Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

is Spike really a dragon?

colt .45

Well we know from "Equestria Games" that his last name is "The Dragon" but is he actully a dragon? In "Tanks for the memories" when Rainbow Dash is seeking advice about reptiles from Spike she asks him about hibernation, and he says "I'm a dragon and i don't hibernate". However, we know from "Dragonshy" that dragons do infact hibernate (apparently foe hundreds of years) . Yes, Spike does really like to sleep alot, but he dosen't hibernate, which we know dragons do.

Second. Spike dosen't have wings. As seen in the afore mentioned episode "Dragonshy" and later in "Dragon Quest" ( which as far as i can remember are the only two episodes that we see dragons in. Though I could be wrong) every dragon we have ever seen in the show has wings. Except Spike.

So, what do you think? Is Spike actully a dragon, or some other type of related species that shares some traits with real dragons ( like scales, and breathing fire, and being lava proof) that just happens to have the last name "The Dragon"?

• Brohoof 2

I think Spike is a dragon, but dragons don't hibernate nor develop wings until they are much older. Or perhaps he us just a different kind of dragon like what Danny told him in "Spike's Search" (G1 episode.) 

• Brohoof 1

I don't think 'The Dragon' is really his last name. I think that was just a way of addressing him during the games.

• Brohoof 5

Dragons don't hibernate. See Winter Wrap Up. But they do nap. And even if equestria is covered in smoke for 100 years, there's no reason to think the nap would last that long. Besides, that was not a healthy dragon.

There are other reasons besides physiological that spike should be considered a pony, though. Also we have little to go on to know how and why dragons develop the way they do. Maybe ponyville is stunting spike's growth.

Edited by Aidan OGain

Dragons don't hibernate. See Winter Wrap Up. But they do nap. And even if equestria is covered in smoke for 100 years, there's no reason to think the nap would last that long. Besides, that was not a healthy dragon.

There are other reasons besides physiological that spike should be considered a pony, though. Also we have little to go on to know how and why dragons develop the way they do. Maybe ponyville is stunting spike's growth.

Actually, one of the Friends Forever comics shows a town of Dragons in Fillydelphia, and they're all Human-sized and civil, not unlike Spike.

Edited by A.V.
  • Brohoof 2

I think that he is a dragon, but the question is what kind of dragon is he?  Certainly no kind of dragon that we have seen so far in Equestria.  I'll be honest, I am really confused at how his aging works.  Basically what confuses me, is the fact that in "Secret of my Excess", he grows and ages based on how greedy he gets.  My main question is how in Equestria does his aging cycle work?

• Brohoof 4

Yeah, I'm with midnightlegacy... How can there be teenage dragons when he can go from being a BABY dragon to a full-sized adult dragon in a day?? 

I think dragons aren't well establish in the world of Equestria yet.

• Brohoof 3

In season 2 episode 10 it is shown that the more a dragons greed grows then the more the dragon it's self grows and also when he was fully grown-up he did not have wings, witch leads me to believe that like ponys they have different species of dragons and there is such a thing as earth dragons and if so then spike would most likely be an earth dragon, therefore he would not have any wings

• Brohoof 2

Sorry, I don't know how to do that quotes thing.

Soo anyhow. When he grew up too fast in "secret of my excess" still no wings. (And also looked diffrent than when he grew up way too fastin Twi's flashback in " cutie mark chronicals. What's up with that? Lol) I don't read the comics, so I am only basing my knowledge of dragons on what i've seen on the show. The current G4 version of the show. Totally " a diffrent kind of dragon". Like so diffrent that he's not like any other dragon we've ever seen in the show! Like i said, some species related to, and sharing some traits with dragons. Ms. Harshwhinny clearly calls him "Mister The Dragon" more than once. (Damn, now I'm going to have to see if that's what it says on his "dragon code" card in "Spike at your service" ) i totally love that part " Mr. The Dragon. I am giving you the signal now!" Poor little Spiky Wikey.

The dragon in "dragonshy" was totally hibernating. Where in "winter wrap up does it contradict that dragons don't hibernat?

Yes he is a Dragon but nothing like the wild and uncivilized ones we have seen from the episode about the 'Great Dragon Migration'. However soon he's going to grow up into a big and strong Dragon and the Mane 6 might be long dead before that time comes because I'm pretty sure the Dragons in My Little Pony have a really long life span.

• Brohoof 1

The dragon in "dragonshy" was totally hibernating. Where in "winter wrap up does it contradict that dragons don't hibernat?

If spike hibernated, shouldn't twilight or fluttershy have mentioned it to him when they explained hibernation in Winter Wrap Up? It seems more like spike likes naps, but is not in fact hibernating. But you have a point. Maybe he really does.

Yes he is a Dragon but nothing like the wild and uncivilized ones we have seen from the episode about the 'Great Dragon Migration'. However soon he's going to grow up into a big and str
In season 2 episode 10 it is shown that the more a dragons greed grows then the more the dragon it's self grows and also when he was fully grown-up he did not have wings, witch leads me to believe that like ponys they have different species of dragons and there is such a thing as earth dragons and if so then spike would most likely be an earth dragon, therefore he would not have any wings

I like both of theses thermos. The feral dragons vs. pony raised dragons. And the whole "earth dragon" thing.

So do "earth dragons" or feral dragons have the ability to teleport mail scrolls, like Spike can or is that a unique ability that Princess Celistia that she choose to steal a specific "dragonesque" species egg to steal for testing her potential students magic abilities? Because the mailbox thing also seems to be a thing that keeps Spike from being a dragon in the canon of what we know about dragons.

