Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Could G5 be in the works?

Sobana

Most likely they want to have a G5 Ready after G4???

If that's the case, I'd welcome it!

The biggest thing I would not be looking forward to after FiM ends is the 2+ year gap between shows. Waiting for Robots in Disguise after Prime was a pain because of it.

• Brohoof 1

Copyright issues are involved. Lauren Faust might throw a fit if they hired someone who just ripped off her style.

Hasbro holds the copyright to the MLP universe. They can do whatever they want with it regardless of what she thinks of it.

• Brohoof 2

Hasbro holds the copyright to the MLP universe. They can do whatever they want with it regardless of what she thinks of it.

Actually, that depends on the legalities. It's very possible to hold some level of copyright or trademark work even though the parent company has the primary copyright of the franchise. For example, Thomas & Friends was copyrighted by the Britt Allcroft Company, but the original theme song was copyrighted by Junior Campbell and Mike O'Donnell. When the composers left the company (around the time HiT bought the rights to TTTE), so did HiT's rights for using the theme. That's why when Season 8 aired, they changed from this:

…to this:

• Brohoof 2

@@Dark Qiviut, while it's true that it depends on the situation, in this case Mrs. Faust has stated that she doesn't hold the copyright to FiM.

Q: Can I get your permission to draw the characters from MLP:FiM?

Though I developed the Friendship is Magic and imagined the characters, I do not own them.  If you feel you need permission to use the characters in any form, you need to contact Hasbro.

From this page.

Edited by Grepper
  • Brohoof 3

My thought is if they do make G5 with characters from G4 that not all the characters will make the trip over. I'm thinking mostly Applejack won't be a main character there. She is the least favorite to place on merchandise and merchandise is what sells the show.

• Brohoof 3

With the movie in the works AND another season after season 5, G4 still has at least a few more years ahead of it, which will be a pretty insane run to be honest. I think we should just the years to come really. :lol:

I'm sure for as popular of a series as MLP Is, it was highly sought after.

Start a career in a franchise with millions of zealous fans? You can go places if you do good in that.

• Brohoof 1

Honestly, I don't care if G4 ends, I kind of want it to end a little bit. It was a nice run, but I think it's time for ponies to return after the upcoming movie and make way for a new fandom.

I'm sure Hasbro is well aware of how far MLP has come in the past five years.  They wouldn't want to throw all that away, but eventually they will have gone as far as they can go with things as they are now. I believe their intention with the open position is try to build on what's already been done. My theory is that they intend for FiM to become a film only franchise while G5 does a new series, kinda like Star Trek in the late eighties.

Hasbro will reboot the toys with each generation, so the G5 show will almost certainly will be a brand new cast in the next show because the TV shows are advertisments to the toy line. It might be the same universe as FIM, but If the current mane 6 return next show then they will likely be side characters.

Hasbro will reboot the toys with each generation, so the G5 show will almost certainly will be a brand new cast in the next show because the TV shows are advertisments to the toy line. It might be the same universe as FIM, but If the current mane 6 return next show then they will likely be side characters.

I'm not so sure about that. They could become legacy characters in the same way that Transformers are. The same characters come back each generation but with a new style and setting. They seemed to have hit the winning combination with this set (one billion in retail a year) so they might want to keep it.

• Brohoof 1

@@Sobana,

Do we really want a re-imagining of Twilight Sparkle and others as the main characters though? I wouldn't mind seeing them again as side characters even if it is a new universe in G5, but I want new ponies with different personalities being the new main characters.

Anyways, having the current main characters be in G5 as side characters sounds like something Hasbro would do, it allows Hasbro to keep selling the current mane 6 toys in addition to the main character group in the next gen, so they keep capitalizing on gen 4s characters popularity into the G5 era.

Well, the reason I fell in love with this show was because of the characters. If you change the characters I love to much will I still be in love with the show or just the memory of the love I had for the show? It is a scary thought to think about.

Knowing Hasbro, probably. The newest Transformers was being worked on during Prime's third and final season.

