Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Confederate Flag banned before Independence Day 4th of July

cider float

So this is not happening but I do want to echo what I said in another thread. Banning the flag would serve no purpose. All that would be is censorship and ignoring the past, which both are a bad idea. It would just be ignoring history. Is it bad history? Definitely! However ignoring it just because it is bad can be a recipe for disaster. Sometimes we have to remember the bad things to remind us to not let it happen again. Like TailsIsNotAlone said, all the flag is, is a symbol and symbols can be interpreted in so many ways.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Why stop with the Confederate flag?  What about all the other flags that can be associated with negative historical events and actions.  There was a lot of awful stuff done under the auspices of the regular ol' US flag, and many might argue, awful stuff still being done.  How do the Native Americans (the few who remain, that is) feel about those Stars n' Stripes?  Poor people today, all around the world, suffer the ill effects of our US government's monetary and economic policies, which are devised in buildings over which the US flag flies.  How do those unfortunate people feel about that, as they slip further into poverty, and their countries slip into disorder? 

How about the Union Jack?  I bet there are more than a few worthy accusations that can be leveled against that piece of colored cloth.

Attempting to ban or eradicate a symbol will likely just increase its power, its aura, its mystique, contrary to your intentions.

Edited by Flint Sparklehooves
  • Brohoof 1

Why stop with the Confederate flag?  What about all the other flags that can be associated with negative historical events and actions.  There was a lot of awful stuff done under the auspices of the regular ol' US flag, and many might argue, awful stuff still being done.  How do the Native Americans (the few who remain, that is) feel about those Stars n' Stripes?  Poor people today, all around the world, suffer the ill effects of our US government's monetary and economic policies, which are devised in buildings over which the US flag flies.  How do those unfortunate people feel about that, as they slip further into poverty, and their countries slip into disorder? 

How about the Union Jack?  I bet there are more than a few worthy accusations that can be leveled against that piece of colored cloth.

Attempting to ban or eradicate a symbol will likely just increase its power, its aura, its mystique, contrary to your intentions.

I'm German.  I suppose I could start sporting the swastika and claim that it's a symbol of historical significance to me.  Completely ignoring the associations that most people make with it (and rightly so).  It is a borrowed symbol, after all; it just happened to be adopted by one of the most disgusting people to ever walk the planet.  Hmm...  Reminds me of how the Confederate flag has been flown by these a-holes:

attachicon.gif150629_kkk_confederate_flag_ap_1160_956x519.jpg

Instead of complaining about political correctness, you could just, Idunno, get with the times.  I don't even have to give a shit about the flag's history; its present ain't too pretty either.

Different flags mean different things to different people. Perhaps most universally hated flag would be that of Nazi Germany, but I believe in most other cases opinions about certain flag is much more mixed. For instance some will may see USSR flag as time of great Soviet power whereas others will see it more as symbol of oppression. Some may see US flag to represent freedom whereas others will see it more as symbol of senseless destruction.

For me, general rule is that intention of said individual is more important than others' interpretations. If for most people who wave Confederate Flag consider it as symbol of Southern pride, rebellion, etc. and has nothing to do with discrimination in their intent, I see no problem.

• Brohoof 1

I don't think you'd be complaining if they banned the nazi flag.

But they haven't banned the Nazi flag.

Displaying a Nazi flag is protected in the United States by the First Amendment.

Just like the rebel flag is supposed to be.

• Brohoof 2

http://m.snopes.com/obama-bans-confederate-flag/

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/daytona-wont-ban-confederate-flags-this-weekend/

Come on guys, do some fact checking and source digging before making bold claims. Took me 10 seconds flat.

The basis of this topic has been verified innacurate. As it is presented as fact and not opinion ... locking.

• Brohoof 4