondly, using MLP toy sets as canon is ludicrous. There are so many mix-up's and typos in those things that you can't possibly take it seriously.

I disagree, he is a pet. He has to sleep in a little dog bed when Twi gets a big bed all to herself.

Last we heard, Spike sleeps like a baby on the castle floor. You can go, "Ou, ou. That's how dog's sleep", but that wouldn't make him a dog. In fact, using canon knowledge, we'd probably realize dragons do too.

He can unobtrusively provide support for Twilight that way. Human Spike would throw the social interactions out of balance. We'd be focused on both of them fitting in and adapting when Twilight's the main protagonist. Among several other things.

So can a pet, because he is one.

Secondly, using MLP toy sets as canon is ludicrous. There are so many mix-up's and typos in those things that you can't possibly take it seriously.

The show is based directly off the toys now, though. Look at things like Rainbow Power and such. If they toys say he's a pet, he's a pet.

Last we heard, Spike sleeps like a baby on the castle floor. You can go, "Ou, ou. That's how dog's sleep", but that wouldn't make him a dog. In fact, using canon knowledge, we'd probably realize dragons do too.

That's because Dragons are the shows version of dogs. Spike's a pet.

Winona and Spike are treated equally.

What is your obsession with making Spike less of a being?. Heres the thing: you can laugh at someone and still consider them at the same level as other characters. What is so bad about Spike being treated fairly and considered a little brother, not a pet? BECAUSE HE IS NOT A PET! And you say you dont hate Spike, yet you keep on putting him down, saying he has no worth (saying he is just a pet is like saying he isnt important and Twilight could live without him). Also, Spike is a friend, not a slave. Twilight is NOT a slavedriver.

Edited by Cobalt-Willow

So can a pet, because he is one.

The show is based directly off the toys now, though. Look at things like Rainbow Power and such. If they toys say he's a pet, he's a pet.

That's because Dragons are the shows version of dogs. Spike's a pet.

That logic...

A pet can do it, so if someone does it they are a pet. Nooooo. Wrong xD

One of the toy's is in the show, therefore, toys define the show. ....wrong, again.

Dragons are the shows version of dogs. Proof, please?

What is your obsession with making Spike less of a being?. Heres the thing: you can laugh at someone and still consider them at the same level as other characters. What is so bad about Spike being treated fairly and considered a little brother, not a pet? BECAUSE HE IS NOT A PET! And you say you dont hate Spike, yet you keep on putting him down, saying he has no worth (saying he is just a pet is like saying he isnt important and Twilight could live without him )

In the universe of MLP, he's considered to be less than ponies. I don't think he is like a brother, I think he's like a pet.

In Star Wars, the droids are blatantly slaves. Doesn't mean I support slavery or would think it's right to treat sentient robots as less if we ever got there in technology, but it's accurate to the universe of the franchise. I'm not obsessed with making C3PO lesser, it's just the way it is in the movies.

That logic...

A pet can do it, so if someone does it they are a pet. Nooooo. Wrong xD

You're taking what I said out of context. All I said was it doesn't prove that he isn't a pet.

One of the toy's is in the show, therefore, toys define the show. ....wrong, again.

The toy creators have forced the writers to put a lot of stuff in the show. Like Alicorn Twi and the existence of Equestria Girls. They used to let the writers do what they want, but after Lauren Faust left, the toy makers have had more control. What they say goes.

Dragons are the shows version of dogs. Proof, please?

What more proof do you need than the fact that Spike became a dog in Equestria Girls?