And we should be glad MLP is going to get 6 seasons that we know of...Hasbro's track record is about 3-4 seasons per series.

Edited by Zhortac
  • Brohoof 1

I hope they don't replace G4 until atleast 2020. *shivers in the corner at the thought*

Think you're absolutely right TePineer. But I know there is a way to last G4 forever is have Hasbro and DHX establish a new studio with Toronto, Los Angeles and Vancouver locations. I would call it "My Little Studio" or "Studio Friendship". I don't think I'm ready for G5 though. It's the only way to get our favourite G4 to live forever on and on. Much like The Pokémon Company who handles Pokémon on their own.

Edited by MAIKUN

Think you're absolutely right TePineer. But I know there is a way to last G4 forever is have Hasbro and DHX establish a new studio with Toronto, Los Angeles and Vancouver locations. I would call it "My Little Studio" or "Studio Friendship". I don't think I'm ready for G5 though. It's the only way to get our favourite G4 to live forever on and on. Much like The Pokémon Company who handles Pokémon on their own.

That's extremely wishful thinking. It's more than likely not to happen. Who knows, maybe gen 5 will be better than gen 4? Besides, embrace the end man, bronies have to come to an end at some point. One day they will be like other fanbases of franchises that have moved on from the generation that captured them. They will shrink, become more tight knit and less in the main stream. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Embrace change.

I doubt it since gen 4 has been both doing really well and getting them tons of money. I expect gen 4 to last at least 2 more years. IF they are working on gen 5 right now then I think they're working on who'll be working on gen 5, characters, the show's style, things like that.

• Brohoof 1

Before we even try to speculate about G5, let’s first take a look at another one of H-Bro’s toy brands: Transformers.

No matter how many overhauls they’ve gotten since their introduction in 1984, their story remains just the same-ish. We still have Optimus Prime and Megatron duking it out with the help of all other Autobots and Decepticons. So why by Celie’s royal bottom would you want to spend lots of resources and time to completely revamp a working thing? If anything, H-Bro would introduce another story in the same/similar universe, perhaps even change the art style, or continue with what they have, then call it G5 for the sake of logistics. Anything else seems to me like a big waste of resources, especially since the toy sales are still performing. You see, the mythology for Transformers never ceased to evolve because it was a boy brand, but now that we’re all equal their girl brands could start getting similar treatment. Of course MLP also witnessed some "evolution", but it never had so much stuff to work with.

Perhaps I’m totally off the mark with Transformers (and I hope someone corrects me if I am), but still: if you want to see the future, turn your eyes towards the past. Who knows, perhaps this whole "G5 thing" will be really awesome. If not … life goes on.

• Brohoof 1

I think they will try to keep G4 going for as long as it is profitable. 4G is the most successful and popular the franchise has ever been. I doubt they will start another generation unless this one fails and they believe a new one will make them more money.

• Brohoof 2

Why not get Meghan McCarthy to be the showrunner for the next generation too?

Might be better for the next generation to use a completely different staff, studio, and vocal talent, plus Meghan is also the Head Storyteller for the Girl Brands for Hasbro now so may still be involved in some capacity.

Hasbro is just preparing for the future right now, and I think the MLPFIM movie in 2017 will serve as a means to end the G4 animated series.

Edited by UnknownFry
  • Brohoof 1

Equestria Daily might have reported last year in February only 5 more years (meaning less than 4 now), but FiM is getting over twice the audience they expected because of Bronies, so there is hope.  I would assume this is by far Hasbro's biggest success, so it would not be a wise move on their part to move on to generation 5 so early.  SpongeBob's pilot episode, Help Wanted, aired in 1999, and The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie aired in 2004.  SpongeBob is still going strong now after over a decade; they just recently made another movie!  Why should we fear that the MLP movie will be the grand finale then?  Sure, MLP:FiM has no chance at running for as long as Doctor Who, but it certainly has a chance at running as long as SpongeBob!  As a previous person on this thread said, I think we still have quite a bit of G4 left to come.

• Brohoof 1