However, we know from "Dragonshy" that dragons do infact hibernate (apparently foe hundreds of years)

That wasn't really "hibernation", that was more so the writers incorporating the age-old tradition of dragons being lazy bastards who sleep all day on piles of gold once they get themselves a nice, big ol' hoard.  The dragon wasn't sleeping because he needed to, he was sleeping because that's what dragons do with giant piles of gold and gems.  Observe:

6d80172605c036bddca4815ad7c8e276-d5enn12

Smaug.jpg

bilbo_and_smaug_by_diegogisbertllorens-d

That's a dragon schtick that goes as far back as Beowulf itself.  Anyways, point is, Spike's a dragon, for sure.  Heck, we've seen him as a full-sized dragon when he let his greed get out of control (a quality that seems to be innate to and particularly touchy for all dragons, almost biological even, at least in Equestria).

• Brohoof 4

That's a dragon schtick that goes as far back as Beowulf itself.

I always thought it was awesome how the writers borrowed from age-old fantasy and mythology.  Like how they use so much ancient Greek mythology as well.  Just makes the lore of FIM so rich.

But yeah, he's definitely a dragon.  I do wonder why he doesn't have wings, though.  You'd think he'd have stubby, non-functional wings or something.  I guess dragons just don't develope them until much later?

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, but he's also Twi's pet so, it ruined all of natural dragon-type stuff and now he's lower than a mere pony. ;)

God i hate that mentality. Spike. Is Not. A PET!!! Owlicious is a pet. Tank is a pet. Angel is a pet. Gummy is a pet. Winnona is a pet. Opal is a pet. Spike however is like a brother or even arguably a son to Twilight, since she raised him since he was a baby. God i hate it when people call Spike inferior. I know i shouldnt be getting this angry, but this is just so annoying. I can understand if you find Spike annoying, but he is no less a normal child than Sweetie Belle, Apple Bloom, Scootaloo, and any other fillies and colts. 

Edited by Cobalt-Willow
  • Brohoof 1

God i hate that mentality. Spike. Is Not. A PET!!! Owlicious is a pet. Tank is a pet. Angel is a pet. Gummy is a pet. Winnona is a pet. Opal is a pet. Spike however is like a brother or even arguably a son to Twilight, since she raised him since he was a baby. God i hate it when people call Spike inferior.

Spike is a pet. That's why he turned into a dog in Equestria Girls, is Twi's servant, and Tara Strong called him a pet. I think there's also a Twilight Sparkle toy where he comes as a bonus figure as her "pet".

Spike is a pet. That's why he turned into a dog in Equestria Girls, is Twi's servant, and Tara Strong called him a pet. I think there's also a Twilight Sparkle toy where he comes as a bonus figure as her "pet".

Well Tara Strong is wrong. Yeah, blasphemy. if it can talk, its equal to a pony (like the Buffalo tribe or those cows or other dragons, just for example). End of story.

Well Tara Strong is wrong. Yeah, blasphemy. if it can talk, its equal to a pony (like the Buffalo tribe or those cows or other dragons, just for example). End of story.

I disagree, he is a pet. He has to sleep in a little dog bed when Twi gets a big bed all to herself. 

I disagree, he is a pet. He has to sleep in a little dog bed when Twi gets a big bed all to herself. 

That is borderline racism. Not very friendship is magic. "Friendship Is Magic, everypony has rights....unless you arent a pony, then go buck yourself" you sound like the lite version of a racist. 

That is borderline racism. Not very friendship is magic. "Friendship Is Magic, everypony has rights....unless you arent a pony, then go buck yourself" you sound like the lite version of a racist. 

LOL! I'm a racist, because of something in a cartoon about ponies and dragons that I didn't even write or have anything to do with? :P

LOL! I'm a racist, because of something in a cartoon about ponies and dragons that I didn't even write or have anything to do with? :P

Um not exactly, but you say you want to be like Pinkie Pie, yet are acting very un-Pinkie Pie like. Pinkie Pie would never think of Spike as just a pet. And who says thats a DOG bed. Maybe he just likes the bed? Doesnt make him a pet

Then again, maybe that would be a good idea for an episode, Spike wondering if all they see in him is just a pet and not a friend. That probably would be a very compelling episode.

Um not exactly, but you say you want to be like Pinkie Pie, yet are acting very un-Pinkie Pie like. Pinkie Pie would never think of Spike as just a pet. And who says thats a DOG bed. Maybe he just likes the bed? Doesnt make him a pet

I think she would think of him as a pet, personally. I think of my friend's dog as their pet.

Being a pet isn't necessarily a bad thing, he can still be Twi's friend and like being her pet and stuff. I'd love to be Twi's pet. :3

Then again, maybe that would be a good idea for an episode, Spike wondering if all they see in him is just a pet and not a friend. That probably would be a very compelling episode.

That's a good idea. Especially since in the first episode Twi talks about how useless friends are, yet constantly hangs out with Spike as if she sees him as something else. Maybe Spike could learn that just because he's a pet doesn't mean Twi loves him any less than her friends. :)

I think she would think of him as a pet, personally. I think of my friend's dog as their pet.

Being a pet isn't necessarily a bad thing, he can still be Twi's friend and like being her pet and stuff. I'd love to be Twi's pet. :3

That's a good idea. Especially since in the first episode Twi talks about how useless friends are, yet constantly hangs out with Spike as if she sees him as something else. Maybe Spike could learn that just because he's a pet doesn't mean Twi loves him any less than her friends. :)

I think you are missing my point: you wouldnt keep a human as a pet, so why is it ok for one intelligent being (pony) to keep another intelligent being (dragon) as a pet?